Andy Katz Post Draft Decison Top 25

He most certainly is on the defense end.

Yep. During his career as a high school basketball player in Kentucky, he was lazy on the defensive end. He was a glorified scorer, but a good one. You can actually watch the footage on youtube, and watch him hang back at halfcourt and wait for an outlet pass.

And anybody that believes the talent differential between Hopson and Miller is that far apart, is not being completely honest with themselves.

So you would rather have a talented player who is lazy than a hustle guy with a little less talent? Are you Bruce Pearl?

Nope - I'm not Bruce Pearl - and that is why I'd take Hopson. Maybe a coach who acts like a superior rather than his best friend could get the most out of him.

Yep. During his career as a high school basketball player in Kentucky, he was lazy on the defensive end. He was a glorified scorer, but a good one. You can actually watch the footage on youtube, and watch him hang back at halfcourt and wait for an outlet pass.

And anybody that believes the talent differential between Hopson and Miller is that far apart, is not being completely honest with themselves.

I believe you're wrong there and you may be the one not being completely honest with yourself - UK fans love to bash Hopson any chance they get. Hopson is quite a bit more explosive with his first step and getting to the basket - and has more hops from what I've seen.

Now - neither are world beaters at this point and are both 4 year players at this point (yeah I know - groundbreaking observation right?)... but Hopson was rated that high due to raw talent/potential... so we'll see if he can get his act together and if his HC will actually help him with that..

Last edited:
look i was just sayin what I was thinking alright. no need to get hatefull. most of the time i dont even post i just try to keep up with whats going on. sorry for posting what i thought was something we could all agree on.

look i was just sayin what I was thinking alright. no need to get hatefull. most of the time i dont even post i just try to keep up with whats going on. sorry for posting what i thought was something we could all agree on.

If you are going to post, be ready to buckle your chinstrap and go toe to toe with some witty people. :hi:

Toughen up. You had something to say and you put it out there. No need to apologize for that.

I believe you're wrong there and you may be the one not being completely honest with yourself - UK fans love to bash Hopson any chance they get. Hopson is quite a bit more explosive with his first step and getting to the basket - and has more hops from what I've seen.

Now - neither are world beaters at this point and are both 4 year players at this point (yeah I know - groundbreaking observation right?)... but Hopson was rated that high due to raw talent/potential... so we'll see if he can get his act together and if his HC will actually help him with that..

Sure, I agree with what your saying. Hopson was definately rated higher due to potential, where as Miller Led his team to the state title, and showed a more solid all around game on the boards/passing/defense. Perhaps showing what his ceiling/maturity would be at the college level.

But I don't always tend to look at things from a strictly offensive perspective, with first steps and jumping ability. Talent goes across the board, and where Scotty exceeds Miller in offensive talent and creativity, I believe Miller to be more talented in other areas of the game. And when you compare all categories together, I don't see a large disparity between both players.

Does Hopson have a bigger upside if he maxed out potential, absolutely. More talent, probably so. If BP were to light the proverbial fire under Scotty's ass, then there is no telling where the kid could stop.

It's not his personal laziness. It's the coaching staff's fault for their lack of emphasis on any kind of defense. Especially half court. Scotty is a driven young man.

I can buy that, at least to a point. There were still guys on that team that could defend, Josh Tabb comes to mind.

But seeing Katz put 4 SEC teams in his top 25 after a horrible SEC season last year is good to see!

But seeing Katz put 4 SEC teams in his top 25 after a horrible SEC season last year is good to see!

I'd definitely have to say that the SEC underperformed as a whole last year....but I don't think the conference will sneak up on anybody this year.

It's not his personal laziness. It's the coaching staff's fault for their lack of emphasis on any kind of defense. Especially half court. Scotty is a driven young man.

And it wasn't just Scotty lazy on D, it was the whole team.

One of the main reasons that Tennessee's defense lacked last year.....the 1-2-1-1 trap never really showed its dominance like it had in the first two years bruce pearl arrived. The team never committed to that style, they wanted to play a half court style. The run and gun defense never dominated because THEY DIDN'T MAKE THEIR 3's. Scotty Hopson, Bobby Maze, Tyler Smith and Wayne Chism have all improved on their 3's and are committed to play the 1-2-1-1 trap.

One more thing: Since Bruce Pearl has arrived Coach Cal has lost twice

05-06:(pearl's first season) Mem 88-79 Tenn
06-07: Tenn 76-58 Mem (that put tenn basketball on the map)
07-08: #2 Tenn 66-62 #1 Mem (mem had their best team in many years)
08-09: Mem 54-52 Tenn (on a last second shot)

VN Store

Back