All things STOCKS

Why did it crash about 3 weeks ago? Earnings miss?

Is the next earnings announcement in early February?
Crashed due to earnings miss, which the company blamed partially on the helium shortage. There’s no question the Party City stores need to modernize themselves a bit (which they’re working on), however, Amscan is where their money is. They produce the party products sold by Amazon, Bed Bath, Walmart, Target, Home Depot, etc..

Amscan is owned by Party City. That’s their future going forward, in my opinion. Already have licenses with Disney. Wouldn’t be surprised if Disney or Amazon bought their 900 US stores.

Crashed due to earnings miss, which the company blamed partially on the helium shortage. There’s no question the Party City stores need to modernize themselves a bit (which they’re working on), however, Amscan is where their money is. They produce the party products sold by Amazon, Bed Bath, Walmart, Target, Home Depot, etc..

Amscan is owned by Party City. That’s their future going forward, in my opinion. Already have licenses with Disney. Wouldn’t be surprised if Disney or Amazon bought their 900 US stores.

Are there 900 company owned stores or 900 total stores? I was under the impression that the local stores were owned by franchisees.

Are there 900 company owned stores or 900 total stores? I was under the impression that the local stores were owned by franchisees.
It’s a mix of both I believe. They recently sold their Canadian stores to Canada Tire. They turned down a buyout offer from the Chinese last year. Could be a good play. Any national chain that drops 75% in a week has my attention.

It’s a mix of both I believe. They recently sold their Canadian stores to Canada Tire. They turned down a buyout offer from the Chinese last year. Could be a good play. Any national chain that drops 75% in a week has my attention.

Private equity is in control of this thing. It's in their best interest for the stock to not recover and then they take it private. I bet that the remaining franchisees are a group that they'd like to cut out of the picture in addition to the other holders of the stock.

It looks like Lee Partners has been playing around with the capital structure. The publicly traded shares may not be the same entity that it was 5 or 10 years ago.

It's my guess that PRTY is tradable, but not necessarily a buy and hold equity.

Private equity is in control of this thing. It's in their best interest for the stock to not recover and then they take it private. I bet that the remaining franchisees are a group that they'd like to cut out of the picture in addition to the other holders of the stock.

It looks like Lee Partners has been playing around with the capital structure. The publicly traded shares may not be the same entity that it was 5 or 10 years ago.

It's my guess that PRTY is tradable, but not necessarily a buy and hold equity.
Oh definitely not a long term hold. But good for a nice flip. Going private would be nice and that’s a theory I’ve seen before as well.

Freak asked for 10 "core" stock holdings rather than a total portfolio of just 10 stocks. I agree though that a couple of dozen is necessary anymore. Who'd a thunk just a generation ago that companies like Sears would disappear? That businesses like GM and Delta would go bankrupt?

Yea, I know, I just can't do 10 core, it makes me uncomfortable. I prefer 25 to manage risk

Yea, I know, I just can't do 10 core, it makes me uncomfortable. I prefer 25 to manage risk

I kind of feel that once somebody owns a few dozen names (unless a handful are overweighted) their returns will pretty much reflect the DJIA. S&P500, QQQ, etc. But with individual stocks capturing tax losses or recognizing gains are under the control of the investor. When was it, 1999/2000 when so many mutual fund owners were screwed because the funds distributed gains at the end of 1999, then the funds crashed at the start of 2000, and many struggled to pay their 1999 taxes while their holdings were down significantly?

I understand the "indexing" issue. One of the potential issues with ETFs is passive crowding of basically indexed investing. As a value guy, I'll naturally have sector weightings different than the indexes.

I think you have the date right on the mutual fund tax issue.

Holding 8,000 shares of IFMK with an average of .36. Will probably sell tomorrow, but stop loss will be set to .41ish. Hopefully it runs more and I can get .50+ out of it.

netlfix is dead they said. Disney is gonna wreck it they said. The USA subs are shrinking sell sell sell they said...

Capture.JPG

VN Store

Back