An Open Call to Keep Politics Out of Football Discussions

The news and sports medias, Universities, corporate America, and local, state and national governments have filled virtually every aspect of society with politics.

Universities are especially political now. There is no way to completely separate sports from politics in today's world. Truly unfortunate.

All,

One of the great things about VN is that we have quarantined (pun intended) our politics discussions to the Politics forum. The football forums are remarkably politics free, and allow us to discuss football, and share our love of our Vols and our healthy hatred of every other major program. Unfortunately, COVID has taken us into areas we have never experienced before. The threads about the coming football season have taken a decidedly political turn. I count myself as guilty as anyone in allowing politics to enter my posts in this area.

Not sure how to address this, but wanted to put it out there. I am going to make a concerted effort to keep politics out of my posts. I guess I would ask that everyone try and do the same. Then, if you're so inclined, head to the politics forum and rip each other apart! :cool::cool::cool:

The football season is either going to be cancelled/modified or it isn't. Let's focus on how we preserve as much of the 2020 season as possible, without getting locked up in battles over whether there is a threat or not.

Just a thought. Flame away if you're so inclined...........

OH.....AND GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree.
It's kinda like keeping the whole kneeling/protest out of the national anthem/flag presentation before NFL games.

Politics is largely guiding public policy, not science.

Public policy will determine if we have college football.

Hence, the nexus of politics and football.

IMO, it's a sad day in America when you can (usually) ID someone's political affiliation based upon their stance on whether wearing a mask (or not) during a friggin pandemic is a good idea.
commie

Reactions: dduncan4163
All,

One of the great things about VN is that we have quarantined (pun intended) our politics discussions to the Politics forum. The football forums are remarkably politics free, and allow us to discuss football, and share our love of our Vols and our healthy hatred of every other major program. Unfortunately, COVID has taken us into areas we have never experienced before. The threads about the coming football season have taken a decidedly political turn. I count myself as guilty as anyone in allowing politics to enter my posts in this area.

Not sure how to address this, but wanted to put it out there. I am going to make a concerted effort to keep politics out of my posts. I guess I would ask that everyone try and do the same. Then, if you're so inclined, head to the politics forum and rip each other apart! :cool::cool::cool:

The football season is either going to be cancelled/modified or it isn't. Let's focus on how we preserve as much of the 2020 season as possible, without getting locked up in battles over whether there is a threat or not.

Just a thought. Flame away if you're so inclined...........

OH.....AND GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great post Hoss. I agree 100%

communist-meme-1.jpg

I will beat this drum instead: We won the National Championship the year after he left. Yes, he was great and an important figure for the program... but our best season was without him.

AND there you go! More Politics. Finding the reason Tennessee played better----after the Best QB the Vols ever had was gone. Politics; pure and simple. I know some stuff; not sharing it though.

So we as fans need to keep our politics out of sports but need to applaud athletes who inject their political beliefs into these same sports?

Nah, I will keep my freedom of speech.

Thanks though for trying to take it.
They like to take it ,especially when you dont think like they do. I am like you, I will keep my freedom of speech

Reactions: NEO
What does it say about you that you care what they think? You do realize this is America, right? A country founded on the very principle that we all aren't supposed to think and believe the same exact things. That it's not a good idea all branches of the government are shared by one party. That our Supreme Court is SUPPOSED to be a balance of ideologies, not all the same as some want

Wrong. The Supreme Court is there to settle issues when the "Diverse" Congress cannot properly perform their duties; (passing Laws that don't infringe upon Citizens' Rights per the Constitution) The Supreme Court is Supposed to be Unbiased in their thinking AND Ruling; relying instead on the CONSTITUTION as WRITTEN to settle cases brought before them. No Charge for your Civics Lesson.

Wrong. The Supreme Court is there to settle issues when the "Diverse" Congress cannot properly perform their duties; (passing Laws that don't infringe upon Citizens' Rights per the Constitution) The Supreme Court is Supposed to be Unbiased in their thinking AND Ruling; relying instead on the CONSTITUTION as WRITTEN to settle cases brought before them. No Charge for your Civics Lesson.

Correct.

In a related story, the court has ruled 7-2 that georgia sucks.

That is all.

Correct.

That is all.[/QUOTE]

And I thought I wasn't going to like the current make up of the SCOTUS.

Yup. Never mind. I guess this is a hybrid board for awhile.

For the record, never suggested anyone should lose their right to speak, just a suggestion that we keep this a football board. My bad.
Well, imagine for a second that the season is cancelled. What would there be to talk about?

Reactions: JohnWardForever

That is all.

To paraphrase R. Lee Ermey: "There were 2 dissents from that opinion? Who were they? Who the f--- were they? Who were the slimy little communist s--- twinkle-toed c---suckers down here, who just signed their own death warrants? Nobody, huh? The fairy f---ing godmother dissented."

Reactions: Credo and Model12
Well, imagine for a second that the season is cancelled. What would there be to talk about?

Debate question: JG. Great quarterback, or greatest quarterback??

(That would be good for 10-15 pages of Pulaski and k-town going off.........)

That is why you get threads like this one. That is how they work

Give me a f-ing break. I posted this to try and get the forum back on football. The politics forum is available, and those conversations get brutal.

No one is offended, I'm just tired of wading through 3 pages of attack and counter attack to try and discuss football.

Funny story how politics caused me to give up my season tickets in 2004. Following an October day game I came back to the parking garage to find a Bush sticker on my truck. I never put any thing on my vehicle to draw attention but found it funny. Then I went to open my door to find someone had keyed my door. It wasn't funny any longer, and people are more serious about it now. I enjoy reading everyone's' opinions, kinda draw the line at player bashing. It is a forum that welcomes that. I don't come here for political perspectives like I don't watch 24 hr. news networks, I get it the 1st time. Easy enough to breeze and ignore comments like changing the tv channel. I guess I enjoy discussing TN football with folks who like it as much as I do, even if we don't see eye to eye.

Most people who post here are white males.
Most white males are Republicans.
Most of our players are black.
Most blacks are Democrats.
But, the point of this great web site is that all of our players and fans are ORANGE!
We come together as one on Gameday to become a beautiful site for all to see.

VN Store

Back