And Barnes sees it and addresses it

While I agree ZZ or Vescovi didn't have good games, I believe the problem is more than just shifting the line-up. This won't change getting beat off the dribble or lack of help and recovery on the defensive end. It also won't address the issue with maybe our guys forcing shots because they aren't getting good looks in our half-court sets.

Barnes needs to look in the mirror and own up to putting his guys in bad spots. Also, the asst. that had the scout for the Colorado game should've had to walk back to Knoxville, as we seemed to be clueless as to what they were doing offensively.

JMO, so TIFWIW, of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: lynnh and TennEddie
Freddie is coming baby next year this problem will be gone and Estrella down low with Aidoo and Awaka should be really good. Dont forget about the RS DJ Jefferson Barnes sees his potential

Who else could play point Vescovi to slow, JJJ need him on wing or down low, Key SG, Edwards only realistic option due to being PG. I am not saying play him 30 minutes just long enough for ZZ to see whats going on like last year. Hell he told CRB he didnt wont to start

Reactions: SlyStone
Who else could play point Vescovi to slow, JJJ need him on wing or down low, Key SG, Edwards only realistic option due to being PG. I am not saying play him 30 minutes just long enough for ZZ to see whats going on like last year. Hell he told CRB he didnt wont to start

I just don't see it. Ultimately I think ZZ finds himself back as a starter sooner than later. He has some things to clean up but he's the only resemblance of a pure point guard on the team.

This team sorely misses play makers. We don’t have anyone that can get downhill and attack the paint. You have to be able to get into the heart of the defense to open up better looks at 3 and passing lanes for guys cutting to the basket. Since we don’t have those kinds of players, we’re gonna need to run an offense that creates those opportunities and so far in the first 2 real games of the season, I haven’t seen an offense yet. Thankfully is extremely early in the season and these things will improve. Certainly don’t think ZZs play is what led to yesterdays performance though.

Reactions: Hbg
I don't think it's fair to start drawing conclusions just yet, but I think it is time to admit Zeigler's size may severely hamper his ability to be an effective SEC PG, at least from a scoring perspective. No doubt the kid has the skills, but if we have to play him ~30+ minutes, you can't expect other teams to not exploit his size. Luckily, we don't have to worry about him backing down or being discouraged. He may just need to focus on being a facilitator and distributor.

While I agree ZZ or Vescovi didn't have good games, I believe the problem is more than just shifting the line-up. This won't change getting beat off the dribble or lack of help and recovery on the defensive end. It also won't address the issue with maybe our guys force shots because they aren't getting good looks in our half-court sets.

Barnes needs to look in the mirror and own up to putting his guys in bad spots. Also, the asst. that had the scout for the Colorado game should've had to walk back to Knoxville, as we seemed to be clueless as to what they were doing offensively.

JMO, so TIFWIW, of course.

I will admit that I was only able to watch the last ten game minutes. But, someone said we got plenty of open looks in the first half. Second half was a little ragged.

Defensively, however, it was slow reactions and poor effort IMO. It had nothing to do with not knowing what Colorado was running. Simpson beat our guys off the dribble multiple times with no help.

I will admit that I was only able to watch the last ten game minutes. But, someone said we got plenty of open looks in the first half. Second half was a little ragged.

Defensively, however, it was slow reactions and poor effort IMO. It had nothing to do with not knowing what Colorado was running. Simpson beat our guys off the dribble multiple times with no help.
Might need to find more minutes for Mashack, Awaka and Edwards.

IMO....we suffered more from very little, IF ANY, help in the paint on both ends of the floor. ZZ was CLEARLY out of control much of the game and other than JJJ we were out of position and slow to most spots all day on both ends of the floor. I was sitting with a large group of very basketball savvy guys...and we pretty much agreed on these issues. Actually, I thought they were obvious. Hopefully Phillips can learn to stay out of foul trouble and begin to use his abilities on the floor. He's working hard defensively but still a "work in progress". Also, there were a few times Key even did not take a wide open shot or simply didn't appear to even look for it. THAT CAN NOT HAPPEN AGAIN IMO. Our offense should "run through him" a lot! But CRB has shown the ability to adapt and suspect he will again.

Last edited:
IMO....we suffered more from very little, IF ANY, help in the paint on both ends of the floor. ZZ was CLEARLY out of control much of the game and other than JJJ we were out of position and slow to most spots all day on both ends of the floor. I was sitting with a large group of very basketball savvy guys...and we pretty much agreed on these issues. Actually, I thought they were obvious. Hopefully Phillips can learn to stay out of foul trouble and begin to use his abilities on the floor. He's working hard defensively but still a "work in progress". Rick has shown the ability to adapt and suspect he will again.
Well, his stubborn attitude toward zone defense isn't going to change I don't think. If we ever had a roster that might benefit from playing a zone, it's this one.

Maybe I'm in the minority, and feel free to call me out if I sound clueless, but what does Gregg Polinsky offer to this coaching staff?

Well, his stubborn attitude toward zone defense isn't going to change I don't think. If we ever had a roster that might benefit from playing a zone, it's this one.
Only with a very definite line up on the floor would I agree. As far as a sellout to play zone? Definitely not IMO.

BJE isn’t the answer. We pushed for a transfer PG because we knew he wasn’t going to be a factor this year.

I'm equally concerned with Vescovi at this point. It's been a while since I've thought "wow, what a great game by Santi."

75% from deep and 18 points in first round of NCAA, he also had 17 points in the win over A&M

He hasn't looked great this season though, but teams play him physical as hell and he rarely gets a whistle for some reason.

Honestly I know we typically have stout defense, but I'd love for Barnes to run more zone if nothing else to just give the guys a bit of a break on that side of the ball. Have ALWAYS felts like most our shooting woes are tired legs from playing so hard on defense

75% from deep and 18 points in first round of NCAA, he also had 17 points in the win over A&M

He hasn't looked great this season though, but teams play him physical as hell and he rarely gets a whistle for some reason.
I posted his post-season stat lines from last year in the game thread, and those two games were the only good ones. He's been alarmingly inconsistent at the very least; hopefully that does not continue.

VN Store

Back