All things STOCKS

This sure is one hell of a day to be long crude oil, and oil & gas exploring and production (Apache struck oil today, literally). Same with crypto, precious metals, and call options on the MIC tickers I gave over the weekend. Praying for our servicemen and women 🙏🙏🙏

I think that companies in defense/military technology could be the 21st century version of safe grandma stocks like Coca-Cola, Johnson & Johnson, IBM, McDonald's, and similar investments were in the 20th.

The smallish and mid-caps seem ripe. The big players buy them out left and right.

Not a pure defense contractor, but GE looks like it put in its bottom. They'll have really good support if Boeing ever gets straightened out.

I think that companies in defense/military technology could be the 21st century version of safe grandma stocks like Coca-Cola, Johnson & Johnson, IBM, McDonald's, and similar investments were in the 20th.

The smallish and mid-caps seem ripe. The big players buy them out left and right.

Not a pure defense contractor, but GE looks like it put in its bottom. They'll have really good support if Boeing ever gets straightened out.
Could have made a cool 50% in GE in less than 6 months if you bought it the day Harry Markopolos came out with his report of massive accounting fraud.

I bought some at 2.64...
Looking back at my trade history, I originally bought them at 1.64, flipped at 1.94.
Bought back in again at 1.80, sold at 1.97.
Bought again at $2, sold at 2.14.
Bought at 2.16, sold at 2.59
Bought at 2.45, sold at 2.60
Bought back in at 2.64....still holding. Thought about selling today when it spiked to 2.84, but I held.

Flipped 2,000 shares each time. Currently holding 2,000 shares.

Reactions: bignewt
Looking back at my trade history, I originally bought them at 1.64, flipped at 1.94.
Bought back in again at 1.80, sold at 1.97.
Bought again at $2, sold at 2.14.
Bought at 2.16, sold at 2.59
Bought at 2.45, sold at 2.60
Bought back in at 2.64....still holding. Thought about selling today when it spiked to 2.84, but I held.

Flipped 2,000 shares each time. Currently holding 2,000 shares.

I have half that. I'll hold for a bit and see what shakes out.

Covered calls on MGI are printing me money today. Shares are up 14% on strong YoY growth in December ahead of what are expected to be strong earnings. Daily bullish divergence showed up in early December, and we're finally seeing the measured move and retracement from a very reliable support area.

Just sold my 1/17 calls at .55 and I'm picking up 2/21 calls as an earnings and premium play

Really new to trading (less than a year) and super interested in it. What’s the easiest and best advice to tell if a company is a good buy or bad buy?

Really new to trading (less than a year) and super interested in it. What’s the easiest and best advice to tell if a company is a good buy or bad buy?

Generally a low price-to-earnings ratio. But even that isn't necessarily easy or simple. It's best to use it to compare to similar companies and where it's been historically. Really go in a little deeper and consider if earnings are consistent and growing steadily. Also steady revenue growth is a good sign. The debt and debt ratios are very important as well. Most companies that carry a heavy debt load into the next economic downturn will under perform those with strong balance sheets. Use Google and yahoo finance. The NYSE's website. The research provided by the online brokers' websites. Use investopedia dot com for solid definitions and explanations of any term you are not familiar with.

Wikipedia is also a great place to get information on any company that's not a micro-cap. Wiki's pages will occasionally be vandalized with false information but there are lots of links to the company's websites, SEC filings, executive bios, published news stories, and other info.

Reactions: Grudenator
Don’t go all in on one company. It could be rewarding, but it could also be a portfolio killer. Spread your funds out and wait for the pop. Don’t panic sell for a loss. Just hold and it will go back up. Patience is the most important tool with trading. Also, utilize the stop loss. This is how you secure profits, and also helps avoid selling too early.

If you’re investing say $10,000, spread that out evenly over 10 companies. Remember, % is %, so the share count doesn’t really matter. If one of your stocks is up 10% in one day, sell for $100 profit or set a stop loss. If each one gives you a 10% pop, you’ve made $1,000.

It’s easy if you have patience and a stomach to handle the down days.

Also, avoid trading in the first 30 mins. Unless you know something is going to run hard, don’t buy right at the bell. If it goes up right at open, there’s almost always a dip shortly after. You don’t typically want to stay in a stock that you jumped in on the climb. If they’re pointing straight up, sell before it crashes. Or again, set a trailing stop loss.

And don’t get married to a stock. If it’s up, sell her!

Understand the differences between investing and trading and know what your goals are. Investing in debt or equities require some trades to be executed. Trading can mean many things. High frequency traders often do not care about the financials, only the price movement. Some investors use trading strategies to enhance their returns.

It's also a good idea to learn basic accounting concepts ASAP when investing. It's not necessarily as important for short term trading.

The dozens, if not hundreds, of ratios are based on the 5 basic types of accounts. (4) Revenue, (5) expense, (1) assets, (2) liabilities, and (3) shareholder equity. Plus the income statement (revenue, expense, difference equals profit) and the balance sheet (assets minus liabilities equals the shareholder equity). The income statement is a measure of the activity in the 2 account types (4 and 5) over a PERIOD of time and the balance sheet is a measure of the other 3 account types at a POINT in time. The cash flow statement is more complicated than the IS and BS.

Understanding what a dividend is is a pretty important concept as well. Traders pay attention to dividend dates and when income statements are published.

Got a question. My wife and I own a business together. I also work for a company, get a salary, and participate in the 401K. For the company my wife and I own what is the best investment option? A SEP plan, regular/steady investing with post-tax $, a combo of both?

Personally, I'd like to have $1000-$1500 per month to invest in a TD Ameritrade type account. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: Big Gucci Sosa
Got a question. My wife and I own a business together. I also work for a company, get a salary, and participate in the 401K. For the company my wife and I own what is the best investment option? A SEP plan, regular/steady investing with post-tax $, a combo of both?

Personally, I'd like to have $1000-$1500 per month to invest in a TD Ameritrade type account. Thanks for your help.

I don't know what's best, but it's a good idea to get as much into a Roth-type of account as quickly as possible. Also, I've seen a lot of business owners that own their business's real estate and have the business pay them rent... but tax laws and strategies are dynamic concepts. The advantage of that setup might be different today.

Also, Schwab is buying Waterhouse last I checked so it might be easier to start there instead of migrating accounts after their merger.

You need to talk to a CPA.There are too many varibles including your age, income, needs, etc.
SEP-IRA? Do you have employees?
Children? College? 529 or similar

Thank guys. On our business it's just my wife and I. No employees. It's a home office based business. No kids at home. No college. Finding expenses is a challenge, at times. I though Roth IRA's had some income limitations. I think I need to talk to our CPA and a financial advisor.

We've never been in a position to invest because of debt. Now we're debt free for the most except for 2 mortgages on our properties.

Reactions: DocVOLiday

VN Store

Back