An Impossible Dream, It Seems

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
I dream it. Want to see it. Right now, I believe it. A dream that tears the fabric of reality asunder. Year 2023.
The Vols men BB wins the tourney championship. The LadyVols do the same. The Baseball Vols win
the college world series. The Vols football team wins the natty. Imagine!!!

Careful, WoodsmanVol, you're risking being infected with Jonathan Livingston Seagull-ism.

I dream it. Want to see it. Right now, I believe it. A dream that tears the fabric of reality asunder. Year 2023.
The Vols men BB wins the tourney championship. The LadyVols do the same. The Baseball Vols win

Careful, WoodsmanVol, you're risking being infected with Jonathan Livingston Seagull-ism.

Puff, puff, pass

Relax, hell! We're rolling!

In the history of college sports, what you look for has never been done.

In fact, I couldn't find a single instance of any school winning national titles in three of the Big Four sports (let alone all four) in a single year.
I know two have been won in a single year, most recently (I think) in 2014 by UConn when both their men and women won the NCAA basketball championships. But I couldn't find any evidence that any school ever won three of the four in one year.

[though Stanford has had some crazy-good runs in combinations of several of the Olympic sports]

Heck, only 29 universities have EVER (forget in a single year) won titles in more than one of the Big Four. Tennessee is one of those, since we have national titles in both football and women's basketball. Nine programs have won national titles in three of the four,* and one of those can claim a national crown in all four at some point in their history. Yep, Stanford. Though some folks think Stanford's football title claims from back before WWII are pretty iffy (but the NCAA recognizes them).

So I'd love to see our BasketVols or BaseVols -- or both! -- win a title this year to make us the tenth university ever to win it all in three of the Big Four sports. That'd be cool.

And I'm with the OP: winning all four in a single year would be just simply awesome. We can dream.

We're rolling!

Go Vols!

* The nine are Cal, Florida, Maryland, Michigan, Ohio State, Stanford, Texas, UCLA, and USC.

"Tennessee has a very real chance to reach a rare triple in college sports: playing in a major bowl, and reaching the Final Four and College World Series in the same season.... The Vols’ dominating 2nd-round win over Duke in the NCAA Tournament was merely an extension of what began in the 2021-22 sports calendar, and has become undeniable in 2022-23. They’re closing in on the college sports trifecta.

The last to do it was Louisville in 2012-2013, when the Cardinals beat Florida in the Sugar Bowl, won the NCAA Tournament and played in the CWS." Hayes: Major bowl, Final Four and CWS? Tennessee has a chance to make some history

VN Store

Back