Alvin Kamara record

Not too bad for a UT second stringer.......

Beldar was just in way over his head with a team with very little talent....never should have been a head coach. Similar story for Dooley never should have been a head coach, but had decent talent on the field.

Jones though........all the talent in the world, and no idea how to recognize it or what to do with it. Combine that with probably the biggest ego of any coach who had proven nothing to that point in their career.....he honestly owes UT fans and apology.

Beldar was just in way over his head with a team with very little talent....never should have been a head coach. Similar story for Dooley never should have been a head coach, but had decent talent on the field.

Jones though........all the talent in the world, and no idea how to recognize it or what to do with it. Combine that with probably the biggest ego of any coach who had proven nothing to that point in their career.....he honestly owes UT fans and apology.
Instead he is blaming us for the criticism he gets from his failures at AR St.

I think Jones began his downfall thanks to Baker Mayfield and OK the year they came to Knoxville ranked pretty high. Tn was up 21 -0 at half time only to watch Baker lead a big comeback for the win. Butch never recovered.

Reactions: Dobbs 4 Heisman

The thing that caused me to doubt him the most was his favorite word. When he dies, someone find his tombstone and engrave "Individual" on it somewhere. He may actually be pleased.

The thing that caused me to doubt him the most was his favorite word. When he dies, someone find his tombstone and engrave "Individual" on it somewhere. He may actually be pleased.
“Complimentary football” has to be in small print somewhere.

Reactions: headhunter15
I think Jones began his downfall thanks to Baker Mayfield and OK the year they came to Knoxville ranked pretty high. Tn was up 21 -0 at half time only to watch Baker lead a big comeback for the win. Butch never recovered.

Exactly right. That was the first time we saw Butch's m.o. in big games. Which is to coach scared. Instead of going for win he always coached not to lose. This tendency reflected his personality perfectly. Which is to care incessantly about what other people are saying or thinking about him. He just wasn't built for this line of work.

Reactions: volfeeva
I pull for Kamara in the NFL, like I do all VFLs, but everytime I watch him , it's frustrating. I wonder what could've been when he was here. Another one we didn't utilize to their full potential was Patterson. Look at what that guy has done in the NFL. Imagine what they would've done in Heupel's offense.

I was at that game, it was 2015. Everything was right for a big win. I remember driving up from Chattanooga that morning, we left about 8 for what I think was a 7pm kick. I-75 was already packed the entire way. Took almost 4 hours to get to campus. The crowd was insane that night, and the Vols responded.

We had played what started out as a little bit of a game against Bowling Green the week before. By the end it was a big win and you could see that the team had talent. They put that on display against Oklahoma early. After building a lead, Butch went way conservative on both sides of the ball, and the Sooners tied it up late. We lost in overtime, which was disappointing, but you still had hope for the season.

We crushed Western Carolina the next week and I loaded up and headed to the swamp to watch the end of the streak. Dobbs was brilliant in this game, carving up the gators, crushing them with his legs and even catching an early TD from Jennings. After taking a lead into halftime and the building it in the 3rd, Jones once again abandoned what had been working and went conservative. Will Grier, who would be suspended the next week for PEDs, led the comeback. Medley had a chance for a long winner that he technically missed twice thanks to an icing time out, and we left with a one point loss.

The next week opened with an opening kickoff return by Evan Berry against Arkansas. Once again a game dominated by the Vols where Jones played conservatively and let the pigs stick around in what eventually was a one score loss. That’s the 3rd one in 6 games.

The next week was one I’ll never forget as Dobbs led a brilliant comeback against at home UGA for a win. Honestly we should have just spotted every team a few to keep Jones from being able to go conservative. This renewed the hope in Volbation heading to Bama the next week.

We played well on the road in Tuscaloosa, we definitely outplayed the tide. But, Jones continually went for (and missed) long field goals at least one of which he probably should have gone for on a team with Dobbs, Kamara, Hurd, North, Josh Smith, Von Pearson and Ethan Wolf. Regardless, despite taking a lead deep in the 4th, we left with what would be our fourth and final loss of the year, all by one score.

We’d have another scare at home against South Carolina. Jones went conservative again after starting out with a 17 point lead and allowed them back in to tie at 24. Our field goal wasn’t going to be enough and we were headed to at best overtime and likely a loss, but the cocks fumbled on their late 4th quarter drive on a play that would have put them in field goal range. The defense that included Berry, Sutton, Reeves-Mabin, Moseley, Tuttle, Maggit, Sapp and many others saved us.

Jones conservative play calling and misuse of skill players cost a very talented Tennessee team a shot at greatness. There is no reason other than Jones this wasn’t an SEC East champion (we finished 3rd to Florida who we should have beat and Georgia who we did beat) and probably SEC champ with a berth to the playoffs that would eventually be won by Bama over Clemson.

If this one season didn’t make you hate Jones….don’t worry, I could tell you all about 2016 next.

Reactions: volfeeva

VN Store

Back