Another, Neyland is loud thread - Brady Quinn

I agree with you that a lot of old folks aren't as vocal as they once were. But don't count all of us out. I stand and yell as loudly as the next one and I'm 70. I end up being hoarse the next day or two after the big games. It bugs me that the younger people around me are not as vocal as I think they ought to be. I loved the Ole Miss game because everyone around me was yelling at the top of their lungs.

Maybe in about 10-15 years, I might need your invention so best wishes with perfecting and marketing it.
I don’t count nobody out, but I do understand. There are times that the ones that can need to step up.

I was going in Neyland years ago and there was a lady being pushed in a wheel chair while on oxygen, I was hoping that was me in 40 or 50 years. Not hoping to be in a wheelchair or on oxygen, but at the game at that age.

We’ll see if my invention ever makes it to the public.

Reactions: Volbackhomefromtx
That's all in the past now. It will never be what it once was. Sad it is.
I get your point, but I had tickets in the lower half of Section S for a few seasons. First game in those seats, I had a guy behind me ask me how long I was gonna stand and yell…. I told him, every snap they (opposition) has the ball. He didn’t find me amusing. There was not as much noise generated from that section, or honestly those immediately surrounding it as I would have hoped. Maybe the changes they are currently doing on the West side might have a positive affect? I hope so…

Just my .02.....All conversations about this should begin and end with Florida ‘98.
Other games have come close but nothing compares to that.

It was historic in the sense of “Neyland on Sept 20 1998”

It was like the Dead at Cornell ‘77

Hank hitting 715
Just a moment in time against which all others are measured...
It seemed like the loudest thing mankind had ever created.

Heh, acoustics are so complicated.

Funny thing: adding more people to that stadium would actually REDUCE the echo. Same way that an empty room in the house you're buying echoes, but once you have all your furniture and curtains moved in, it doesn't. Sound deadeners. People (fans) are sound generators, but their bodies are also sound deadeners.

So 5x echo-y stadium plus 45,000 fans does not == 225,000 fan-equivalents. Each fan you add, adds noise. But adds a little deadening. The more fans you add, the more noise, but the more deadening. At some point, the deadening starts to outweigh the added noise. There's probably some critical point, where the "added fan noise" curve and the "fan body noise deadening" curve cross, where you have the ideal population size for sound, call it a "maximum effective sound" for that stadium.

AND that probably changes based on air temperature and density, humidity, cloud cover (clouds and air temperature gradients can reflect sound energy back down), etc.

Like I said starting out, super complicated.

I'd put my money on Neyland against any of them.

Go Vols!
OMG

I don’t expect the old folks to get loud or to stop coming to games. It’s all on the younger folks that can more than make up for the ones that can’t. What bugs me is the ones that won’t for why ever reason. There are plenty that just simply don’t know how to get loud for an extended time. Usually by the end of first series I can tell if I’m going to be able to be loud as needed or if someone needs to pick up my slack.

I’m working on an invention to help me and others that would really be a game changer when it comes to getting louder longer with less effort.
But if your louder and longer for more then 4 hours you should seek medical attention right?

When there's a reason to be loud, it will get loud. If Heupel can take a step up from what we did this past year, it will continue to inch closer to what it used to be like on a near weekly basis in the 90s and early 2000s.

Beating UF early in the year could really put us on the fast track. And it will be loud for that game.

Experts: Neyland memories

“As a coach, I've been a part of teams that traveled to LSU, Florida State, Texas and almost every other place in the country that could be considered one of the toughest places to play as a visiting team. But when I was at Notre Dame, we went down to Knoxville for a night game in 1999 and the Tennessee crowd that night was the most impressive that I ever faced. The crowd absolutely took us out of the game from a communication standpoint. Neyland Stadium was just electric. I think we heard Rocky Top about 42 times. Of course, we gave them reason to play it a few times.” - Bob Davie

Hey! What do you know....accolades from an opponent for a game UT actually won!

If the old stuff fans,stay home, it could be that loud again!
. My first Vols game was 1959 much smaller crowd but still loud , 2021 was more games for me and many others who are my age and can be very loud. My question to you is over the last 62 years or even the last 10 years what have you contributed to the athletic department to keep Neyland one of the best stadiums. I don’t know what generation you are from but one thing for sure they get dumber each generation, buy a skybox and you can have who you want in it. We pay our money and make our donations so we will be at what games we want to.

Reactions: EasternVol
Even aside from acoustics I bet we can reduce overall capacity and still wind up louder, if we want to. Our student seating section doesn't have anything close to the capacity of A&M's Kyle Field. I saw where they have student seats end zone to end zone, with a student section behind the visiting sideline in the upper bowl. You take away 5,000 seats but add 5,000 students? I'm betting it's a net-plus for noise. That's a revenue decision though. Have to sacrifice some paying customers now, to make sure you have more happy students who want to be season ticket holders in the future.
They are going the other direction. When I was a student there, we could get seats on the 50. They took that away during my time there (which was way more than 4 years). The worst was not all the way in the end zone either. The upper deck near the visitors is pretty ****** seats too. I feel like if I got that now for a candy or cupcake game for free I would say no thanks.

What? I’ve attended hundreds of UT games, Ole miss this past season was absolutely deafening. I mean literally deafening ole miss fans around me were covering their ears and they’re not on the field where it is even louder

My brother played for our Vols in the 80s. He was at the Ol Miss game this year and said he has never heard Neyland louder.

Reactions: SDV
My brother played for our Vols in the 80s. He was at the Ol Miss game this year and said he has never heard Neyland louder.

2006 Cal game was wild. Ole miss this year was incredible too. We didn’t play perfect football like the cal game but it was definitely louder.

Reactions: SDV

VN Store

Back