Any word on Fulkerson coming back

Idk...I would consider a 31 game season a pretty good sample size, he progressed, that’s typical of many players. Kyle Alexander developed into a pretty good player his senior season, I think COVID effected Fulky quite a bit...he’s playing less minutes and getting winded more than I ever recall seeing from him, and that’s not mentioning looking leaner.

He has had what, maybe two full seasons here, where he was not dealing with COVID/injuries? The projections for him have been all over the map, but when healthy, I think he showed some ability to play at a top level.

I think he would have to prove himself in the D Leauge, but when healthy and giving full effort, he can play at a top level. He's gonna have to add a few pounds though.

I say it's his life. I will be happy for him whatever he chooses.

He has had what, maybe two full seasons here, where he was not dealing with COVID/injuries? The projections for him have been all over the map, but when healthy, I think he showed some ability to play at a top level.

I think he would have to prove himself in the D Leauge, but when healthy and giving full effort, he can play at a top level. He's gonna have to add a few pounds though.

I think he is truly conflicted about what is the best for him, and maybe cannot reach a final decision till this season plays out. After 5 years I have no idea where he is on his degree paths, and certainly no idea if ANYONE can advise him whether his basketball prospects COULD be better or worse if he elected to go the 6 year route, could be neither I guess. He has said multiple times he and his family would pray about it and I hope he does and goes with the results. I will have wonderful memories of him no matter how it plays out. I saw some of the high end Fulky back today, hope Pons and JJJ join him in the tourneys. They have to lead the way for us to excel. Vescovi and Bailey can help and the freshmen can help, but we need leadership they cannot provide in our coaches systems on both ends. I don't know if the off performances lately will factor in his decision process, or which way if they do.

The only level I see him playing at after college is over seas. He may rather go straight in to the workforce, who knows but I would bet on one of those 2 things. After seeing him at the end of the game and hearing his post game interview seems likely he ain't coming back for sure. Guess he can always change his mind but he looked and sounded like someone yesterday that had his mind made up about coming back for a 6th year.

The only level I see him playing at after college is over seas. He may rather go straight in to the workforce, who knows but I would bet on one of those 2 things. After seeing him at the end of the game and hearing his post game interview seems likely he ain't coming back for sure. Guess he can always change his mind but he looked and sounded like someone yesterday that had his mind made up about coming back for a 6th year.

Those partial years have to be a factor in evaluations at the next level. If he is informed that if he came back, and executed at the highest level for an entire season he could elevate his chances in the pros, then he might consider taking the extra year. He would have to do a risk/reward analysis with this and other career inputs and let the chips fall. Another inconsistent year could have it's cost as well, but could provide clarity in his life plan. I bet he will have some job offers in whatever his field is in. Assuming the freshmen are drafted and Pons moves on, he would be very valuable as experience in the post, ORN will get his shot, and Chandler could make a lot of guys better including JJJ, Ticket and Bailey. at the 2 and 3.. I would bet the staff is looking for a 5/4 transfer as well. If we have some guys on the bench look elsewhere at seasons end and show some holes on the squad coach might pull in another HS guy with stars and ability. Not a simple decision, but I am sure he is not wanting to declare early enough to impact his pro analysis. I have been his biggest fan since the day he committed so I will support whatever he does.

You could be right, but I know that many people had him written off, and I began to doubt him a bit myself, before the late season run that he had last year. I think when healthy and motivated, he can play with the best, if he puts on enough weight. That's a lot of "if's", but the potential is there for a short NBA career. Having said that, you are probably right that he would be better served with a short career overseas, and come on back home to Tennessee.

Reactions: LibertyVol
I think he is truly conflicted about what is the best for him, and maybe cannot reach a final decision till this season plays out. After 5 years I have no idea where he is on his degree paths, and certainly no idea if ANYONE can advise him whether his basketball prospects COULD be better or worse if he elected to go the 6 year route, could be neither I guess. He has said multiple times he and his family would pray about it and I hope he does and goes with the results. I will have wonderful memories of him no matter how it plays out. I saw some of the high end Fulky back today, hope Pons and JJJ join him in the tourneys. They have to lead the way for us to excel. Vescovi and Bailey can help and the freshmen can help, but we need leadership they cannot provide in our coaches systems on both ends. I don't know if the off performances lately will factor in his decision process, or which way if they do.

He definitely gets into my all time top 10 favorite players. He's a guy that so many people have doubted, but he when he gives his all, he's a pretty darn good player.

Reactions: LibertyVol
You could be right, but I know that many people had him written off, and I began to doubt him a bit myself, before the late season run that he had last year. I think when healthy and motivated, he can play with the best, if he puts on enough weight. That's a lot of "if's", but the potential is there for a short NBA career. Having said that, you are probably right that he would be better served with a short career overseas, and come on back home to Tennessee.

He is nowhere near an NBA player. He would have to play the 5 as he cannot play on the perimeter at all. Lacks the strength and athleticism to play the 5 in the NBA with no upside for a team to draft and stash him. Doesn't offer any 3 point range whatsoever and no positional flexibility on offense or defense. Lacks elite athleticism to rim protect or be a lob threat at the next level. Nice guy, but no chance at the NBA level.

For reference on the center position in the NBA, Luka Garza is viewed as a mid-2nd rounder at best right now and may not get drafted at all and he is shooting over 40% from 3 this year.

Those partial years have to be a factor in evaluations at the next level. If he is informed that if he came back, and executed at the highest level for an entire season he could elevate his chances in the pros, then he might consider taking the extra year. He would have to do a risk/reward analysis with this and other career inputs and let the chips fall. Another inconsistent year could have it's cost as well, but could provide clarity in his life plan. I bet he will have some job offers in whatever his field is in. Assuming the freshmen are drafted and Pons moves on, he would be very valuable as experience in the post, ORN will get his shot, and Chandler could make a lot of guys better including JJJ, Ticket and Bailey. at the 2 and 3.. I would bet the staff is looking for a 5/4 transfer as well. If we have some guys on the bench look elsewhere at seasons end and show some holes on the squad coach might pull in another HS guy with stars and ability. Not a simple decision, but I am sure he is not wanting to declare early enough to impact his pro analysis. I have been his biggest fan since the day he committed so I will support whatever he does.
If he could get to last year Fulky he could have a successful overseas career but that's the ceiling as I see it. The only reason I would come back if I was him would be if I decided to get another degree and go in to work force after I graduated. But he can do that right now too. Really comes down to if he wants to play over seas and make some money that way, because even at his highest level in college I don't see him as an NBA player. You either have to be completely dominant under the goal or at least have some range to your game, and he doesn't have either of those.

I hate to say it but I dont think there will even be substantially more money for him to play overseas than he could make in a normal career here, maybe in the athletic department. I just dont think he has much a professional career in general. Love the dude but if I were advising him I'd just tell him to conserve his body and start a career

If he could get to last year Fulky he could have a successful overseas career but that's the ceiling as I see it. The only reason I would come back if I was him would be if I decided to get another degree and go in to work force after I graduated. But he can do that right now too. Really comes down to if he wants to play over seas and make some money that way, because even at his highest level in college I don't see him as an NBA player. You either have to be completely dominant under the goal or at least have some range to your game, and he doesn't have either of those.

I agree with your assessment, if you make the assumption that he cannot/will not gain weight and strength going forward. That is the only way that I could see him in the NBA. I really expected him to have more of that this year. I don't know if COVID-19 intervened, or maybe it is simply not in the cards for him.

VN Store

Back