Any news on softball team this fall?

Good question. It's one of my few issues with the Weeklys is that in the offseason it's deathly quiet. It's almost as if we had shut the softball program down.

Holcomb (hand), Lockman (shoulder surgery), Vines (shoulder surgery) and Wiemer (headaches??) all have not played this fall along with a couple of freshmen with injuries. Bearden (foot) injured last week did not play against Kentucky possibly done for fall. The only freshmen that have played I know of are Rogers, Shipman and Phillips. Mind you most of the teams faced in the fall are not a measure of SEC play. Pitching: Rogers looks solid and confident in the circle while Arnold and Moss pitching well while working on new pitches. Catching is a lock for Shipman she is solid behind the plate and has a great arm, even with Lockman and Weimer out she will start at catcher. Infield will be the same as last year with SS open. Huffstetler has seen the most time and likely it will be hers to lose. Outfield who knows, everyone seeing time and nobody really impressive. Outfield will probably be Vines, Holcomb and guest appearances on a game by game basis. As usual playing time will depend on what have you done for me lately at the plate. No one has been very impressive hitting this fall, no real power hitters. With all the injuries this fall Ralph and Karen will have to sort it out on the road in the spring. MTSU and Kentucky this weekend may give us some more answers.

Holcomb (hand), Lockman (shoulder surgery), Vines (shoulder surgery) and Wiemer (headaches??) all have not played this fall along with a couple of freshmen with injuries. Bearden (foot) injured last week did not play against Kentucky possibly done for fall. The only freshmen that have played I know of are Rogers, Shipman and Phillips. Mind you most of the teams faced in the fall are not a measure of SEC play. Pitching: Rogers looks solid and confident in the circle while Arnold and Moss pitching well while working on new pitches. Catching is a lock for Shipman she is solid behind the plate and has a great arm, even with Lockman and Weimer out she will start at catcher. Infield will be the same as last year with SS open. Huffstetler has seen the most time and likely it will be hers to lose. Outfield who knows, everyone seeing time and nobody really impressive. Outfield will probably be Vines, Holcomb and guest appearances on a game by game basis. As usual playing time will depend on what have you done for me lately at the plate. No one has been very impressive hitting this fall, no real power hitters. With all the injuries this fall Ralph and Karen will have to sort it out on the road in the spring. MTSU and Kentucky this weekend may give us some more answers.
Thanks for the inside information. Was really wondering if any of the new blood was going to help. Not surprised about the hitting, but I was hoping a couple of the freshmen were adding some pop at the plate. Hoping to make one of the weekend games. Again, thanks for the update.

Shipman is a catcher and a darn good one as well. She was catching when she committed when she was in the eighth grade I think.

Gabby Sprang transferred/cut to Oklahoma State, Brooke Langston cut right before fall softball is playing JUCO in Florida. Sprang knew she was not going to play this year after last season so she was given a chance to transfer to D1 before being cut. Langston on the other hand was fully expecting to play and found out only after she was enrolled, moved in and practice was beginning that she was not going to play.

Gabby Sprang transferred/cut to Oklahoma State, Brooke Langston cut right before fall softball is playing JUCO in Florida. Sprang knew she was not going to play this year after last season so she was given a chance to transfer to D1 before being cut. Langston on the other hand was fully expecting to play and found out only after she was enrolled, moved in and practice was beginning that she was not going to play.
Why not tell those getting cut before they go through the crap of registration and etc. I know that GS was gone and she did too. She will go to OK state and do well I hope!

Reactions: ldyvolsoftballfan
So many players missing the fall worry anybody else like it does me? Excited to have Shipman on Rocky Top finally. Good to know Rogers was confident and solid. Also, the fact that we lost to Kentucky 10-5 is worrisome, but I’ve been called a worry wart anyway. I’ve been watching the team’s Instagram account, as well as a few of the players’, one being Catalan Arnold. She’s been hitting. I know she’s hit two out. Granted, it’s just the fall and definitely not SEC caliber teams, but I thought that was interesting.

Got smacked by Kentucky again either they are a great team next season or were terrible. 7 to 0 a lot to work on before the season starts.

Got smacked by Kentucky again either they are a great team next season or were terrible. 7 to 0 a lot to work on before the season starts.
Not worried about next Fall. Coaches are working on a few things and don't really care about W-L record this Spring. I think the coaches think they have a top 5-10 team in the Nation.

Not worried about next Fall. Coaches are working on a few things and don't really care about W-L record this Spring. I think the coaches think they have a top 5-10 team in the Nation.

Think you have that backwards. They seriously need to be worried about Spring with the batting as horrible as it was today.

VN Store

Back