All things STOCKS

It seems like everything continues to grind higher. I started taking profits pretty heavily today. I had my largest daily gain ever yesterday from a monetary standpoint. My entire speculative allocation spiked (spread across five tickers), and I was up 14% total portfolio for the day (up 34% ytd). I'll probably continue selling this week and start looking for entry points again on a pullback. It's hard to make sense of some of these valuations.

I did trim SQ and PING yesterday and FIVE, TSCO, and BIDU today. Those companies along with AMD, TMUS, NEE, BABA and PYPL are my 10 largest holdings.

I honestly do not see anything that I really wanna buy now. I did initiate VRTX in the $211 range, KMI in the upper 13s and I've added to RKT in the $21 range and TMUS around $123. Added to LVSand WYNN last week and both have run since (although a bit of pullback today).

I'm hoping for a good pullback (as long as I can keep my comma) since I am sitting on a decent pile of cash that I want to deploy.

Reactions: TheColdVolTruth
I did trim SQ and PING yesterday and FIVE, TSCO, and BIDU today. Those companies along with AMD, TMUS, NEE, BABA and PYPL are my 10 largest holdings.

I honestly do not see anything that I really wanna buy now. I did initiate VRTX in the $211 range, KMI in the upper 13s and I've added to RKT in the $21 range and TMUS around $123. Added to LVSand WYNN last week and both have run since (although a bit of pullback today).

I'm hoping for a good pullback (as long as I can keep my comma) since I am sitting on a decent pile of cash that I want to deploy.
CLOV, in my opinion, severely undervalued.

If you were putting new money in stock index etfs today, where would you set a trailing stop at?
Definitely never for me. I would never let a stop take out an index fund. It's just not worth it. For every time you're happy it sold, there's 10 or 20 times you'll get whipsawed.

Definitely never for me. I would never let a stop take out an index fund. It's just not worth it. For every time you're happy it sold, there's 10 or 20 times you'll get whipsawed.
Would you sell QQQ, for example, without a stop order? Or are you holding on no matter what happens?

Isn’t the whole point of an ETF to set it and forget it?
depends on strategy

I own some ETFs, and have stop losses. not saying this will happen anytime soon, but of course the bull market won't last forever and I definitely prefer not to take my stock/ETFs negative, so I add in stop losses so worst case I should preserve some profit (and eliminate/reduce losses)

I pretty much never buy penny stocks, but have a few hundred shares of GSAT and it's been doing well the last few days

kind of fun compared to my normal investing/trading

Reactions: DixieVol
Would you sell QQQ, for example, without a stop order? Or are you holding on no matter what happens?
This is cherry picking, okay, but in 10 years it's returned about 600%. It features extreme diversification, extreme low cost, and yet, somehow, is the highest performing large cap fund on earth. I'm just not seeing the problem.

P.S. At some point it will go down, and so you could buy more. If you buy QQQ, and you have this attitude "oh I will brilliantly sell it before it goes down" then you'll just die. That mentality will absolutely kill you with a index fund full of darling glamour stocks, which QQQ is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Go aeiou
The Vero dip was pretty worrisome, but it may never go back. Going back to one of the stockswingalert stocks, NNOX, they announced an offering and options are crazy expensive. I wanted to sell a put but I am out of money. I don't sell uncovered puts.

I hold CPST captstone turbine and that got whacked 20% today (earnings last night). The good news is I sold a covered call before earnings so that kind of cushioned the blow.

I missed SNDL. If they double or triple before I look at them, I am pretty hesitant. Sometimes I regret it.
On the other hand, look at GSAT, wow. It doubled and I sold half. Still running furiously.

I am currently experimenting with VIX hedging in various forms also. Today was a good day for that.

Reactions: bpalmer28
Maybe. That's why I want to set a sell order.
I own some ETFs, and have stop losses. not saying this will happen anytime soon, but of course the bull market won't last forever and I definitely prefer not to take my stock/ETFs negative, so I add in stop losses so worst case I should preserve some profit (and eliminate/reduce losses)
I think there's still some upside, but at these prices a 20% selloff is very imaginable.

That’s more appropriate for broad, index based ETFs. Some ETFs are very volatile. Some ETFs should only be held for a few days. VIX based ETFs aren’t LT holds. Precious Metal ETFs aren’t generally for buy and hold. ETFs focused on specific industries aren’t necessarily buy and hold. Inverse/Bear ETFs aren’t buy and forget investments, especially those that are leveraged.

Reactions: Tri-CitiesVol
I pretty much never buy penny stocks, but have a few hundred shares of GSAT and it's been doing well the last few days

kind of fun compared to my normal investing/trading

I screwed up that trade royally. Bought it a little high chasing it and then watched it sit at 1.04 for a couple days. Sold it at breakeven hoping to catch it on a dip, but instead it had its breakout.

The Vero dip was pretty worrisome, but it may never go back. Going back to one of the stockswingalert stocks, NNOX, they announced an offering and options are crazy expensive. I wanted to sell a put but I am out of money. I don't sell uncovered puts.

I hold CPST captstone turbine and that got whacked 20% today (earnings last night). The good news is I sold a covered call before earnings so that kind of cushioned the blow.

I missed SNDL. If they double or triple before I look at them, I am pretty hesitant. Sometimes I regret it.
On the other hand, look at GSAT, wow. It doubled and I sold half. Still running furiously.

I am currently experimenting with VIX hedging in various forms also. Today was a good day for that.

I averaged way down on CPST today. It’ll be 15-18 soon.

I thought about it. They're not making any money on higher revenues. That bugs me. I guess, given their run up from $1 to $10, I should view today as a temporary setback.

Wait until government kickbacks for all these alt energy plays start rolling in. TSLA doesn’t make any money either and they trade close to a grand per share haha.

Reactions: bpalmer28

VN Store

Back