All things STOCKS

I might be falling in love with BLMN. I bought 20k shares at 6.10. Sold six weeks later at 10.50, 12.50, and 13.00. I bought back in 20k shares last Thursday at 9.14 and sold again today at 10.70. I closed today up 23% for the year in my primary portfolio. I'm holding about 25% in stocks, 35% in cash, and 40% in GLD and GDX.
You have over 500k with 125k stocks, 200k cash, and 200kish in gold? And you're investing in Outback? Wtf?

The traditional, full service sit-down restaurants are a pretty good proxy for the state of the economy. Those with large dining areas and huge parking lots seem to be doing very well (especially the big lots, I see dozens of cars lined up for take out... dining areas are just now re-opening at generally 50%).

I think that the fast casuals are getting a small boost from beverages at the expense of Coca Cola and Pepsi. When there is so much more carry out, the expense of drink refills has dropped (while KO and PEPs sales fall).

That's a solid point on margins due to no refills. The same would apply at fast food locations also.

You have over 500k with 125k stocks, 200k cash, and 200kish in gold? And you're investing in Outback? Wtf?

Restaurants were beat down like cruise stocks and airlines back in March. Many names were down more than 70% in four weeks from late February to late March. I thought the short term bull case for restaurants was more compelling than travel stocks. Many restaurants never ceased generating revenue. In some cases their revenue actually increased with takeout and drive thru (I also bought YUM at the time). There may be some great trades in the travel industry, but the valuation of restaurant names was more appealing to me a couple of months ago.

I had taken some profits after the first of the year, and I bought GLD and GDX. I had a small position I traded in and out of OILD for several months. It is now delisted, but it was a 3x inverse ETF based on WTI crude. As crude crashed, my small OILD position wasn't so small any more. I sold it before it delisted and bought a couple of restaurant names.

That's a solid point on margins due to no refills. The same would apply at fast food locations also.

I go to places like Moe's and Which Wich weekly. They are now slammed with big take out orders instead of one or two sandwiches/burritos at a time. Sometimes I'm next in line and the slow as molasses customer in front of me seems to be ordering for a bunch of Catholic families. The workers are also always putting together big call-in or on-line orders 5 or 10 minutes at a pop. I think that Moe's is under private equity ownership and Which Wich is part of a British (private?) conglomerate or grocery store chain.

Anyone have any thing that they have heard on the wire?
SHIP looks good again at .14. SGLB looks good for another .25 bounce. BIOC looks good for a move, but it may be too late to get in if you wait until market opens in the morning.

Anyone have any thing that they have heard on the wire?
So here’s something to consider...keep an eye on BTC.X. The halving just happened and regardless of what your thoughts are on Bitcoin if it’s a scam or whatever, here’s my reasoning. The “professionals” are all over the place with the price targets. I’ve seen back to $20,000, I’ve seen $40,000, I’ve seen $100,000, I’ve seen $1,000,000. I’d suggest throwing in $1,000. You may lose $1,000. But it could go to one of those crazy #’s...and at least you’d have some skin in the game if it did. Seems like it dips after halving and then runs about 4-6 months later.

I don’t currently have any Bitcoin, but it’s something worth thinking about.

Anyone see the TSA #’s from yesterday? Busted through 350k. Up 300% since the low on 4/14. Good sign for airline stock holders

VN Store

Back