An Outsider's view of the Geno-UT feud

CannonVol80

I found and stole this from a Facebook page. I didn't want it to get lost in one of the number of discussions already occurring on this board. Just for context, the author is the Head Rugby coach of Quinnipiac University.

Perhaps the most cogent response to Geno's rant that I have seen! And coming from a non-combatant it carries more weight, in my opinion.

How Geno's Privilege Blinds Him to the Rest of the Coaching World

Jim

Very few know but there is an informal parent support group set up each year for freshmen parents to be able to help their children "survive" their first year of Geno's coaching at UCONN women's basketball in the transition. Without context, I will not say whether or not this is good or bad but one thing is for certain, in my profession as a Division I NCAA female coach, if there was a whisper of such a parent group within my program, my administration would have their ears to the ground in a heartbeat with me in their office first thing Monday morning.

This part stuck out the most. Talk about an investigation needing to be had!!! How the hell is this normal? Anyone care to explain from that bleeding blue side?

You dont think Pat didnt have this privilege her whole career! She deserved to have it just like Geno! Evina is not the only player to say that about the LV program since Holly became head coach either! Diamond Deshield and Tea Cooper come to mind! The head WBB Coach at Quinniapac thinks the world of the Huskies program and Their HC! I Wonder what the che thinks about your statements? Also Chris Daily is not Holly Warlick! Pat ran her team and Holly didnt do much on the sideline during games since 1991! If CD took over the team there wouldnt be a much of a difference! Why dont you asl Theresa to read and comment on this crap!

You dont think Pat didnt have this privilege her whole career! She deserved to have it just like Geno! Evina is not the only player to say that about the LV program since Holly became head coach either! Diamond Deshield and Tea Cooper come to mind! The head WBB Coach at Quinniapac thinks the world of the Huskies program and Their HC! I Wonder what the che thinks about your statements? Also Chris Daily is not Holly Warlick! Pat ran her team and Holly didnt do much on the sideline during games since 1991! If CD took over the team there wouldnt be a much of a difference! Why dont you asl Theresa to read and comment on this crap!

Someone struck a nerve 👀

But seriously what is the relevancy of what the Quinnipiac coach has to do with anything?

Also what privilege did Pat have her whole career? If I remember reading and seeing things correctly she WAS one of the main ones that fought to get women’s basketball to where it is. She was a pioneer NO she didn’t do it by herself but what she did allowed Geno to do what he does (and quite well). Geno has earned all his praise (along with his criticisms) in my book.

But to say Pat had the same privileges her whole career when she had to drive the bus, wash the uniforms, and started off making $200 a month is not being privileged! That’s working really damn hard and fighting for what you have (and have opened the doors to allow others INCLUDING GENO to have what they have)!

Last edited:

What did DD and TC say? Because I know what kind of havoc they wreaked while they were there. The problem was, HW allowed it.

What do you mean “Holly didn’t do much on the sideline since 1991?”

You dont think Pat didnt have this privilege her whole career! She deserved to have it just like Geno! Evina is not the only player to say that about the LV program since Holly became head coach either! Diamond Deshield and Tea Cooper come to mind!

And what exactly did Diamond and Te'a say? Diamond still retweets "LVFL" posts. She had issues w Holly, but not the program. And Te'a has not said anything publicly about the program, so what are you on about?

I found and stole this from a Facebook page. I didn't want it to get lost in one of the number of discussions already occurring on this board. Just for context, the author is the Head Rugby coach of Quinnipiac University.

Perhaps the most cogent response to Geno's rant that I have seen! And coming from a non-combatant it carries more weight, in my opinion.

How Geno's Privilege Blinds Him to the Rest of the Coaching World

Jim
Great read. Thanks for sharing.

And what exactly did Diamond and Te'a say? Diamond still retweets "LVFL" posts. She had issues w Holly, but not the program. And Te'a has not said anything publicly about the program, so what are you on about?

I think he’s confused...

Someone struck a nerve 👀

But seriously what is the relevancy of what the Quinnipiac coach has to do with anything?

Also what privilege did Pat have her whole career? If I remember reading and seeing things correctly she WAS one of the main ones that fought to get women’s basketball to where it is. She was a pioneer NO she didn’t do it by herself but what she did allowed Geno to do what he does (and quite well). Geno has earned all his praise (along with his criticisms) in my book.

But to say Pat had the same privileges her whole career when she had to drive the bus, wash the uniforms, and started off making $200 a month is not being privileged! That’s working really damn hard and fighting for what you have (and have opened the doors to allow others INCLUDING GENO to have what they have)!
Best Vols.gif

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
Someone struck a nerve 👀

I am talking about from 1995 and on when she was established with her first 3 NCs. Pat actually had the privilege the author talks about in her post. Pat also earned and deserved it! Remember Geno took over a program that had 1 winning season before he took over! Geno and CD started out having to do all that for their program as well.

The name of this thread say it all

geno ut feud

Not Tn and Uconn

Geno used to be a kind of hero of mine
He was a male role model shooting up the WBB college ranks
Then he said, “You would not want your kid in that environment.”
That is a low blow
I would not want my kid playing for a coach who low-blows another program

You lost points with this one, ol man
I used to want to be like you, now I want to NOT be like you.
It is sad, how fast a person can fall

You fell

I am talking about from 1995 and on when she was established with her first 3 NCs. Pat actually had the privilege the author talks about in her post. Pat also earned and deserved it! Remember Geno took over a program that had 1 winning season before he took over! Geno and CD started out having to do all that for their program as well.

In 1985 Geno and CD were washing uniforms and driving the bus? Pat had already been on the ground working for change by then so you would have to show me where he was driving the bus and washing uniforms. Not saying it didn’t happen but it seems highly unlikely😂
I think you’re taking this as an attack on what Geno has done... nope! It’s not but Pat was crucial in getting the women’s games more exposure. She took her teams into any gym ,including UConn’s, and played them to help spread the women’s game.

Pat didn’t establish her first three championships AFTER 95 lol she already had WORKED her way up and had three national championships by then.

The poster/article was talking about how Geno is not bothered by admin and can run his practices how he sees fit and if something was to come up the doors are shut and Geno gets free reign. I don’t know if that’s true however I do know Pat always had admin in her practices and she had open practices all the time. It was nothing for Joan Cronan or anybody from admin to pop in at any point to just come and be around the team.

Pat and Geno were different we can agree (very different lol) both were successful. I don’t feel the need to put him down to prove her worth to the game because it’s so well noted and documented. So what she has done for the game (and still continues to do with her foundations and the coverage she was able to help drum up for the women’s game) does not put a dull on what Geno (or CD who always reminds me of the lady off the little shop of horrors “oh Seymour”) has done in winning band helping take it to a new level.

Reactions: ldyvolsoftballfan
Becca Carlson s problem with Geno is he is a man who coaches a womens sport and has been extremely successful at it. Also he coaches in the only womens sport that receives attention from the media, fans and is on TV all the time. I am from Connecticut and this is the first time I heard of Quinnipiac Rugby! She probably doesn't like the fact that Geno makes over 2 million dollars a year and she probably makes less than CD makes a year. She is the head of a sports equality organization and this is why she made these comments IMO.

In 1985 Geno and CD were washing uniforms and driving the bus? Pat had already been on the ground working for change by then so you would have to show me where he was driving the bus and washing uniforms. Not saying it didn’t happen but it seems highly unlikely😂
I think you’re taking this as an attack on what Geno has done... nope! It’s not but Pat was crucial in getting the women’s games more exposure. She took her teams into any gym ,including UConn’s, and played them to help spread the women’s game.

Pat didn’t establish her first three championships AFTER 95 lol she already had WORKED her way up and had three national championships by then.

The poster/article was talking about how Geno is not bothered by admin and can run his practices how he sees fit and if something was to come up the doors are shut and Geno gets free reign. I don’t know if that’s true however I do know Pat always had admin in her practices and she had open practices all the time. It was nothing for Joan Cronan or anybody from admin to pop in at any point to just come and be around the team.

Pat and Geno were different we can agree (very different lol) both were successful. I don’t feel the need to put him down to prove her worth to the game because it’s so well noted and documented. So what she has done for the game (and still continues to do with her foundations and the coverage she was able to help drum up for the women’s game) does not put a dull on what Geno (or CD who always reminds me of the lady off the little shop of horrors “oh Seymour”) has done in winning band helping take it to a new level.
1995 was used because That is when Geno won his first one! When I said she had 3 by 1995 and already had her privilege that she earned and deserved! Geno started in 1995 when he won his first is what I wrote! Pat had 6 by 1998 with Tennessee the team of the decade!

He needed a point guard and offered Westbrook, probably contacted by the mom. He promised them no problems with the 1 year sit out because they are Uconn. Didn't work out and now he needs to deal with mom on a weekly basis. I am sure he regrets it and he still needs a point guard. Reap what you sow.

1995 was used because That is when Geno won his first one! When I said she had 3 by 1995 and already had her privilege that she earned and deserved! Geno started in 1995 when he won his first is what I wrote! Pat had 6 by 1998 with Tennessee the team of the decade!

lol that may have been what you meant but that isn’t what ya said.
And you still haven’t told me what her privilege was lol you do understand the poster of the article said Geno had white male privilege... something that Pat never had lol unless we were missing something all these years I wouldn’t think Pat had any type of male privilege 😂

I’m done with the whole Evina and Geno thing... I actually don’t care that much.

Have a great day and good luck with your season except when you play us 😃

Last edited:
Becca Carlson s problem with Geno is he is a man who coaches a womens sport and has been extremely successful at it. Also he coaches in the only womens sport that receives attention from the media, fans and is on TV all the time. I am from Connecticut and this is the first time I heard of Quinnipiac Rugby! She probably doesn't like the fact that Geno makes over 2 million dollars a year and she probably makes less than CD makes a year. She is the head of a sports equality organization and this is why she made these comments IMO.
That’s a huge assumption to make about someone that you don’t know. I interacted with her on Twitter...if you have questions or seek clarification just ask her. That is unless this false narrative your pushing makes you feel better.

VN Store

Back