All-time best Vols

Can't really comment on anyone before Andy Kelly, but from 1988 onward, I'd go:

(1) Peyton [duh!]
(2) Shuler,
(3) Casey Clausen,
(4) Josh Dobbs,
(5) Tee Martin

Manning and Shuler are obvious at #1 and #2 to me.

Clausen vs Dobbs is a much tougher debate. As a Senior, Dobbs was better than Casey, but Clausen had the better overall career. For a true Freshman QB, Casey put up some hefty stats.

(1) Peyton Manning
(2) Heath Shuler
(3) Condredge Holloway
(4) Casey Clausen
(5) Erik Ainge
(6) Tony Robinson

Reactions: MAD
Really hard to leave Dobbs off this list. He has way more statistical output than a lot of QBs mentioned and on way worse teams with terrible coaching..

5th in yards, 5th in passing TDs, 3rd all time total offensive yards, 2nd all time total touchdowns, tied with Peyton for most TDs in a season responsible for.. I love the legends as much as the next guy but Tony isn't top 10 in any statistical category or even threw for 2k yards in a season lol

Same with Streater.. anything he did Dobbs did exponentially better.

Reactions: MAD and LittleVol
Really hard to leave Dobbs off this list. He has way more statistical output than a lot of QBs mentioned and on way worse teams with terrible coaching..

5th in yards, 5th in passing TDs, 3rd all time total offensive yards, 2nd all time total touchdowns, tied with Peyton for most TDs in a season responsible for.. I love the legends as much as the next guy but Tony isn't top 10 in any statistical category or even threw for 2k yards in a season lol

Same with Streater.. anything he did Dobbs did exponentially better.

If you saw Tony play, you know he’s one of the greats. I think an argument could be made that he was the 2nd greatest as a college QB. His career was cut short by injury, but he was a Heisman front runner (perhaps THE Heisman front runner) when he went down. He had an incredible arm, was extremely accurate on all types of throws and had a natural feel for the position you just don’t see often.

It was also a much different offensive era when QBs didn’t put up the stats they did just 10 years later.

I actually think this is easy:
Manning, Robinson, Shuler, Holloway.

There’s a gap after that to a group of Kelly, Clausen, Donna, Ainge, and Bray (in no order).
100% agree. These QBs had that X Factor that you can’t coach or show in statistics. Actually, Manning probably had the least of that factor because he really didn’t need it.

If you saw Tony play, you know he’s one of the greats. I think an argument could be made that he was the 2nd greatest as a college QB. His career was cut short by injury, but he was a Heisman front runner (perhaps THE Heisman front runner) when he went down. He had an incredible arm, was extremely accurate on all types of throws and had a natural feel for the position you just don’t see often.

It was also a much different offensive era when QBs didn’t put up the stats they did just 10 years later.

In his best season he was 25th in passing yards and 18th in touchdowns, so there was definitely guys putting up better numbers. It wasn't unheard of. In his last season, 1985, he went out and the team went undefeated after his injury and Daryl mfin' Dickey, the backup, put up arguably better numbers and famously won MVP of the Sugar Bowl. It either tells me that he wasn't as good as his own backup, or the team was good enough to not need him at QB.

The team was probably good enough to not need him at QB seeing as Daryl Dickey, a guy who completely whatever everywhere he ever went, came in and put up numbers just as good as the guy you're saying is easily a top 4 QB in Tennessee history.

Like I previously said, a lot of these guys we're throwing out are just good QBs that played on great teams and won a lot of games. It's also really hard to make an argument for a guy being the 2nd greatest QB when he's not even near sniffing the top 10 in Tennessee history in passing yards or touchdowns for a career or a single season.

VN Store

Back