An opinion about why game threads seem to be so extreme

LV renaissance

I have been a sports fan all of my life, intensely so for Lady Vol basketball and LSU football (alumnus). I have come to recognize something about myself that I see mirrored in game threads of various teams with passionate fan bases. Specifically, when one is emotionally invested in a team AND has a reactive nervous system (about 50% of people do), watching an important game that goes in an unexpected way can trigger intense emotions and thoughts (either/or thoughts that are polarized such as this team completely sucks, we are going win the championship this year, this couch is the worst ever, that was the stupidest call ever, this player is going to be great after getting wonderful stats in an exhibition game and so forth). It is scientifically called crisis/categorical thinking, and fans like myself can momentarily react to a game gone awry like a crisis. Typically, the most vicious comments in the game threads are during the game right after a terrible sequence. Rarely do people post at that very moment that so and so is a wonderful rebounder but not much of a 3 point shooter if the player just missed a pivotal 3 point shot. Instead, comments and thoughts are more likely more general and extreme (she is playing terrible, why can't couch ever get a good shooter, we are going to lose and are gong to suck all year, etc). Even in well played games, basketball in particularly frustrating and exciting with sudden changes in momentum, players getting hot and cold, injuries, missed foul shots, etc., all at such a fast pace that we can hardly have time to think each of these things through. So, are automatic reactions will tend to be more in the crisis mode.
In any case, I tend not to post during games because I know I may just be expressing my frustration or joy rather than some accurate assessment. When I do look at the game threads, which tends to be after the games, I also try to accept the extreme things posted with the understanding of the crisis mode of thinking when you are a passionate fan.

I have been a sports fan all of my life, intensely so for Lady Vol basketball and LSU football (alumnus). I have come to recognize something about myself that I see mirrored in game threads of various teams with passionate fan bases. Specifically, when one is emotionally invested in a team AND has a reactive nervous system (about 50% of people do), watching an important game that goes in an unexpected way can trigger intense emotions and thoughts (either/or thoughts that are polarized such as this team completely sucks, we are going win the championship this year, this couch is the worst ever, that was the stupidest call ever, this player is going to be great after getting wonderful stats in an exhibition game and so forth). It is scientifically called crisis/categorical thinking, and fans like myself can momentarily react to a game gone awry like a crisis. Typically, the most vicious comments in the game threads are during the game right after a terrible sequence. Rarely do people post at that very moment that so and so is a wonderful rebounder but not much of a 3 point shooter if the player just missed a pivotal 3 point shot. Instead, comments and thoughts are more likely more general and extreme (she is playing terrible, why can't couch ever get a good shooter, we are going to lose and are gong to suck all year, etc). Even in well played games, basketball in particularly frustrating and exciting with sudden changes in momentum, players getting hot and cold, injuries, missed foul shots, etc., all at such a fast pace that we can hardly have time to think each of these things through. So, are automatic reactions will tend to be more in the crisis mode.
In any case, I tend not to post during games because I know I may just be expressing my frustration or joy rather than some accurate assessment. When I do look at the game threads, which tends to be after the games, I also try to accept the extreme things posted with the understanding of the crisis mode of thinking when you are a passionate fan.

Excellent post!

VN Store

Back