All things STOCKS

I'm getting out of oil companies. I've owned BP since their little deepwater accident, and the dividends have been good. OTOH, aren't most new cars going to be electric in 10-15 years?
Gas looks like the next coal.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
I'm getting out of oil companies. I've owned BP since their little deepwater accident, and the dividends have been good. OTOH, aren't most new cars going to be electric in 10-15 years?
Gas looks like the next coal.

They'll just sell the fossil fuel to power plants instead. Oil isn't going away. Old batteries are going to be an environmental disaster and the trend could/should go back to internal combustion. Carbon isn't poison. Plants need it. But that's the long view. The next couple of decades could certainly hit the oil business. But the big players, XOM, BP, Chevron, RD-Shell, etc. will just transform to other types of energy.

I like Dominion. Those EVs have to be plugged into the power grid. NextEra is another good one if the trend rolls on.

I haven't read up on the energy industry lately. Can/does natural gas be transported over existing petroleum pipelines? Is liquified NG different than just NG? Does is have to be super cold to be transported? The LNG ships and oil tankers look totally different.

Bitcoin is back over $10k again. All these crypto gains have been keeping my portfolio growing rapidly over the past 7 weeks. Very helpful with equities being broadly flat since the start of the new year. Many crypto assets are up 25-100 percent in this time frame.

Reactions: quadlee21
They'll just sell the fossil fuel to power plants instead. Oil isn't going away. Old batteries are going to be an environmental disaster and the trend could/should go back to internal combustion. Carbon isn't poison. Plants need it. But that's the long view. The next couple of decades could certainly hit the oil business. But the big players, XOM, BP, Chevron, RD-Shell, etc. will just transform to other types of energy.

I like Dominion. Those EVs have to be plugged into the power grid. NextEra is another good one if the trend rolls on.

I haven't read up on the energy industry lately. Can/does natural gas be transported over existing petroleum pipelines? Is liquified NG different than just NG? Does is have to be super cold to be transported? The LNG ships and oil tankers look totally different.

LNG is -260°F. Pipes have to be insulated, and are costlier to build. But you can transport a bunch more LNG than compressed NG.

Reactions: Thunder Good-Oil
Bitcoin is back over $10k again. All these crypto gains have been keeping my portfolio growing rapidly over the past 7 weeks. Very helpful with equities being broadly flat since the start of the new year. Many crypto assets are up 25-100 percent in this time frame.

Crypto most likely got a boost when ICE announced their interest in eBay.

Beware of Variable Annuities.

Lots of politicking going on with them that I won't get into in The Pub. But 2 important takeaways, the gains will be taxed as ordinary income instead of receiving favorable capital gains treatment AND beneficiaries do not benefit from the stepped up cost basis rule. Also it's unbelievable that they are allowed to be sold inside of an IRA or 401(k) type of account.

Moon's comments are summarized on page 13:

http://www.mooncap.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/A-Look-at-Variable-Annuities.pdf

There's value in the Marijuana sector right now. Just look at the charts for THCX or YOLO (those tickers, lol).

This week, I've gone long with TLRY, ACB, CRON, and OGI. CGC's positive earnings have given this sector enough of a catalyst to start moving bullishly after a very rough 2019. Profit taking levels are the 3.86 Fibonacci retracements from their swing lows. I'll also be purchasing some OTM calls on the ETFs and play the IV to keep the premium.

There's value in the Marijuana sector right now. Just look at the charts for THCX or YOLO (those tickers, lol).

This week, I've gone long with TLRY, ACB, CRON, and OGI. CGC's positive earnings have given this sector enough of a catalyst to start moving bullishly after a very rough 2019. Profit taking levels are the 3.86 Fibonacci retracements from their swing lows. I'll also be purchasing some OTM calls on the ETFs and play the IV to keep the premium.
Too much competition in that sector and they aren't making the profits they thought they would get but it's definitely buy low right now.

STZ Constellation Brands. The alcohol business keeps the company sound while it waits for the weed business to take off through Canopy. The pure plays are riskier and not as well financed. But more upside from the pure plays. SMG Scott's Miracle-Gro is the picks and shovels play.

Reactions: GoVolsDR
There should be some contrarian plays with China trade and the Corona-virus. Cruise Lines have surely been getting hammered. Maybe other travel and gambling companies as well. Gambling should be taking off with the legalization of gambling by the SCOTUS 1 or 2 years ago.

Service Corp and Carriage Services in the death industry.

The mid-sized defense contractors that are technology oriented as well. Leidos. FLIR. Etc. The biggest might have a hard time growing due to scale, the deficit/budget cutting.

There should be some contrarian plays with China trade and the Corona-virus. Cruise Lines have surely been getting hammered. Maybe other travel and gambling companies as well. Gambling should be taking off with the legalization of gambling by the SCOTUS 1 or 2 years ago.

I've been buying DEAC calls since January. That's DraftKings, and they're bypassing the traditional IPO and are going the route of listing through a special acquisition company.

Looks like an interesting day in the market. DOW futures expecting an open down 800 points.

Looks like an interesting day in the market. DOW futures expecting an open down 800 points.

When selloffs like this happen, this is when I cost-average my positions lower. I already took profits last week and put those into Gold and Silver. The SPX has been on such an incredible run, a pullback was inevitable. I'm still a bull, but I've cut back my exposure to tech-heavy growth equities, and I'm going long on traditional safe haven assets.

VN Store

Back