Allstate Sugar Bowl: #2 Washington vs #3 Texas (8:45PM EST, ESPN)

I would still argue the play the loss rests on is the fumble in the 4th quarter off the big play after the RB ran into his own player.

Sark and DoBoer with horrible coaching jobs late...

I mean, the guy got injured and stopped the clock for Washington. It’s unlucky but it happens. Then a boneheaded kick catch interference. Not really DeBoer could have done about either of those things. Neither mattered in the end.

Reactions: vavolfan6
the series where they ran the flea flicker then threw a deep ball was a wasted series that could have taken much more clock

They screwed that up in a big way throwing it earlier and never should have even been running plays at the end
I don't understand. They ran it on all three downs. Texas had two timeouts and called it first two downs. Injury stop happened on 3rd down.

The possessions before that, the game was still within reach. They needed to try and score. Not play clock too much. Fortunately they held Texas to a FG the second to last possesion instead of a TD.

Who screwed what up? It was just unfortunate.
Shouldn’t have happened though. Needed to just run it on the 3rd down of the drive before to burn clock under 2:00 and eat their final timeout. Then on the last drive all they had to is take a knee and Texas wouldn’t have gotten the ball until under :15.

Reactions: 95 Vol Alum
Washington did their best to screw that up and turned a great win into a lucky win. That's PAC-10 football for you. No, wait, strike that- that's Big 10 football for you.

the series where they ran the flea flicker then threw a deep ball was a wasted series that could have taken much more clock
Too early to be playing clock. They needed more points. If it was a 3 possession game, then maybe you are conservative. But they never quite got to that point.

Reactions: vols40
I don't understand. They ran it on all three downs. Texas had two timeouts and called it first two downs. Injury stop happened on 3rd down.

The possessions before that, the game was still within reach. They needed to try and score. Not play clock too much. Fortunately they held Texas to a FG the second to last possesion instead of a TD.

The UW next to last series they threw the ball on 3rd down in easy FG range. At that point, running the clock and forcing a Texas TO was more important given a FG puts them up 2 scores (9 pts). Instead, TX got to save the TO on the incompletion and UW still kicked FG.

Reactions: GAVol and vavolfan6
I mean, the guy got injured and stopped the clock for Washington. It’s unlucky but it happens. Then a boneheaded kick catch interference. Not really DeBoer could have done about either of those things. Neither mattered in the end.

Texas was going to get the ball back with 20 seconds. If UW ran laterally (instead of up the middle), they would have run more time off the clock. The injury masked some bad clock management there...

Not to mention the 3rd down on the prior drive

Reactions: GAVol
Sark should have used his TO after 1st down on the drive after UW got inside the 10 to go up 9. Texas could have shown more urgency on drive where they cut to 6 and the dump off to Blue was a wasted play in the last 15 seconds...

Shouldn’t have happened though. Needed to just run it on the 3rd down of the drive before to burn clock under 2:00 and eat their final timeout. Then on the last drive all they had to is take a knee and Texas wouldn’t have gotten the ball until under :15.
On the last drive, The game wasn't over. A punt could go bad. A hail mary could have been scored. You want to get a first down and end the game with the ball in your hands. Each individual run took more time than a kneel down too. So there would have been more than 15 seconds likely.

And before that, I suppose you can make the argument they should have ran on 3rd down to force Texas to burn their 2nd timeout. But at the same time they were trying to score a TD, not just settle for a FG. For example by settling for the FG, if Texas was able to respond by scoring a quick TD it would have been a 2 point game. Or maybe Texas decides to kick a quicker FG so they can still get the ball back again if an Onsidd kick fails.

Sark should have used his TO after 1st down on the drive after UW got inside the 10 to go up 9. Texas could have shown more urgency on drive where they cut to 6 and the dump off to Blue was a wasted play in the last 15 seconds...
I agree that it seemed like Texas had worse Clock Management. CFP on the line and they are jogging in their hurry up. Tennessee's hurry up would put them too shame.

In addition to going quicker, I also thought Texas should have considered just kicking a FG immediately once they were in range.

The UW next to last series they threw the ball on 3rd down in easy FG range. At that point, running the clock and forcing a Texas TO was more important given a FG puts them up 2 scores (9 pts). Instead, TX got to save the TO on the incompletion and UW still kicked FG.
I can understand the reasoning. I just don't think its as black and white whether to do that or not.

You also want to score a TD, go for 2, and go up 2 TDs. Anything can happen and its possible Texas scores a quick FG/TD, gets an onside kick or the ball with little time, and score again. A 10 or 11 point lead is a different that a 9 point lead even though both are 2 score possession.

All this to say, I could see both approaches being the right one.

VN Store

Back