An Alarming Stat or a hoax?

Dobb's potential is very high, probably one if the reasons the coaches were trying to redshirt him thus year.

Reactions: 1 person
OTE=vol_in_ar;11051925]but didn't play against GA and Fl
No he just had to play against those weaklings at Bammer.[/QUOTE]

maybe he was saying his stats wouldn't have been as good this year if he would have faced them instead of "lighting it up" against ky and vandy...im a dobbs fan, we would have beat fl and maybe even ga if he would have been in those games but that's just my .02

Dobb's is in the top 20 primarily because of his running stats. Based on Total EPA, he doesn't even break the top 50. And ftr I'm a Dobb's fan... just trying to point out the obvious.

Sorry but isn't being able to make plays with your legs part of what separates good QB's and great QB's? The last two Heisman winner's make my point.

Dobbs should have had a +2 for lack of eyebrows... It makes him more agile, lighter, quicker and confuses the defenses.

Does qb take into consideration the ability to avoid pressure? Or run for first downs when nothing else is there? How about the qb's ability to understand what the defense is trying to do an adapt to it? Serious questions? Most of these ratings are basedppurely on passing statistics but there is a lot more the qb must do to be successful. And 20th isn't that bad anyway. I'd have live to have ended the season ranked 20th as a team.

QBR takes into account everything(running, "bad situational passes" and such).

Not to take anything away from Dobbs, but Bajakian's offense is built for a QB to blow it up with efficiency stats.

Like 75% of the passes are gimme throws either at the LOS or just short slants and curls.

Like how much do you think Bajakinas play calling was affected by having an oline that couldn't block anybody?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Not to take anything away from Dobbs, but Bajakian's offense is built for a QB to blow it up with efficiency stats.

Like 75% of the passes are gimme throws either at the LOS or just short slants and curls.

or the 1 foot forward pass that goes to Pig on the sweep they do in front of the QB that goes down as a pass.
I'm excited about Dobbs but I would like to see (separate passing ratings) one being completions at the point of catch or in other words minus yards after catch. This rating would separate the game managers versus the down field passers.

Also the A&M QB is rated 6th in QBR and lost his job and is riding pine the last 4 games. The rating tells you something since Miriotta is #1 but is very subjective rating.

Had he qualified, he would have ranked around 83rd in YPA(6.81), so there is some truth to this.

Just goes to show you if Worley would have pulled the damn ball more on the read and relaxed the D more that Florida and UGA may have been winnable.. Worely was a stud against UGA, but opening up that front 7 for UGA could have allowed hurd to have a bigger game throughout versus just early. Florida... we'll I have no explanation... 10 to f'n 9 ....

I wish we could see some of the arm chair QB's on here make real decisions about this football team and deal with the backlash. Dobbs looked really good this year but unless we were at practice, none of us realize what he was doing or wasn't doing. It's easy to make a decision when your butt isn't on the line if it doesn't work. Arm chair QB's and arm chair gamblers are the smartest people alive cause they never have anything riding on their decisions

Reactions: 2 people
Dobbs played 5 games or so and Winston played in 14! Would Dobbs qbr be as high if he played all year or would it be lower? Can't really compare the ranking when he only played a few games imo.

What is alarming is how many people expect coaches to see into the future with the same clarity that our fans can see into the past.

I can't remember where I put my keys so I don't think I'm setting the bar too high personally. :eek:lol:

There are some things behind his stats that are worth mentioning.

Dobbs started out with 7.9 yards per attempt (pretty good, Bray's 2010 YPA was 8.0) and had 7 TDs to 2 INTs over his first 3 games (Bama, USC, Kentucky). This was on 99 attempts.

His next 3 games are not so good. His YPA drops to 5.3 and he threw 2 TDs to 4 picks. This was on 78 attempts. Some of the picks weren't his fault but you want more than 2 TD passes in 3 games.

There are factors behind this. Croom/North were out. Malone was injured. His OL was still in constant flux and Pearson was playing but doing so while still hobbled. Also, the run game was working.

But that YPA is still awful and his TD/INT ratio is also awful. Those can't just be dismissed, IMO.

Before you slackjaws start, I like Dobbs. I also think that with stability on the OL and a healthy North, Croom, Pearson and a hopefully rebounded Malone added to Pig, Johnson, Smith, Wharton, etc Dobbs will be far more effective and efficient next year.

The ability for him to be the man in the offseason and getting all the 1st Team reps is invaluable.

Though, to be devils advocate, Nick Marshall played against Wisconsin without Duke Williams and Sammie Coates and still managed 9.72ypa and 2 TDs and 0 INTs.

And that's a guy that isn't even projected to be drafted and if he plays in the NFL it'll be at DB.

/devilsadvocate

The I guess he must be one of those players that plays better than he practices to have been 3rd on the depth charts at the start of the season

the QB for this system is a west coast passing QB . The primary emphasis in this offense is a multi layers west coast route tree with a power running game ...from the RB positions. A running QB is not the emphasis . I think Dobbs is a brilliant athlete , but he is not the most consistent passer YET. I think the system was dictating what the coaches were looking for .

Hats off to the coaches for adapting their system to take advantage of JDs skill set

When is people going to wake up on here, the kid is the real deal he fits this system to a T:) He just needs to work on the deep throws in the offseason and he will, then we will have a All SEC QB for the next 2 years, its like a lot of the fans are waiting on him to take a step back, he wont he is a very good QB.:lolabove:

Josh Dobbs is a brilliant athlete and from all indications a scholar to boot . As he is right now ...he is no where near 'ideal' for this offense

This offense is a layered west coast passing offense with a power running game from the RB position , with a ton of emphasis on the dive concepts of running . QB running and even mobility in this system is neither a requirement nor necessary . In this incarnation of the pro-spread , what is needed is an accurate quick delivery passer .

What the coaches have done in tailoring this offense to Dobbs skill set , controlling his passing and highlighting his running is awesome ...however this is not the offense as it will come to be . When Dobbs develops his passing , you will see a 50/50 offense with west coast style passing and power running with very little QB running as it is now .

QBR takes into account everything(running, "bad situational passes" and such).

Oh wow. I thought it was just going to be based on completion percent ect...still how do they take into consideration Dobbs ability to avoid pressure. Imo that's his best attribute. Simply avoiding a rusher and scrambling for a few yards makes a big difference at times. And Dobbs does that sound well.

Like how much do you think Bajakinas play calling was affected by having an oline that couldn't block anybody?

Just my observation, but it's not like our O-line couldn't block anybody, they were just very young and inexperienced. All the talking heads mentioned this from the beginning of the season and all the coaches schemed against it, brining more than they could block. They certainly opened some holes against some corn-fed upper classmen in the bowl game.

The dimension Dobbs brought was that he would escape the pressure. Had we played OK with Dobbs, he would have run around Striker every time as opposed to how many times Worley took a hit or was sacked. Bama even admitted they didn't change their two deep safety scheme when he came in the game which is how he picked up so many yards.

Now that people know who he is and what he can do, it will be interesting to see how they scheme (pass rush vs coverage). Either way, with our WRs healthy and another extremely talented back, I like our chances in 2015.

When Dobbs develops his passing , you will see a 50/50 offense with west coast style passing and power running with very little QB running as it is now .

Hope your right as he won't hold up an entire season running the ball as much as he did in 2014.

VN Store

Back