Any Sprint Stars That Can Play Football?

GoodlettsvilleVol

We all know about Anthony Miller and Willy Gault. Not only were they great at UT but had great pro careers. There were others.

Are there sprinters on the track team we could turn into football players?

Our history of doing this is well documented.

Stretch that defense!

PS. Just looked up the story of athlete extraordinaire Richmond Flowers of Dothan Alabama. Bear Bryant once said of him "he's too good to be coached by anybody but me."

Flowers dad was an anti-segregation Attorney General of the state of Alabama who opposed George Wallace's policies. At one of Richmond Jr's high school games a group beat up Richmond's father in retaliation for his views.

As the record shows the Flowers turned down Bryant's Alabama offer and ended up at Tennessee.

Flowers was good at football but even better as a world class sprinter/hurdler.

He was a star on our track team.

Fascinating story.

Last edited:
We all know about Anthony Miller and Willy Gault. Not only were they great at UT but had great pro careers. There were others.

Stretch that defense!

The multi-sport athlete beyond middle school is slowly fading away. Everything is so specialized now, I'm not sure if you'll see much of that anymore.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
The multi-sport athlete beyond middle school is slowly fading away. Everything is so specialized now, I'm not sure if you'll see much of that anymore.

My son is currently the only male athlete at his 6A high school to play a fall team sport and spring team sport at the varsity level. (And his case was rare - He was the soccer player who was brought to the football team to kick and ended up playing at strong safety)

My son is currently the only male athlete at his 6A high school to play a fall team sport and spring team sport at the varsity level. (And his case was rare - He was the soccer player who was brought to the football team to kick and ended up playing at strong safety)

I know what you mean. When I was in high-school, almost EVERYBODY who played sports played more than one. If you played football, you most likely also played basketball or baseball. Some wrestled. Some were in track and field. I played football and baseball. Some played golf. My high school didn't even have soccer until my junior year.

Stretch that defense!
Who the heck would know? No coverage of track, volleyball, tennis (only when they win sec and make final 4), baseball( only when we have a very good team), swimming, and other secondary sports. it couldn’t cost the news-sentinel much to hire one sports writer to cover these sports. Good training for better jobs. Even lady Vols bb doesn’t get much pub anymore.
I can remember when Tennessee was a track and swimming power. Are we any good now? I did read that the lady golf coach was let go. What was their record? Do we have a men’s golf team? I think we do.

Leonard Scott was a track guy back in the day. Played WR but couldn’t catch a cold. Did have a few bright spots but zero consistency.

Leonard Scott was a track guy back in the day. Played WR but couldn’t catch a cold. Did have a few bright spots but zero consistency.
Richmond Flowers from Alabama, was one from mid 60’s would have been a 5 star recruit that coach Dickey’s staff stole from Bear. Good story about that, and aftermath.

Reactions: malibuvol
Hey, while we are at it? Let's find another Woody Quinn.

VN Store

Back