Anybody See CRB Press Conference Today

I'm glad he said something, if for no other reason than it forces everyone to acknowledge that the committee very obviously did not award seeds based on merit. Our guys put in the work and did everything they were supposed to do, and the committee said, "Okay, that's nice, but that doesn't fit the story we're trying to tell."

Dumb.

NCAA Tournament selection committee chair explains Tennessee's No. 3 seed in bracket

Reynolds never answered the question when asked. Talked about Wisconsin...
Lunardi....made something up about 20% a day later said he would have had them as a 2 seed after he defended the 3 seed.

I don't care about the seed because we are going to win this tournament. It would be nice to hear the committee chair state we screwed up in several cases and I guess we will recommend that to others to not use the dart set and blind folds in the corner of the room

Last edited:
The SEC reps on the committee were from Kentucky and Alabama. Kentucky got the highest #2 seed and Alabama got a better seed that their resume called for. They screwed the rest of the SEC and took care of their own. We need new committee reps.

Wheeling and dealing is the impression that gives one huh. Sold out TAM and traded votes for their schools to the ACC and Big10.

Thanks for the update. I hope somebody with some voice forces a reconciliation of the brackets with the facts.

Barnes: “If the conference tournament doesn’t mean anything and if the teams that are already slotted to be in the tournament can’t improve their seeding, we should stay at home and let the teams that are trying to get to the (NCAA) tournament fight for that one bid and give our league a chance to get more."

He makes a good point.

At the end of the day, we still have to win the games, but he is right. As they say, it’s another data point. If the committee is going to ignore the results, the only reason to play the games is for the money. Frankly, I’m glad he’s angry. It will put a little more fire under this team.

Tennessee got punked by the committee. Furthermore, our SEC “brethren” took up for themselves without regard to conference allegiance. Makes sense that Alabama and Kentucky take up for themselves. All the more reason for me to hope both those schools get clobbered early.

Last edited:
It honestly appears that the committee did not use metrics at all....Texas A&M vs Alabama

As I mentioned in another thread, it's a myth that the committee does any real analytical work. First, they're all athletic directors or league commissioners, aren't they? So they're fat cats used to having others do grunt work--and I suspect that the committee has staffers who do the grunt wort on selection, seeding, bracket placement. Second, I strongly suspect most of the brackets are laid out well before this past weekend--and there is not much inclination to mess with them based on weekend results, a point Lunardi has made. Third, I strongly suspect that the committee uses the projections of drones like Lunardi and maybe one or two others to prepare their brackets...because to do otherwise would require fat cats doing work. The Committee Fat Cats are not pouring over metrics for weeks prior to the big reveal--that much is certain. Fourth, there is obviously quite a bit of laziness involved in bracket selection and seeding--because any sort of genuine analytical work would have revealed that Tennessee had a much bigger call on a 2 seed than Duke. But Duke had long been projected as a 2 seed, Tennessee had long been projected as a 3--and both Lunardi and the committee (the latter perhaps relying on the former) were too lazy to do some digging and make changes. And the same holds for other seeding issues. This is why when the committee chairman and Lundardi are asked to explain some selection/seeding decisions, they typically offer very little specific info but rather blah, blah, mumble, hem and haw without saying much--as we saw with Lunardi last night.

As I mentioned in another thread, it's a myth that the committee does any real analytical work. First, they're all athletic directors or league commissioners, aren't they? So they're fat cats used to having others do grunt work--and I suspect that the committee has staffers who do the grunt wort on selection, seeding, bracket placement. Second, I strongly suspect most of the brackets are laid out well before this past weekend--and there is not much inclination to mess with them based on weekend results, a point Lunardi has made. Third, I strongly suspect that the committee uses the projections of drones like Lunardi and maybe one or two others to prepare their brackets...because to do otherwise would require fat cats doing work. The Committee Fat Cats are not pouring over metrics for weeks prior to the big reveal--that much is certain. Fourth, there is obviously quite a bit of laziness involved in bracket selection and seeding--because any sort of genuine analytical work would have revealed that Tennessee had a much bigger call on a 2 seed than Duke. But Duke had long been projected as a 2 seed, Tennessee had long been projected as a 3--and both Lunardi and the committee (the latter perhaps relying on the former) were too lazy to do some digging and make changes. And the same holds for other seeding issues. This is why when the committee chairman and Lundardi are asked to explain some selection/seeding decisions, they typically offer very little specific info but rather blah, blah, mumble, hem and haw without saying much--as we saw with Lunardi last night.
Things changed. Computers Available. Use people that know and are connected to the sport vs Adminstrators that cannot make decisions and normally have gophers doing the work

I agree with you about the lazy people but they need one person in charge and the rest workers who are experts and understand bodies of work...There is nothing I see that they did the job that they were required or asked to do...All this does is cause confusion and choas...this was a piss poor performance this year by an unqualified group...

It's not about Tennessee, we have several teams that are not worthy of a bid playing in this tournament

Obviously Lunardi knew something that 97% of college basketball did not in being so firm on having the Vols out of the 2 seed.

He knew the thoughts of the committee, but seemed confident in it and wasn't sharing the reasoning behind it.

So yes, I agree with Barnes. The committee should have to answer questions from the national media following their decision. The process they use should be held accountable. But on the outside looking in it almost seems that random teams were left out and other teams were stubbornly left in.

Obviously Lunardi knew something that 97% of college basketball did not in being so firm on having the Vols out of the 2 seed.

He knew the thoughts of the committee, but seemed confident in it and wasn't sharing the reasoning behind it.

So yes, I agree with Barnes. The committee should have to answer questions from the national media following their decision. The process they use should be held accountable. But on the outside looking in it almost seems that random teams were left out and other teams were stubbornly left in.

My assumption is Lunardi knows the committee considers how coaches have done in the previous tournaments. Barnes has a history of choking and his teams falling short in the NCAA Tourny. He can’t say that and the committee surely can’t say it, but it does explain why Duke and UK are higher seeded. Barnes has made 3 tournaments at UT and has lost to a lower seed in all of them including a 5-12 loss and a 3-11 loss.

Maybe Barnes should have called a press conference and indicate we were considering forfeiting the championship game and they needed to be prepared to call an emergency meeting to place TAM in the bracket. The next day he could come out and say JUST KIDDING.

But really, it he wants to make an issue does anybody know if he is still on the rules committee? If he is he can introduce rules defining the processes for the selection and the reporting required at the conclusion of the process. Might not pass but would be fun while it lasted.

Edited to add the following after I looked it up.

NCAA Men’s Basketball Rules Committee
The chart below lists the members of the committee who voted on and approved the rules included in this edition of the book.
This information is being included for historical purposes.
Name Institution Term Expiration

Rick Barnes University of Tennessee, Knoxville 9-1-23

Last edited:
Asking Selection Committee to answer questions? Uncharacteristic of Him...But Warranted...Feed the Fire..He has got the teams back...glad he did it.

Rick Barnes wants NCAA Tournament selection committee to answer questions

Here are the guys that need to be challenged if the article I took this from is accurate...... HOOPSHD.com

NCAA Tournament Selection Committee
The 2021-2022 Selection Committee (the year the term is up is in parenthesis):

TOM BURNETT (2022) – Southland Conference Commissioner (Chairman)
MIKE O’BRIEN (2022) – Toledo Athletic Director
BERNADETTE MCGLADE (2023) – Atlantic 10 Commissioner
CHRIS REYNOLDS (2023) – Bradley Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics (Vice-Chairman)
CHARLES MCCLELLAND (2024) – SWAC Commissioner
JAMIE POLLARD (2024) – Iowa State Athletic Director
BUBBA CUNNINGHAM (2025) – North Carolina Athletic Director
MARK COYLE (2026) – Minnesota Athletic Director
MARTIN JARMOND (2026) – UCLA Athletic Director
GREG BYRNE (2026) – Alabama Athletic Director
KEITH GILL (2026) – Sun Belt Commissioner
BARRY COLLIER (2026) – Butler Athletic Director

Maybe a coordinated email blitz for all the guys not rotating off this year demanding logic and fairness when they vote next year would improve the results. Each team ranking needs to be pubic like the football polls To do nothing only emboldens agenda driven votes. Maybe this calls for filling the 36 slots with only the results of a BCS like compilation of polls after the last game is played. Of course that does not work either as we were an automatic qualifier and Duke and KY and AU were not. Maybe you roll out the whole bracket based on the numbers, automatic qualifiers or not. If there is no accountability or stated criteria and formula this old system has proven it is not workable anymore. This could not have been data driven and does not really pass an eye test driven result. It appears to be a backroom wheeling and dealing result.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back