Alumni Influence

LadyOrange

Discuss: Now that players can make money off their likeness, etc., how will alumni respond? Lady Vols fans are known to have deep pockets and spend it on LV merchandise, etc. can other schools’ alumni compete and will the deep pocket spending impact recruiting?

Discuss: Now that players can make money off their likeness, etc., how will alumni respond? Lady Vols fans are known to have deep pockets and spend it on LV merchandise, etc. can other schools’ alumni compete and will the deep pocket spending impact recruiting?
It will be a factor. How much of a factor is still undetermined. If it can be shown that a player on a specific team earned (pick a number) $50,000, or $200,000, or $1,000,000, how could that not enter into the consideration of where to go to college ?

It will be a factor. How much of a factor is still undetermined. If it can be shown that a player on a specific team earned (pick a number) $50,000, or $200,000, or $1,000,000, how could that not enter into the consideration of where to go to college ?
I agree. I mean, it’s been going on forever under the table. My grandfather bankrolled more than one Vol football player between 1972-1985. He also dropped a dime or two into other players’ pockets. Now that you can pay for signatures, etc., well, who is to say I might dig out 1,000 for an autograph?

It’s going to be a battleground for recruiting. I think it’s going to be a very slippery slope to negotiate. I like the idea student athletes will get a piece of the revenue they are helping to generate but am concerned that animosity might occur when the team has several “elite” players and there is a big difference in who makes what.

The good news is I think you can do as well at Tennessee as you can anywhere. It all starts with having a large fanbase to buy merchandise because that is the bottom line. I think Tennessee has a fanbase second to none and so you come and become a star people will support your likeness. I think this new law is a plus for Tennessee as not a lot of schools that will have the same amount of fan support that you can get here. Your talking about 20 to 25 star players every year no reason we shouldn't get a couple of them at least from this new law.

I agree. I mean, it’s been going on forever under the table. My grandfather bankrolled more than one Vol football player between 1972-1985. He also dropped a dime or two into other players’ pockets. Now that you can pay for signatures, etc., well, who is to say I might dig out 1,000 for an autograph?

All this now means boosters can still funnel $ to players, they can now just do in above board by 'hiring' them to be a spokes person for one of their company's.

What’s not being talked about is still being ignored by talking heads. The original argument was , why shouldn’t players (any sport) receive some of that money the Universities are raking in from these kids. Sounds reasonable!!!
Now who sees Universities losing any of the money they are raking in from these kids? The schools are not going to pay these kids! They continue getting the same money from tickets, concessions, parking, merchandise etc. Now comes the student haves, and the have nots. Should the 13th kid on the basketball not receive anything, even though coaches preach it takes everyone to make a team. How about the 10th kid, the 8th, and so on. Football, baseball, golf, swimming, any team. It takes them all to build a team. Will kids stop putting in the sweat equity if some are making money and they are not. If 22 football players get paid, and only 22 keep playing, how will that work. I used to watch NASCAR, and the same applies. They need all 40 cars to have an exciting race. Not just the 10 who will probably win. I see the NIL as a leak in the dam that will soon bust if not adjusted and taken care of.

Once this new reality of athletes being able to receive compensation for their likeness becomes common place, I believe alumni influence will still be there, and in many ways more so than ever. The more value that an athlete creates in the market place or their ability to produce game changing or high level performances, the greater their potential compensation will be. However, most student-athletes probably lack the necessary entrepreneurial skillset to capitalize on their likeness at high level, i.e., making a ton of money. Now enter stage left, alumni, pseudo agents, and the whole lot of those who want to "help" these athletes make more money for a small percentage of the profits. Some programs will have to deal with athletes who spend more time working on their "Brand" than their game. These are but some of the issues that will crop up in the near future. But at the end of the day athletes want to win championships, and those athlete want to be at programs that gives them the opportunity to do so, and Tennessee is one of those programs.

Reactions: greenbacknative

As to the "ladies"... I have felt from the beginning of this "pay" situation that this would be a real tool in "lady" recruiting. As our "Ladies" seem to be on the upswing, being a "lady" will now have the "pay" advantage of the renowned popularity of the program (even though it has been on hard times). If there is a national program more recognizable than the "Lady Vols" I can't think of it. Sense the early notice of women basketball (early to mid 70's) there have been several noticeable programs that have or had "an image" but none that were as specific to their program as "The Lady Vols". You can say the programs at UCONN, N.D. La Tech, Stanford and others are now or have been well known. But for me only our "ladies" can be identified as a women's program with thinking of any other school team . To me all most other women's programs identify the school and somewhat after that they are talking about the women's basketball program. But when you see the "Lady Vols" logo you know what you are seeing "THE LADY VOLS" - - it sells.

I don’t see these NILs getting too national. Not even conference wide. Mostly very close to their home schools. College football, particularly in the SEC, pays a lot more attention to the players that represent their favorite school. Would most folks in Tenn be interested in buying anything from a company with an Ala player representing it. How about a Ga player, Florida player. If Milton becomes the starter and has a great year, you think he influences people in surrounding states much less out West. Doesn’t mean the money isn’t going to be there, but promotions will be somewhat geographical to the said school. JMO

Reactions: Volfan2012
I don’t see these NILs getting too national. Not even conference wide. Mostly very close to their home schools. College football, particularly in the SEC, pays a lot more attention to the players that represent their favorite school. Would most folks in Tenn be interested in buying anything from a company with an Ala player representing it. How about a Ga player, Florida player. If Milton becomes the starter and has a great year, you think he influences people in surrounding states much less out West. Doesn’t mean the money isn’t going to be there, but promotions will be somewhat geographical to the said school. JMO

Um, an All American Heistman Candidate will get a Big time National Sponsor.

for me the related issue still remains paying families for players to attend = Interestingly for me Louisville got caught big time and within one year they had recruited the next top group of players. Now perhaps a player being recruited - if (translated into WHEN) you come we'll have folks buy 2000 of your sweatshirts at $200 a piece. Maybe just buy 2000 of shirts of the father and mother. I will add in the recognition of how litigious this may become. smile

Reactions: Majors
for me the related issue still remains paying families for players to attend = Interestingly for me Louisville got caught big time and within one year they had recruited the next top group of players. Now perhaps a player being recruited - if (translated into WHEN) you come we'll have folks buy 2000 of your sweatshirts at $200 a piece. Maybe just buy 2000 of shirts of the father and mother. I will add in the recognition of how litigious this may become. smile
It could be much more straightforward than that even.
Say a wealthy donor loves wcbb. He could sign a player at his Alma Marta to an advertising contract for his company. He could even sign the entire team as spokespeople.
We've seen what Nike means to Oregon, or what T. Boone Pickens meant to Oklahoma State (650mil). Once that procedure is established, it would make a powerful incentive for future recruits.

Um, an All American Heistman Candidate will get a Big time National Sponsor.

If Ala has an AA Heistman candidate, would they have any influence over you, whatever they say? Same for a USCw player, Texas, Aub, OH St and so on. They may get a big time sponsor but it will be a “school payment” not real sponsorship.

Tennessee has connections in the business world that keep Tennessee athletics moving forward but with that comes demands and influence.
Realistically in 95%+ of women playing sports it'll come down to small business, local connections etc. But in those cases where you have a Candace Parker/Monica Abbott on campus you get Pilot on board. Then each season it becomes a contract negotiation type between player and business at current school or open market/transfer.

I agree with "a vol n tears". I worry about the Vol or Lady Vol that is not the star. Maybe her/his likeness is not so easy to draw in big money. I would hope the university would establish a pool for generic purchases that benefit the others that make up the team.

VN Store

Back