Another perspective regarding our program

Its the worst offense I've ever seen, especially from a HC that professes to "get 1% better every day."

Averaging 30 points per game, I'm sure there are recent seasons within Vol history where our first seven games did not produce that stat, care to take a quick trip down memory lane or perhaps you've been a Vol fan rather recently?

Most fun I've had watching our team since 01 first half of the season as 35 year's of being here goes

I wish I had a dollar for every time a so called UT fan compared our team to Alabama in an effort to discredit how far our progam has come. Please use any other program for comparison as Alabama is setting an all time standard, and no program will match them at this time. In the future Alabama won't even meet there own standard.
The fact is, if not for bad luck on the injury front we have a top ten team. I don't want to hear how lucky we were to win the Appy or GA games. Both those teams had more luck even being close. We won those games despite bad luck.

We played against a back up in FL.
We played against a freshman and new OC in GA.
Here comes the fun..
We also played against:
A new transfer QB and OC in V-tech
A new transfer QB and OC in TxAM
A freshmen QB in Bama
We barely beat a veteran Appy st.. team that got demolished by a new coach and system (Miami)

The reality is that our program seems to be further behind than we thought. Especially our offense. Our senior QB has made mind boggling mistakes. We are always in an uphill battle.

Using the excuse to not change QB or system doesn't seem to hurt other programs. Look at LSU right now. Fresh attitude and new outlook.
We play against a new system and another Freshmen QB this week.
Also a new HC in in Missouri later.

Kentucky is the only other coach that has had the same HC/system since Butch arrived. KY might be the 4th best SEC east team by the end of the year. That would be impressive.

My point is that we should be light years ahead compared to our opponents based on experience and stability with our system. But it sure doesn't feel like that.

Jesus Christ, just be happy.

Reactions: 1 person
We played against a back up in FL.
We played against a freshman and new OC in GA.
Here comes the fun..
We also played against:
A new transfer QB and OC in V-tech
A new transfer QB and OC in TxAM
A freshmen QB in Bama
We barely beat a veteran Appy st.. team that got demolished by a new coach and system (Miami)

The reality is that our program seems to be further behind than we thought. Especially our offense. Our senior QB has made mind boggling mistakes. We are always in an uphill battle.

Using the excuse to not change QB or system doesn't seem to hurt other programs. Look at LSU right now. Fresh attitude and new outlook.
We play against a new system and another Freshmen QB this week.
Also a new HC in in Missouri later.

Kentucky is the only other coach that has had the same HC/system since Butch arrived. KY might be the 4th best SEC east team by the end of the year. That would be impressive.

My point is that we should be light years ahead compared to our opponents based on experience and stability with our system. But it sure doesn't feel like that.

Here comes the fun.... We're not dead yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1263.JPG
    IMG_1263.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: 1 person
We're going to finish 10-2 while playing the 2 best teams in the West, with one of those teams being by far the best team in the country. We lost 4 games last year that we should / could have easily won so it all evens out. Would you have thought we would win 10 games losing Sutton, JRM, and Kirkland during the toughest stretch of our schedule? I see a resilient team whose approach follows the personality of their leader.

2010 season through 7 games averaged >21 points per game
2011 season through 7 games averaged >25 points per game
2012 season through 7 games averaged >34 points per game
2013 season through 7 games averaged >30 points per game
2014 season through 7 games averaged >24 points per game
2015 season through 7 games averaged >33 points per game
2016 season through 7 games averaged >30 points per game

Could have sworn Hoptown Vol had been posting here longer than just a couple of years.

Our combined opponent record is 38-12. Without Alabama it's 30-12. Without A&M it's 24-11. If you take away those first five team's losses against Tennessee it's 24-6.

You're trying to read into something that isn't there.

Wonder how many different ways can start a thread to keep the same exact argument raging forever. DJ, please change the record

Reactions: 2 people
Averaging 30 points per game, I'm sure there are recent seasons within Vol history where our first seven games did not produce that stat, care to take a quick trip down memory lane or perhaps you've been a Vol fan rather recently?

Oh please, I don't need a history lesson from you Remy, or an algebra lesson. You'll probably read Butch's eulogy at his funeral.

A freshmen QB in Bama

So Alabama should not be the number 1 team? And all teams that have lost to them should bow their heads in shame for losing to a freshman QB? Got news for you there are probably at least 11 other teams that are going to lose to the freshman QB.

Our only weakness should be based off injuries. The problem is that majority of our injuries are on the defensive side. We have been able to win games based off our defensive plays. What's the excuse for our Offense? I can't think of any honestly.

Decimated OL count???

VN Store

Back