Already dreaming about next season

lvocd

It was soooo much fun for me after having personally been stuck in a sorrow for so long that it had stolen much of my joy for the game. This team brought me back to life, and I'm grateful for that.

I also adore our staff and think they did an unbelievably great job this year, all things considered. All the injuries were devastating, but they still managed to keep the team focused and prepared enough to get to the S16. Bravo!

That said, I don't think I'd be out of line to suggest that the offseason is not only the best time for the players to put in the extra work in order to come back better players the next season, but it's also the time for coaches to step up their games as well.

Our staff will have an excellent group of players next season, with a real opportunity to make a deeeeeep run in the tournament. But they have to know that if someone gifts you with a $10 million racehorse, you'd better know how to train it to run to its maximum potential. You don't train a thoroughbred the same way you train a plow horse.

The staff will, of course, always be busy with recruiting -- exhausting work from all I've heard. But just as the players will have to dig deep to get in tens of thousands of extra shots and free throws and ball-handling drills before next November, the staff is gonna need to find some extra avenues to pick up teaching tips, new drills, new offensive sets, some new motivation techinques and so on to have something super special to bring to the table themselves come next November.

I'd love very much to read stories next year about how our staff had had their OWN coaching/techniques book club, or had traveled to see other excellent, respected coaches somewhere to pick their brains in the same spirit Pat did with Harry Perretta and several other great coaches over the years.

I would also love for our players to be sent to Point Guard College, to have a free throw expert come in for some sessions, and possibly an expert in visualization techniques to come in.

Anyway, I think everyone would agree that everyone -- players AND staff -- need to use the offseason to up their games by expanding their skill sets.

Also, I'd like for the staff also to set aside a little time to put their heads together to figure out how to increase the student fanbase. Gotta get the 35-85ers back to TBA, too.

EVERYBODY has to step up for next year. If they do, it'll be special.

It was soooo much fun for me after having personally been stuck in a sorrow for so long that it had stolen much of my joy for the game. This team brought me back to life, and I'm grateful for that.

I also adore our staff and think they did an unbelievably great job this year, all things considered. All the injuries were devastating, but they still managed to keep the team focused and prepared enough to get to the S16. Bravo!

That said, I don't think I'd be out of line to suggest that the offseason is not only the best time for the players to put in the extra work in order to come back better players the next season, but it's also the time for coaches to step up their games as well.

Our staff will have an excellent group of players next season, with a real opportunity to make a deeeeeep run in the tournament. But they have to know that if someone gifts you with a $10 million racehorse, you'd better know how to train it to run to its maximum potential. You don't train a thoroughbred the same way you train a plow horse.

The staff will, of course, always be busy with recruiting -- exhausting work from all I've heard. But just as the players will have to dig deep to get in tens of thousands of extra shots and free throws and ball-handling drills before next November, the staff is gonna need to find some extra avenues to pick up teaching tips, new drills, new offensive sets, some new motivation techinques and so on to have something super special to bring to the table themselves come next November.

I'd love very much to read stories next year about how our staff had had their OWN coaching/techniques book club, or had traveled to see other excellent, respected coaches somewhere to pick their brains in the same spirit Pat did with Harry Perretta and several other great coaches over the years.

I would also love for our players to be sent to Point Guard College, to have a free throw expert come in for some sessions, and possibly an expert in visualization techniques to come in.

Anyway, I think everyone would agree that everyone -- players AND staff -- need to use the offseason to up their games by expanding their skill sets.

Also, I'd like for the staff also to set aside a little time to put their heads together to figure out how to increase the student fanbase. Gotta get the 35-85ers back to TBA, too.

Not asking for much are you?

Good post!

good points and encouragement; I would like to condense and sum it up.
Basic fundamentals like layups and free throws need to be worked on during the off season. this would be the difference in many cases this year; I will always be proud of them but would like to see this improvement. Ball security is also a problem and that needs to be a priority for the coaches to work on with them.

I think we've found out ever since basketball began that the best coaches are the ones with the most talent. All the top coaches of today are the ones with the most talented players on their roster. Talent wins games and makes coaches look great. Getting the talent is what we have to do to reach the elite status again. This is the job that Coach Kellie and staff have to do it is a must to get back to the glory days. We've definitely improved our position for next season. We still won't be the most talented team in WCBB, but I think we'll be in or close to the top five. The addition of Powell, Jackson, and Pissott certainly seems to point in that direction then the return of Key, Horston, and hopefully a bunch of freshmen vastly improved as sophomores seems to relate to our team getting really close to being in a strong position to challenge for another final four appearance. If we find an elite post player then that just adds more fuel to the fire. Hoping all the players have a happy and productive summer. Great season even through all the injuries certainly affected it a lot much enjoyed it overall and looking forward to the next.

the staff is gonna need to find some extra avenues to pick up teaching tips, new drills, new offensive sets, some new motivation techinques

That stuff is all over youtube D1 mens coaches, pro coaches, international coaches. It's all out there.

Only if they learn how to run an Offense

Okay, I will bite. For the most part, the LVs problems were not in the sets and schemes. Against Louisville, without Jordan Horston (do you know who that is BTW?), they got plenty of open 3s and point bank shots at the rim and enough trips to the FT line to have made this game very close. The Achilles heel of this team all season has been inconsistent shooting. Bad shooting places extra pressure on the defense because missed shots let teams get out in transition and all the effort to crash the boards takes a toll on energy levels. TOs are a problem too but a good % of the LVs are unforced ones, rather than a failure in Xs and Os.

The big issue with this team is execution not so much design. And yes some of that shortfall can be blamed on the coaches but it is hard correct shooting woes in season. So, a lot of work needs to be done by these players in the off season. As Volfan2012 notes, the incoming players should help a lot. In general this was a fairly young team with Sophomores and Freshman playing big roles, due to injuries so that is a mediating factor as well.

On individual players, a lot of drive by posters are hammering on Tamari Key based on this one game and it was a bad one but she had a much improved season. Her defensive presence was stellar and she was finishing much better around the rim than in her first and second seasons. She had a poor first half against Belmont and came on strong in the 2nd half. I expected (and I bet the coaching staff) expected that to happen again after her 1st half struggles. Unfortunately, who knows what happened, if she got in her head too much or some unknown physical problem or if it was just one of those nights. But reducing her entire season of work to this one game is well speaking out of ignorance (I am betting that this was the first and only LV game that some of the most vociferous critics from yesterday watched all season). In general, Key's problems at the rim, from my view, have a lot to do with her footwork and getting her body in the right position. Some games she is pretty good in her positioning and other games she is putting up off balance shots. She needs another good of season on strength and conditioning. But if her improvement curve continues on its current trajectory, she will be a problem for teams next season.

We have battled tested PG come in, Jordan Horston will be back better than ever and LV freshman will not be Freshman anymore. Plus Rickea Jackson!!!!!!.

I am finding it hard to understand why so much negativity exist for a team that prior to losing Keyen and later Jordan H. was in the top 10; made the sweet 16 for the first in too long; and gave a #1 seed a game (despite not executing well and playing without their best player) and have quality players joining the program next season.

There should be considerable cause for optimism, as per LVOCD's thread. From the comments yesterday, it did seem that most of the negativity came from men's fans who migrated over to project their frustrations on the LVs loss (and sometimes wound up talking about Barnes's and the men's team quite explicitly). I don't get why folks who don't care about the LVs all season, decide its time to share their "wisdom" right after has a tough season ending loss but such is the way of the world.

On paper the LVs look to be much better next year and they were pretty good this year. With so many new parts, we will have to see how team chemistry works out. I am cautiously optimistic and will enjoy watching how things play out.

What is there not to love about the future of this team. We have four dynamic freshmen in Striplin, Puckett, Myles and Wynn. They know how to play defense and should improve their offense over the summer. We have Powell and Jackson out of the portal and TK, Horston, Walker and Suarez returning next year. We have an outstanding freshman coming in. Now they need to put in some work during the off season. TK needs to develop soft hands in the paint, develop a hook shot, work on her footwork, continuing working on her shot from the elbow, improve her physicality, and spend some time in the weight room. They all need to work on their free throws. We have to develop a mindset where we eliminate the unforced errors. This team has some strong upsides. Barring injuries, this team will have in place pieces to make a strong run towards a championship. I am excited for the Lady Vols and hope they can shut the mouths of the naysayers.

On paper the LVs look to be much better next year and they were pretty good this year. With so many new parts, we will have to see how team chemistry works out. I am cautiously optimistic and will enjoy watching how things play out.

Couldnt agree with u more i remember being very excited to get diamond deshields and on paper that team was really talented but on the court was awful so itll be interesting to see how team chemistry will be

I hope people are still not concerned with the trajectory of the program. We've had three consecutive years of improvement culminating with a Sweet 16 game. We have talent returning and more (exceptional players) coming in. There's no reason to expect a trend reversal at this point. We saw Kellies system is resilient and adaptive and that's encouraging as well. All-in-all, really proud of their perseverance and adaptability. Just was not deep or experienced enough to get to the elite 8 this year but......

Okay, I will bite. For the most part, the LVs problems were not in the sets and schemes. Against Louisville, without Jordan Horston (do you know who that is BTW?), they got plenty of open 3s and point bank shots at the rim and enough trips to the FT line to have made this game very close. The Achilles heel of this team all season has been inconsistent shooting. Bad shooting places extra pressure on the defense because missed shots let teams get out in transition and all the effort to crash the boards takes a toll on energy levels. TOs are a problem too but a good % of the LVs are unforced ones, rather than a failure in Xs and Os.

The big issue with this team is execution not so much design. And yes some of that shortfall can be blamed on the coaches but it is hard correct shooting woes in season. So, a lot of work needs to be done by these players in the off season. As Volfan2012 notes, the incoming players should help a lot. In general this was a fairly young team with Sophomores and Freshman playing big roles, due to injuries so that is a mediating factor as well.

On individual players, a lot of drive by posters are hammering on Tamari Key based on this one game and it was a bad one but she had a much improved season. Her defensive presence was stellar and she was finishing much better around the rim than in her first and second seasons. She had a poor first half against Belmont and came on strong in the 2nd half. I expected (and I bet the coaching staff) expected that to happen again after her 1st half struggles. Unfortunately, who knows what happened, if she got in her head too much or some unknown physical problem or if it was just one of those nights. But reducing her entire season of work to this one game is well speaking out of ignorance (I am betting that this was the first and only LV game that some of the most vociferous critics from yesterday watched all season). In general, Key's problems at the rim, from my view, have a lot to do with her footwork and getting her body in the right position. Some games she is pretty good in her positioning and other games she is putting up off balance shots. She needs another good of season on strength and conditioning. But if her improvement curve continues on its current trajectory, she will be a problem for teams next season.

We have battled tested PG come in, Jordan Horston will be back better than ever and LV freshman will not be Freshman anymore. Plus Rickea Jackson!!!!!!.

I am finding it hard to understand why so much negativity exist for a team that prior to losing Keyen and later Jordan H. was in the top 10; made the sweet 16 for the first in too long; and gave a #1 seed a game (despite not executing well and playing without their best player) and have quality players joining the program next season.

There should be considerable cause for optimism, as per LVOCD's thread. From the comments yesterday, it did seem that most of the negativity came from men's fans who migrated over to project their frustrations on the LVs loss (and sometimes wound up talking about Barnes's and the men's team quite explicitly). I don't get why folks who don't care about the LVs all season, decide its time to share their "wisdom" right after has a tough season ending loss but such is the way of the world.

Spot on.

Only if they learn how to run an Offense
If I can quote another coach, "It's not X's and O's that win games. You can run any offense and win if your team has confidence in themselves and their teammates and their coaches. If the players believe the coaches have done everything possible to put them in a situation to succeed."

Reactions: madtownvol
Couldnt agree with u more i remember being very excited to get diamond deshields and on paper that team was really talented but on the court was awful so itll be interesting to see how team chemistry will be

DD did somewhat redeem herself with her clutch play in the tourney getting us to the E8.

Reactions: Rons1989

VN Store

Back