All things STOCKS

DG also doesn’t have as big of a problem with shelf clearing theft that the big city stores are dealing with. Organized rings can only tote off a finite amount of toilet paper, laundry detergent, and feminine hygiene products. Plus the high proportion of pickup trucks with gun racks in the parking lots would be a deterrent.

Reactions: tbh and Go aeiou
I wish I could predict something. As you all probably know, semiconductors have about doubled in 6 months. Did anybody predict that? I didn't.

But in the meantime, I"ve rotated into a bunch of micro cap value stocks with my play money. They are crazy volatile. So my problem there is knowing when to sell. If they go up 20% and I sell them, they may go up 100% after that. The P/E's of the stuff I hold in my play money now is like 2.

For the real money, in my 401k and such, I have about 25% Midcap and "extended market" index. If they are cap weighted, these funds don't get affected by small caps. The midcap fund I have is actively managed.
Are micro-caps in the Russell 2000? Or are they even smaller?

This is my most go-to measure of when to buy and sell, which is why I sold on Tuesday.
It got even lower at times in the '10s.

I suspect the market is headed lower sooner or later, I just don't know when. It could be later in the summer, the fall?

Last edited:
As somebody that’s been working on opening a CHPT position for a while now, this is an interesting article. However I didn’t see any details of why TSLA’s deals with GM and F is “neutral” for ChargePoint. Maybe the standard just doesn’t matter for their business model.

Also interesting that Pilot/BRK has a deal in place with EVGO.

I do like the underlying themes of opportunities being created building out US based infrastructure. The Inflation Reduction Act. The green initiatives. Especially EVs (and AVs which could give the aging demographic the ability to remain independent longer). The supply chain issues from being dependent on foreign based sourcing. The CCP needing to be reeled in.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MW Here's why Tesla's latest EV-charging deal is more problematic for EVgo than ChargePoint.

By Claudia Assis

Tesla's advantage 'could hamper EVgo's ability to compete for market share'

Tesla Inc. has inked another fast-charging deal with a major U.S. automaker, this time with General Motors Co., sending shares of both EVgo Inc. and ChargePoint Holdings Inc. lower. But only one of those two EV-charging companies needs to worry.

News of the Tesla (TSLA) and GM (GM) deal is "somewhat cautious" for EVgo (EVGO) and "relatively neutral" for ChargePoint (CHPT), analysts at BofA Securities said in a note Friday. Others concurred.

See also:Tesla to open charging network to GM next year; GM, Tesla shares rally

In its statement late Thursday, GM specifically reiterated its commitment to the collaboration with EVgo and truck-stop operator Pilot Company's fast DC chargers. But that won't prevent investors from being "uneasy" about the Tesla agreement, the BofA analysts, led by Alex Vrabel, said in their note.

EVgo and Pilot, whose majority owner is Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (BRKA)(BRKA), inked their fast-charging DC deal late last year. Tesla uses AC power.

EVgo will compete more directly for utilization against Tesla's "highly reliable network" serving a larger piece of the future EV fleet, the analysts said. They kept their rating on EVgo shares at the equivalent of sell, saying there are "new uncertainties which further obfuscate the line of sight to positive cash flow generation."

In contrast, ChargePoint does not face direct risk on utilization, and its DC Fast network is largely fleet focused, the analysts said. They kept the equivalent of a buy rating on ChargePoint shares.

TPH analysts also saw more risk for EVgo and its DC model. In the short term, EVgo "has solid line-of-sight to stall growth" via its existing agreements, they said.

But the "magnitude of impacts to longer-term growth and utilization trends likely to come to the forefront as Tesla's scale advantage from a manufacturing perspective could hamper EVgo's ability to compete for market share," the analysts said.

However, given that the U.S. is in the early stages of its EV-charging infrastructure buildout and much more is needed, there may be room for all, the TPH analysts said.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk said back in July 2021 that he would open Tesla's Supercharger to other EVs, although he promised that would happen by the end of 2021.

Other EVs began to be allowed to charge at Tesla's fast-charging stations, usually located by exits off interstate highways and other major arteries, last year. Tesla created its own connector because there were no standards when it started, and it was the only maker of long-range cars, Musk said then.

The standard that both GM and Ford said they will adhere to soon, the North America Charging Standard, or NACS, is indeed the one pioneered by Tesla. Ford made its Tesla fast-charging announcement late last month.

GM, Ford and other automakers currently use the Combined Charging System, or CCS, as their charging connection, which is standard in most EVs in Europe and other regions. Tesla has made NACS open source, which means more products that use it are hitting the market.

Both GM and Ford have said that they will have adapters for their EVs within the next year and that by 2025 their EVs will come with NACS as standard.

Thursday's announcement was a "positive" for GM, as it eases consumers' charging concerns, the TPH analysts said.

Shares of EVgo have lost 18% so far this year and shares of ChargePoint have lost 13%. The S&P 500 has advanced around 12% in the same period.

-Claudia Assis

This content was created by MarketWatch, which is operated by Dow Jones & Co. MarketWatch is published independently from Dow Jones Newswires and The Wall Street Journal.

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

DJ ChargePoint Down Nearly 13%, on Pace for Largest Percent Decrease Since June 2022 -- Data Talk

ChargePoint Holdings, Inc. Class A ( CHPT ) is currently at $8.38, down $1.24 or 12.85%

--Would be lowest close since May 25, 2023, when it closed at $8.32

--On pace for largest percent decrease since June 13, 2022, when it fell 16.05%

--Currently down two consecutive days; down 14.37% over this period

--Worst two day stretch since the two days ending Aug. 22, 2022, when it fell 14.63%

--Down 13.39% month-to-date

--Down 12.12% year-to-date

--Down 81.83% from its all-time closing high of $46.10 on Dec. 24, 2020

--Down 41.80% from 52 weeks ago (June 10, 2022), when it closed at $14.39

--Down 56.49% from its 52-week closing high of $19.25 on Sept. 15, 2022

--Up 5.61% from its 52-week closing low of $7.93 on May 19, 2023

--Traded as low as $8.30; lowest intraday level since May 26, 2023, when it hit $8.05

--Down 13.63% at today's intraday low; largest intraday percent decrease since June 13, 2022, when it fell as much as 16.47%

All data as of 3:32:38 PM ET

Source: Dow Jones Market Data, FactSet

June 09, 2023 15:35 ET (19:35 GMT)

Copyright © 2023 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.

Last edited:
Lurking in the background.

The “recession” is just a headwind because it keeps getting deferred to next year. It shouldn’t be severe and I wish it would just happen so it will stop being an issue.

I read somewhere today to overweight foreign equities. They were asserting that the US$ was going to be weaker in a relative sense. I don’t know if I buy that. Everybody else is facing challenges as well and we might have support from both Ds and Rs to build out domestic manufacturing.

It’s a shame that Mexico is so corrupt and lawless. Canada with the natural resources, Mexico with the labor, and the US with the consumer base would be a formidable combination. Also it’s too bad that Canadian politics is being ruled by their elitist, urbanized areas. The western provinces should succeed and become US states.

Reactions: tbh
I will just mention that the recession is already here in some product demands. Companies are pre warning 2nd quarter earnings due to lower than expected demand.

Reactions: Go aeiou
DJ ChargePoint Down Nearly 13%, on Pace for Largest Percent Decrease Since June 2022 -- Data Talk

ChargePoint Holdings, Inc. Class A ( CHPT ) is currently at $8.38, down $1.24 or 12.85%

--Would be lowest close since May 25, 2023, when it closed at $8.32

--On pace for largest percent decrease since June 13, 2022, when it fell 16.05%

--Currently down two consecutive days; down 14.37% over this period

--Worst two day stretch since the two days ending Aug. 22, 2022, when it fell 14.63%

--Down 13.39% month-to-date

--Down 12.12% year-to-date

--Down 81.83% from its all-time closing high of $46.10 on Dec. 24, 2020

--Down 41.80% from 52 weeks ago (June 10, 2022), when it closed at $14.39

--Down 56.49% from its 52-week closing high of $19.25 on Sept. 15, 2022

--Up 5.61% from its 52-week closing low of $7.93 on May 19, 2023

--Traded as low as $8.30; lowest intraday level since May 26, 2023, when it hit $8.05

--Down 13.63% at today's intraday low; largest intraday percent decrease since June 13, 2022, when it fell as much as 16.47%

All data as of 3:32:38 PM ET

Source: Dow Jones Market Data, FactSet

June 09, 2023 15:35 ET (19:35 GMT)

Copyright © 2023 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.

I suspect the share price reflects peoples opinion of management and their slow charging products.
I own a small amt of it, but don't see a reason to add more.

The “recession” is just a headwind because it keeps getting deferred to next year. It shouldn’t be severe and I wish it would just happen so it will stop being an issue.

I read somewhere today to overweight foreign equities. They were asserting that the US$ was going to be weaker in a relative sense. I don’t know if I buy that. Everybody else is facing challenges as well and we might have support from both Ds and Rs to build out domestic manufacturing.

It’s a shame that Mexico is so corrupt and lawless. Canada with the natural resources, Mexico with the labor, and the US with the consumer base would be a formidable combination. Also it’s too bad that Canadian politics is being ruled by their elitist, urbanized areas. The western provinces should succeed and become US states.
I (foolishly?) bought an emerging markets etf months back and it has yet to come close to recovering its loses.

Earlier this week I heard someone talking favorably about South America. I have yet to look into it.

I'm about to get stopped out on FF (future fuels) Formerly known as "Arkansas Eastman". I guess this is just a microcap thing, just crazy erratic for no real reason.

VN Store

Back