All things STOCKS

I doubt if he ran away from here. The troll game is ridiculous all about the other VN forums. Football is always toxic and I never set foot in the recruiting forum.

Have sold a couple of rental properties and have 1031'ed that into a rental house that we may eventually live in after oldest graduates high school. The new piece of real estate needed some work so that has taken a good bit of time. That and this place gets toxic at times. I should never feel worse after getting on VN than beforehand.

Hope that Biden doesn't retroactively nix 1031s.

Reactions: TheColdVolTruth
RKT hasn’t been getting crushed on the big broad market sell off days. I’d still like it to get closer to $18 before buying more.

EDOC and INTC are getting close to my buy limits.

Biden created a possible buying opportunity with the rails today. NSC is off over 6%. But if he follows through it could deteriorate a lot from here.

I do and haven’t had a strong opinion on what to do if anything. I’m probably going to pay off or at least pay down a mortgage and then refinance if I can get a great rate. Buying debt doesn’t seem wise with rates likely to go up over the next year or two. Stocks/companies that I really want to own are expensive. Real Estate kind of looks like a bubble. Even remodeling looks unwise right now with lumber prices and crews in high demand on new construction projects. Small, new motor homes aren’t inexpensive and fall apart and depreciate. Boats are a pain in the butt to own. Pickup trucks are ridiculously expensive. I don’t have a strong opinion so I’m kind of paralyzed. I might try participating in PE or hedge funds, but I kind of like seeing what my stuff is worth day-to-day. Plus those things aren’t real transparent.

I did inquire on here about TIPs a couple of weeks ago and had zero replies. I’d kind of like to find somewhere solid to park $$$ and wait out the off the charts completion to buy anything… investment assets or stuff with utility.

I look into things to invest in every day and nothing is convincing me to make big moves. I guess I should go 2, 3, maybe even 4 or 5 percent in something crypto. But I think the easy money there has already been made. I’m considering foreign country funds, but the US seems to be in better shape than most of the world. Even with the ND north of $20 trillion. A lot of places are still in really bad shape with COVID and aging demos. Maybe South Korea or Taiwan (although China’s hostility is disconcerting). Perhaps Canada and Mexico although Mexico can’t seem to pull themselves out of the criminal cartels having so much power.

Short term trading might be the best option for the foreseeable future. Defense and infrastructure domestic equities if they haven’t already popped. There will be a lot of spending building out the internet into more rural areas. Concrete and steel? Rails and transport? Optical Fiber and related parts are at the mercy of the CCP’s dumping.

I hate sitting on cash with inflation rumbling but I don’t have strong convictions on the alternatives.

Well said..... I think you're right on.

I just sold one house and bought another (down sizing) came out well on the deal bought under list due to inexperienced sellers and sellers agent and sold well over my list price thanks to a "bidding war". So that was good. However, I had raised a ton of cash incase the deals didn't go as planned. Also, locked a 2.99% 30 fixed on the new place.

So now I'm sitting on a bunch of cash and looking around. May wait for mutual funds to do some rebalancing end of quarter if I don't find anything attractive. And yes sitting in cash with potential inflation ahead doesn't make any sense.

Hate fixed income and REITS

Well said..... I think you're right on.

I just sold one house and bought another (down sizing) came out well on the deal bought under list due to inexperienced sellers and sellers agent and sold well over my list price thanks to a "bidding war". So that was good. However, I had raised a ton of cash incase the deals didn't go as planned. Also, locked a 2.99% 30 fixed on the new place.

So now I'm sitting on a bunch of cash and looking around. May wait for mutual funds to do some rebalancing end of quarter if I don't find anything attractive. And yes sitting in cash with potential inflation ahead doesn't make any sense.

Hate fixed income and REITS

I’d have more conviction if the end of the Biden/Harris 4 year term was closer. Especially defense industry equities. I think that they are vulnerable in the short term but a good idea in the long view. We are getting closer to the start of the mid-term election cycle, but it really won’t heat up much for another couple of quarters. I think that the Dems will give up seats and control of at least one side of Congress. But then will both sides just fight over power and throw the country under the bus or will the divided government ever learn to stop putting their parties first? I think that infrastructure companies will be doing very well, but a lot of that has already been factored in to the public equities. I wish that I owned an asphalt or cement or concrete distributorship.

I’d have more conviction if the end of the Biden/Harris 4 year term was closer. Especially defense industry equities. I think that they are vulnerable in the short term but a good idea in the long view. We are getting closer to the start of the mid-term election cycle, but it really won’t heat up much for another couple of quarters. I think that the Dems will give up seats and control of at least one side of Congress. But then will both sides just fight over power and throw the country under the bus or will the divided government ever learn to stop putting their parties first? I think that infrastructure companies will be doing very well, but a lot of that has already been factored in to the public equities. I wish that I owned an asphalt or cement or concrete distributorship.

My wife was the contract admin for a asphalt and concrete construction company for 19 years before going to work for a construction law firm as an analyst. Biggest problem with that industry is the sub contractors.... Lots of flakes.

I guess we have to learn the definition of "infrastructure" to know where to look. Could be tech.

Last edited:
I think that the social media bros have pushed equity prices well beyond reasonable valuations for new economy equities. Alt energy. Uber/Lyft. EVs. Crypto. E-commerce. Tech. Etc. But old, dirtier industries aren’t especially cheap right now either.

I always like financials. Healthcare has outstanding demographics but the government is always in play to push through major disruptions. I am always amazed to see how many $100 billion plus market cap pharma stocks that there are.

Reactions: Go aeiou
I think that the social media bros have pushed equity prices well beyond reasonable valuations for new economy equities. Alt energy. Uber/Lyft. EVs. Crypto. E-commerce. Tech. Etc. But old, dirtier industries aren’t especially cheap right now either.

I always like financials. Healthcare has outstanding demographics but the government is always in play to push through major disruptions. I am always amazed to see how many $100 billion plus market cap pharma stocks that there are.

I'm a little heavy in financials and healthcare. Not afraid of a good value when one comes around, but like to have some level of sector risk control.

By the way Foot Locker (FL) popped up on a screen I was running the other day. Always liked shoe companies as defensive stocks. Just haven't done the research yet.

Here's a thought, assuming the "government checks" stop soon and people start going back to work, what are the probabilities that they will be buying clothes to wear to work. I mean it's time to put the tee shirts, shorts, and flip flops that people have been wearing for a year and a half in the closet.

Here's a thought, assuming the "government checks" stop soon and people start going back to work, what are the probabilities that they will be buying clothes to wear to work. I mean it's time to put the tee shirts, shorts, and flip flops that people have been wearing for a year and a half in the closet.

I’d be buying Fruit of the Loom had Warren Buffett not stolen it from the retail investors. He stole my Shaw Industries shares in 2001. But… last time that I looked Berkshire was a laggard. That might be a good, safe equity to be in. Buffett and Munger have already scaled back even though they’ve not stepped down.

I had the same thought, but it appears all those stocks have gone through the roof recently.
Bonds suck. Stocks suck a little less. I know what you mean though. I'm looking at the unsexy boring stocks.

Good idea, though I'm not sure which stocks are undervalued in this sector. I would think any company that specializes in PPE would stand to profit, but it's hard to find any that haven't already reached new highs recently. $BOOT has doubled since Jan 1. $SCVL has nearly doubled as well.

TJX seems like a decent buy. It's actually slightly down since Jan 1. Decent dividend too.

MSC Industrial supply is another dividend stock that seems likely to see sales boosted for PPE, as well as $MMM.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about the food sector, particularly farm products as schools start back as well. Harvest season is also starting up.

I'm liking VITL for a possible reversal from here. Down 50% from it's 52 week high which was just after it IPO'd. Triple bottom formed on the daily. I'll probably try to scale in some here.

Last edited:
I think that I can make a little from VZ and DKNG in the 2nd half of 2021. VZ is kind of like a utility with the high yield and narrow trading range. DKNG should have a football season bump as long as the new litigation is a nothing burger.

Reactions: bignewt
I think that I can make a little from VZ and DKNG in the 2nd half of 2021. VZ is kind of like a utility with the high yield and narrow trading range. DKNG should have a football season bump as long as the new litigation is a nothing burger.

Yep that is why I got back into DKNG and got some GENI. Football bump is real.

Yep that is why I got back into DKNG and got some GENI. Football bump is real.

I used to try to get a small profit on Party City a month or two before Halloween. I was lucky with it and wasn’t long when the bottom fell out of that one. I really thought that they had a good business model since they manufactured a lot of their items. I guess they couldn’t compete with Walmart and their China suppliers.

After taking a look (I didn’t realize that they hadn't filed for bankruptcy)…

I haven’t paid attention to PRTY for over a year. Man, they’ve come back from the dead. They’re profitable and have a $1B market cap. Maybe their huge dive to under $1 was a COVID panic. I was trading it in the high teens iirc.

I certainly agree until proven otherwise.

CRSR (this is WSB but strangely it makes big profits) LT hold for sure. With what happened to RBLX and ATVI, this is next.
IIPR (REIT focused on marijuana stores) You could face a problem here with larger widespread weed legalization, Biden seems resistant though, so I like the ply at least in the near term.
MOS $40 PT
RKT selling weekly covered calls like clockwork I do not understand why so many in this thread have a boner for RKT

Have sold a couple of rental properties and have 1031'ed that into a rental house that we may eventually live in after oldest graduates high school. The new piece of real estate needed some work so that has taken a good bit of time. That and this place gets toxic at times. I should never feel worse after getting on VN than beforehand.

Hope that Biden doesn't retroactively nix 1031s.

1031 doesn't make sense to me . Why should capital gains on real property not be taxed, but stock gains are?

1031 doesn't make sense to me . Why should capital gains on real property not be taxed, but stock gains are?

1031 just defers the tax on gains, it doesn't eliminate it. If you use 1031 to buy real estate that you eventually use as a personal residence, you can possibly eliminate those gains (up to $500K) once you sell that personal residence. There are holding period rules (attempting or actually renting for 2 years). You can defer stock capital gains if you invest in Opportunity Zone Funds.

I think INND is going to be play of the year for me. Loaded the bottom here. Pink current imminently as they just finished all their filings. Biden has a hard on recently for OTC hearing aids. And they have deals with a decent number of F500 companies.

To reply to "mrorange211, post #9471 “ earlier today:

“RKT selling weekly covered calls like clockwork I do not understand why so many in this thread have a boner for RKT”
———————-
I can’t speak for others having an interest in RKT, but in my case… RKT is a very well run operation. The largest online loan originator and one of the largest overall. They can keep costs down by originating all of those loans in a centralized location rather than paying for geographical footprints all over the country. Millennials are a huge demo and they are comfortable with the online platform. Available in every state. They are profitable and have a single digit p/e ratio. Trading at less than half of its 52wk high. Lots of trading volume so the spread is tiny and positions can easily be quickly liquidated. They’re a highly rated employer by their employees. Probably a takeover candidate which creates a floor for the stock price.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back