Any of you guys/gals flown with Allegiant?

JL24

I'm not a veteran flyer, so would like to hear from those who are.

Allegiant has quite a few flights out of McGhee Tyson.

They are really cheap compared to the bigger airlines.

Am I risking my life flying with Allegiant or are they as safe as any other airline?

Downside is they have a lot of cancelled flights. You could be in a pinch if they cancel.

The checked bag process (at MEM) is awful with Allegiant. Usually at Memphis, you can get there 60 mins before flight (if you have checked bag). With Allegiant, you will need the entire 2 hours.

Im 6 2 and my wife is 5 11. The seats are really tight. We paid for an exit row and those seats shook/vibrated the entire time. I guess my wife enjoyed that aspect more than me.

About the only destination we will fly Allegiant to is FLL.

Reactions: ATC_VOL
I probably hate flying more than anyone you know and since leaving the USAF I have successfully avoided it for two decades until recently. I have to go back and forth between Knox and Florida now, and Allegiant suits me fine. Cheap, nice little Airbus planes, no-frills, just get me there alive and I'm happy.

I am really a white-knuckle passenger. Allegiant doesn't even raise my blood pressure. Everything has been a pleasure while flying with them.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I have had no trouble flying Allegiant out of Knoxville. Flown probably 10 times on one of their aircrafts. The plane is cramped though, I’m 6’3” and my head is pretty much right at the top when walking the aisle, and also when sitting at the window seat.

I like Allegiant, especially that they now fly out of SRQ!

Flown it many times into Knoxville and never really had an issue. Been really convenient to have that nonstop flight to TYS so we can get everyone to and from FL. Got really delayed once by mechanical issues but had a replacement aircraft a few hours later.

As for safety, I have to believe they're still regulated like all other airlines. I see no increased risk there

I haven’t flown with Allegiant, but I don’t think cramped seating is unique to them. I have been utterly disappointed with how uncomfortable flights have become.

I fly Allegiant a lot. Never had any problem except delays here and there which happen on every airline.

Pro Tip: Buy tickets at the airport and they are even cheaper. Knocks out the extra fees you pay online. I bought 4 round trip tickets to Orlando earlier this year. Simply driving 10 minutes to the airport to purchase saved me $144. (Ended up being $56/person RT).

They also have $20 off coupons on Facebook all the time. Book each leg with a coupon and save. Flew RT to Houston in Feb for $18.

Reactions: ATC_VOL and McDad
When my folks were in Knoxville, I used them a lot for the flights between St. Pete to Knoxville or Chatt. Except for mechanical issues 1 time and a few flight delays due to weather, I never had a problem.

I had a non-refundable Allegiant flight booked to TYS the last month of my dad's life. Unfortunately, his decline was more rapid than I expected and he passed away before the flight. I wrote to Allegiant and got a nice condolence email from one of their directors and a voucher for future use.

I mean its a run-of-the-mill value airline. Everything extra will be an upcharge. I did have one really bad experience, on a flight to Tampa, as we were starting to descend, something was off with the pressure in the plane and it felt like my head was going to explode.

Flown several times with them. I make every effort to not pay for anything, just for fun, so I am typically flying for $40 or $50 each way. I find them to be quite efficient. Never any problems.

The fact that they fly direct really is remarkable; in effect you are getting non-stop service, otherwise unavailable, for 1/10th the money. At least I am. YMMV.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Flown with them twice. No issues and no concerns about safety.

Like others, expect a value airline experience. I thought my plane's seating was very tight. Also, thought the seats did not have the normal padding and leather (maybe a weight saving move???)

Reactions: Wireless1
Flown with them 4-5 times with no problems and am flying with them to Houston Friday. All the flights I’ve been on appeared to be newish planes and I didn’t notice them being any more cramped than coach on the bigger airlines. I didn’t know tickets could be purchased at the airport, will try that in the future. Be careful with their online booking as everything is an extra charge including carry on luggage, checked luggage, and selecting a seat. Easy to pay more in fees than the cost of the flight.

Last edited:
Even if they were "more cramped" which I doubt, you're spending a lot less time on there by flying nonstop. When you throw in a layover, with Allegient I'm getting there in a third the time.

I fly Allegiant a lot from Nashville to Port Charlotte..New planes and no real issues. It just pizzes me off the way the way they charge U extra for seats, carry on bags etc.
Use to fly out of TYS until they started flying out of BNA last June....it think it was

Reactions: walkenvol
They forced me to download their app to check in for tomorrow’s flight...have been able to check in online without any app and associated cookies in the past. Plus it’s supposed to rain in Houston all weekend and we return Monday....can I blame them for that too?

They forced me to download their app to check in for tomorrow’s flight...have been able to check in online without any app and associated cookies in the past. Plus it’s supposed to rain in Houston all weekend and we return Monday....can I blame them for that too?
LOL.......why not!!

Yeah, it's possible to fly cheap from Knox to Orlando but they nickel and dime you and stuff you in the plane.

I chose to drive back from Orlando, forfeiting my round trip ticket. That bad.

I’ve flown to Orlando and didn’t find the plane any more cramped than other airlines in coach - maybe we got a different plane. The add on costs come across as deceptive your first time booking with them IMO. Charging for a carry on when they have the same overhead bins available on every other plane comes across as shady to me. Same with the charge to select your seat. Southwest has that right with no seat assignments.

We flew on Allegiant a few years ago from KC to St. Pete. I did a ton of research and read reviews / lessons learned, so I was prepared and knew what to expect. I saw people at the ticket counter who had not done the same research and they were absolutely losing their minds. Its kind of ala carte and charge for everything (even for the family to sit together). By doing the research and setting our expectation level, we had a pleasant experience.

Reactions: OldandStillaVol
We flew on Allegiant a few years ago from KC to St. Pete. I did a ton of research and read reviews / lessons learned, so I was prepared and knew what to expect. I saw people at the ticket counter who had not done the same research and they were absolutely losing their minds. Its kind of ala carte and charge for everything (even for the family to sit together). By doing the research and setting our expectation level, we had a pleasant experience.

Agree. When I was going back and forth from Tn to Fl, I traveled alone. I never requested a seat, checked a bag, nor brought a carry-on. Just had a gym bag that I could stuff under a seat. Not everyone can do this but it saved me a lot of time as opposed to driving between Fl and Tn.

VN Store

Back