All-time best Vols

Sorry was thinking of the 1984 Bama game - 85 was when he got injured

Robinson delivered another strong performance in Tennessee's game against rival Alabama on October 20, 1984. With Alabama leading 27–13 midway through the fourth quarter, Robinson engineered a scoring drive which culminated with a 17-yard touchdown pass to McGee. Teammate Andre Creamer then returned a punt to the Alabama 11-yard line, and Jones scored from a yard out a few plays later to cut the lead to 27–26 with just over two minutes remaining. Majors opted to go for the two-point conversion, which Robinson scored by faking a pitch to Jones and diving over the goal line, giving Tennessee a 28–27 victory, and setting off a wild celebration at Neyland Stadium.[16] Robinson was named "Southeast Back of the Week" by the Associated Press for his performance.[17]

He did light Auburn up in 1985

On September 28, 1985, Tennessee hosted #1 Auburn, which featured eventual Heisman winner Bo Jackson at running back. On Tennessee's first drive, Robinson broke loose for a 39-yard scramble to set up the Vols' first score. Following an Auburn turnover, Robinson connected with McGee for a 37-yard touchdown. In the second quarter, Robinson engineered a third scoring drive, capped by an off-balance touchdown pass to Vince Carter. When Auburn cut the lead to 24–6 in the fourth quarter, Robinson led the Vols downfield on another scoring drive, which featured a long pass to McGee and a touchdown pass to Clinkscales. After Auburn scored again, Robinson responded with a 30–yard touchdown pass to Eric Swanson, and the Vols held on for a 38–20 win. Robinson finished with 259 yards passing and a school-record four touchdown passes.[26]Having upstaged Jackson, Robinson was featured on the cover of the October 7, 1985, edition of Sports Illustrated under the caption, "The Tennessee Waltz: Tony Robinson Buries Auburn."[3][27]

Sure, but you could find example from plenty of other QBs who had better games.. a game from a year you have fond memories of doesn't make Tony a better QB than a guy who has exponentially more yards, touchdowns, rushing yards, rushing touchdowns, or any other measurement of how good a QB is.

Wasn't he also using and selling cocaine as well? lol

I'd have
Webb
Lewis
Cobb

Now note, to my great chagrin, not one of my top three most talented managed to avoid major career pitfalls while here. (damnit)

To me... these GOAT debates have to consider eras. Majors wouldn't be the all-time GOAT of TN RB's to me. But then again I was always partial to Morristown's own James "Little Man" Stewart.

Reactions: 508mikey
Yes the best pure running back, and if he hadn't gotten hurt he would have been one of the best ever in college football.
He was phenomenal. And there was Jones and Cobb and Garner and Hayden and Lewis and Henry and Stephens and Graham and Hardesty, etc, etc. I even remember very, very good running backs from when I was a kid who don’t get a ton of mentions...Stanley Morgan, Kelsey Finch, Hubert Simpson among others.

Reactions: savannahfan
Webb
Cobb--Garner
Lewis

It's hard....But IMO those guys are the top 4 with a wide gap after them.
I think Lewis played not to get hurt in '99.... I don't really blame him for that...but

those other 3 guys above him laid it all out on the line every time they touched the FB....

I think Garner may be the most under-rated back we've ever had.

He doesn’t belong in the goat conversation, but Tony Thompson had a pretty damn good senior year.
Great back... enjoyed watching him flair out of the backfield and take a dump off pass and make huge yardage. Was a go to play for him.

my top ten of My all time [last 60 years]
10. C. Watson
9. J. Graham
8. H. Simpson
7. T. Henry
6. J. Steward
5. R. Cobb
4. .Johnny Jones
3. Charlie Garner
2. C. Webb
1. J. Lewis

I’m too young to say and it’s my weekend now late at night...but I’ll say that watching Tony Robinson play in the day excites me. I like him and I hate what drugs have done to been many intelligent and talented people on this planet. Manning-TR-HS-CC-TM...

Spiders everywhere are spinning Cobb-Webb.

Google cobweb if you don't get the joke.

Last edited:
Reactions: feathersax

VN Store

Back