Alls Quiet On The Coaching Job Front

Phil Jackson took his family to the Knoxville zoo today to see the giraffe. He left for a clandestine meeting behind the gorilla cage that is how monkey business gets conducted

Hyams is the only one I've heard talking about this. So......

Hyams mentions it with every other breath. I think Stansbury would be a disaster hire. Jimmy thinks it would be a great hire. Since jimmy is a complete dumbass, I like where I stand on the issue.

Reactions: 1 person
Hyams mentions it with every other breath. I think Stansbury would be a disaster hire. Jimmy thinks it would be a great hire. Since jimmy is a complete dumbass, I like where I stand on the issue.

Is there any proven, big name candidate that you aren't going to trash? Who on earth do you want if you think Marshall, Howland and Stansbury are all terrible choices?

Didn't Miss State fire Stansbury a year ago?

This is what I'm having trouble grasping.

When Hamilton hired Martin, there was really no chance to go out and get a tier 1, even tier 2 guy. With all the Pearl/NCAA uncertainty, I think most understood the situation. That's not to say that we liked it, but it was understandable under those circumstances.

Here we are, three years later, weeks removed from a S16. There are no NCAA issues, no APR issues, no negative player issues.

I keep seeing tier 3 names, and some people seem okay with that. If we don't land a tier 1 or 2 coach now, then when? What has to happen?

White as an example. He has three years of experience, it's as unfair to expect him to have Pearl (13 years as a HC before UT) like results as it was for Martin.

People seem fine letting Hart make another tier three hire, at a time where it sure seems like we ought to be able to do better.

What gives?

This is what I'm having trouble grasping.

When Hamilton hired Martin, there was really no chance to go out and get a tier 1, even tier 2 guy. With all the Pearl/NCAA uncertainty, I think most understood the situation. That's not to say that we liked it, but it was understandable under those circumstances.

Here we are, three years later, weeks removed from a S16. There are no NCAA issues, no APR issues, no negative player issues.

I keep seeing tier 3 names, and some people seem okay with that. If we don't land a tier 1 or 2 coach now, then when? What has to happen?

White as an example. He has three years of experience, it's as unfair to expect him to have Pearl (13 years as a HC before UT) like results as it was for Martin.

People seem fine letting Hart make another tier three hire, at a time where it sure seems like we ought to be able to do better.

What gives?

Fan base has been beaten down after years of incompetent administrators and set their expectations really low since they have never been shown that we seriously pursue the top tier coaches. We tend to just accept the slop we are fed.

An interesting guy, who in no way is a candidate, but probably has just as much going for him as any other third level guy is Bobby Hurley. He just finished his first year at Buffalo going 19-10. He has a solid coaching pedigree, and great recruiting connections to the north east. He probably isn't ready for the spotlight yet, but I think he will get there eventually.

Fan base has been beaten down after years of incompetent administrators and set their expectations really low since they have never been shown that we seriously pursue the top tier coaches. We tend to just accept the slop we are fed.

I guess that's kind of what I'm getting at. The fans have come to accept an inexperienced hire, but they have expectations for the team that would be hard for most coaches with that level of experience to meet.

So rather than taking out the frustration on the guy that made the hire, it gets taken out on the guy who accepted the job.

rinse, cycle, get lucky, repeat...

I think had Martin gotten a few more years, he would have been a keeper, but this isn't 1970 and fans aren't going to be patient enough...for a coach to do what some of the great coaches have done, get better over time.

Hart knows this. At this point, it's almost cruel. To all involved.

Not sure where Crean fits in. Haven't heard his name anywhere.

If we get him I'd be extatic, however.

Oh, absolutely. The rebuilding job he did at Indiana was amazing. I can't understand why they'd let him go after two straight sweet sixteen trips.

Tom Crean has a $10M buy out. So TN would have to convince IU to not enforce that provision even if he were interested.

Nope, his hair is far too weird, and I would rather sell my season tickets than have to watch the lovechild of Tom Arnold and Dwight Schrute gallivanting around the sidelines :stop:

Tom Crean has a $10M buy out. So TN would have to convince IU to not enforce that provision even if he were interested.

Tom Crean leaing Indiana to coach Tennessee in basketball would be close to the equivalent of Butch Jones leaving Tennessee to coach Indiana in football. Where do you folks get these thoughts? From the Colorado fan club?

VN Store

Back