Any recourse for a car repair shop damaging a car?

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

My son took his car into a shop to get a windshield replaced and in the process they somehow cut a chunk out of the dash in the corner. Of course they’re denying it. Not sure if there’s any recourse possible.

Any thoughts?

Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

My son took his car into a shop to get a windshield replaced and in the process they somehow cut a chunk out of the dash in the corner. Of course they’re denying it. Not sure if there’s any recourse possible.

Any thoughts?

Absolutely, worked in a repair shop. Most of the time they hire a contractor to come do it. So, keep hounding them. They’ll cave.

Reactions: BucksnortVol
Talk to the owner of the shop. It should be apparent that the cut is fresh. Shop should have insurance. I'm a car dealer and I have cameras to check such things.. Any ethical owner would give you the benefit of the doubt if they don't.

Reactions: Freak and Pacer92
Talk to the owner of the shop. It should be apparent that the cut is fresh. Shop should have insurance. I'm a car dealer and I have cameras to check such things.. Any ethical owner would give you the benefit of the doubt if they don't.
Thanks. We’ll see. That haven’t seemed eager to do anything about it so far.

Is it part of a chain, or an independent? If a chain, start escalating up.

For either, check on FB and Twitter to see if they have a presence there, and mention to the owner that you'll start posting feedback if they won't properly fix this.

You can always try Better Business Bureau, but that's pretty much of a joke.

Did your son pay by credit card? If so, there's a method to contest the charge, meaning that the CC bank will go after the shop. I don't know if any company other than American Express will stand by you these days though.

If you have any before and after photos, that should aid your argument and petition for redress.

Is it part of a chain, or an independent? If a chain, start escalating up.

For either, check on FB and Twitter to see if they have a presence there, and mention to the owner that you'll start posting feedback if they won't properly fix this.

You can always try Better Business Bureau, but that's pretty much of a joke.

Did your son pay by credit card? If so, there's a method to contest the charge, meaning that the CC bank will go after the shop. I don't know if any company other than American Express will stand by you these days though.
It’s a local shop unfortunately. And I may threaten to take the social media/Angie’s list route. It’s something I guess.

Thanks for the post.

Reactions: VolNExile
If you have any before and after photos, that should aid your argument and petition for redress.
I have an after photo and it’s clear it had just happened. There were still bits of the dash around the area they punctured.

They probably dont know who they are dealing with either. VN could ruin a business if it had to.
Recourse, yes. Just call upon VN and Vol Twitter. We will ruin them for you, Freak.
Probably could. I don’t really want to ruin them. Lol. I just want them to fix their mistake.

You might mention that you are a "long-time frequent contributor" on a local internet message board with 61,000 members. Heck, I have no doubt that at least somebody there is on VN and has possibly even seen this thread.

No business with any sense would risk the backlash over just fixing the dash.

The magic phrase: “small claims court”

In the meantime, document, document, document. After each visit or phone call, summarize on paper (or in Word doc) what was said by both sides. Keep the pic, of course.

If you do have to go to small claims court, if you can provide the judge the record of your attempts to get them to fix the damage, and all they can do is stammer, you should win. Unless the judge and shop owner are family, of course. 1565827547785.gif

eta: if you or your son keep making notes in a notebook while you’re talking to them, they might get jittery enough to take you seriously!

Reactions: Freak
Update. It seems as though they've finally admitted fault and are going to look at a fix. I'm not sure how you fix a punctured dash, though, without replacing the entire thing.

It can be repaired, but if not done right it will come apart and look awful in a year or two.
Not that I am suggesting, but...
image.jpg

Probably could. I don’t really want to ruin them. Lol. I just want them to fix their mistake.

Civil matter. Small claims court. Once they get served, they'll know you're serious. My guess would be that fixing the dash is a lot cheaper than an attorney, or closing up shop for court.

Reactions: Freak

VN Store

Back