And Barnes sees it and addresses it

Only with a very definite line up on the floor would I agree. As far as a sellout to play zone? Definitely not IMO.
Not saying full time, but if we have either Key or Vescovi at the point instead of the quicker ZZ, I think it might be an opportunity to break one out.

I don't think it's fair to start drawing conclusions just yet, but I think it is time to admit Zeigler's size may severely hamper his ability to be an effective SEC PG, at least from a scoring perspective. No doubt the kid has the skills, but if we have to play him ~30+ minutes, you can't expect other teams to not exploit his size. Luckily, we don't have to worry about him backing down or being discouraged. He may just need to focus on being a facilitator and distributor.
ZZ's size hurts him on defense also. Teams are going to hunt for him just like Longwood did in the tournament. When ZZ is in the team is always having to protect him on defense by switching when he is on a bigger defender. I'm also wondering if part of the issue is ZZ and SV on the court at the same time.

ZZ's size hurts him on defense also. Teams are going to hunt for him just like Longwood did in the tournament. When ZZ is in the team is always having to protect him on defense by switching when he is on a bigger defender. I'm also wondering if part of the issue is ZZ and SV on the court at the same time.
How does that work as he’s typically the smallest guy on the court?

Recruited plenty of size and don't have an ounce of an inside game. PG won't make any difference. Chuck 50 3s and score 2 pts in the paint seems to be the strategy.

While I agree ZZ or Vescovi didn't have good games, I believe the problem is more than just shifting the line-up. This won't change getting beat off the dribble or lack of help and recovery on the defensive end. It also won't address the issue with maybe our guys forcing shots because they aren't getting good looks in our half-court sets.

Barnes needs to look in the mirror and own up to putting his guys in bad spots. Also, the asst. that had the scout for the Colorado game should've had to walk back to Knoxville, as we seemed to be clueless as to what they were doing offensively.

JMO, so TIFWIW, of course.
Could be having no true point guard. As far as the scout, I couldn’t even name a single assistant. Barnes has gone on the cheap and hired no name assistants from schools like Austin Peay, and promoted From within. A coach with this many years coaching ought to have a higher candidate pool.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Could be having no true point guard. As far as the scout, I couldn’t even name a single assistant. Barnes has gone on the cheap and hired no name assistants from schools like Austin Peay, and promoted From within. A coach with this many years coaching ought to have a higher candidate pool.
To be clear, I'm not a "Barnes basher."
I appreciate the guy and what he's done for our program.
However, I do disagree with how he handles pressers at times. At the end of the day, if this is our biggest concern with a Bball coach based on our program's history, I'd say we're in pretty good shape.

Reactions: tennrich1
The need for quality PG depth cannot be understated. I said this back when we were being projected by some advanced models as a top-8 team, and that PG depth was my greatest concern for not believing we were a top-8 team by any measure. I still feel that way, still have those same concerns.

In my opinion, the biggest concern right now is we just don't have anyone that can create their own shot if the half court doesn't produce a clean look. KC, Jaden and Keon all could get to the rim almost whenever they want. I was hoping Julian can do that but he doesn't seem comfortable right now. Well see. It's the second game. I'm not going into my half court complaints. I've beaten it over the head since day one. It's not going to change lol. But no need to panic at all.

Either way, I like we still took a lot of 3's. We just need better drive and kick game.

In my opinion, the biggest concern right now is we just don't have anyone that can create their own shot if the half court doesn't produce a clean look. KC, Jaden and Keon all could get to the rim almost whenever they want. I was hoping Julian can do that but he doesn't seem comfortable right now. Well see. It's the second game. I'm not going into my half court complaints. I've beaten it over the head since day one. It's not going to change lol. But no need to panic at all.

Either way, I like we still took a lot of 3's. We just need better drive and kick game.
JJJ could and should be doing this. He’ll get points but he isn’t an alpha Vescovi was a shot creator when he got here. Now he can’t drive past anyone.

Agree...that is a concern, as well.

We miss Fulkersons defense as well. That was some of the worst team D we have played.

Those guys were good enough to take advantage of us

The lineups on the court aren’t meshing together right now, especially offensively. Josiah being out for extended period of time didn’t help with that either. Tonight in the second half looked better tho.
Also not being able to get Yuri Collins or Tyrese Hunter is gonna be felt all season.

Reactions: Vols All Day

I think the inside out game will improve quickly. I do agree somewhat about creating their shot being an issue. However, I think JJJ has that ability and I really think Phillips will become that guy as we navigate the season. Rim protectors and low post scoring threats are still lacking but CRB has shown he knows how to supersede those weaknesses as well. Hopefully we are growing as a team and may take a few more losses as we go along. I know the Mich St and Gonzaga games were "scrimmages" technically but CLEARLY this team can still produce some strong outings. Let's see where it takes us.

Reactions: walkenvol
Only a small sample size in which to judge, but disappointed in lack of post play (perhaps even moreso that they didn’t even look like post play existed until game 3….which is all about how they are coached), ZZ has not advanced yet at PG, and most importantly for a team that is supposed to be a good shooting team….37% from field and 31% from 3-pt line is atrocious.

Still have a long ways to go and expect we will improve their shooting given level of experience on the floor. If not we will be lucky to be .500 this year. Hate to state it as I like Barnes a lot, but we aren’t talented enough to simply roll the ball out on the court and expect good things to happen. Doesn’t appear they know what they are doing offensively.

Only a small sample size in which to judge, but disappointed in lack of post play (perhaps even moreso that they didn’t even look like post play existed until game 3….which is all about how they are coached), ZZ has not advanced yet at PG, and most importantly for a team that is supposed to be a good shooting team….37% from field and 31% from 3-pt line is atrocious.

Still have a long ways to go and expect we will improve their shooting given level of experience on the floor. If not we will be lucky to be .500 this year. Hate to state it as I like Barnes a lot, but we aren’t talented enough to simply roll the ball out on the court and expect good things to happen. Doesn’t appear they know what they are doing offensively.
Goodness, that‘s a tough assessment three games in. I’m not sure if you have paid any attention to what is going on in college basketball or not, but it’s been total chaos. No program is talented enough to simply roll the ball out and expect good things to happen.

In his 35 years, do you know how many seasons that Barnes has been .500 or worse?

4- and 2 were at UT when he inherited a dumpster fire.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
The loss of Kennedy Chandler to the NBA left the most glaring hole on this roster.

All Key, Vescovi and Seigler need to do are just play within their capabilities at the point guard position and this team will be fine.

This.

But everone being a year older and stronger and adding Key, Phillips, Awaka, Jefferson and Edwards makes this a better team.

Last edited:
This.

But everone being a year older and stronger and adding Key, Phillips, Awaka, Jefferson and Edwards makes this a better team.
I don't disagree.
However, I am beginning to wonder if Key isn't this teams Victor Bailey. He looked really good in early games against mediocre competition, but I'm not sure he's going to replicate his level of success at Indiana St. here. JMO.

I don't disagree.
However, I am beginning to wonder if Key isn't this teams Victor Bailey. He looked really good in early games against mediocre competition, but I'm not sure he's going to replicate his level of success at Indiana St. here. JMO.
With the exception of JJJ, he still leads the team in FG% and 3-point %. I think his shot plays anywhere, and I feel like he gets into a groove again. I do think he’s better off the bench, though. He plays the first 4 minutes as a starter trying to get into a groove, then sits the next 5 minutes or so. I think he’s adjusting to that.

With the exception of JJJ, he still leads the team in FG% and 3-point %. I think his shot plays anywhere, and I feel like he gets into a groove again. I do think he’s better off the bench, though. He plays the first 4 minutes as a starter trying to get into a groove, then sits the next 5 minutes or so. I think he’s adjusting to that.
Good points.
Glad he's here, was just wondering about how he will stack up against SEC competition.

VN Store

Back