All things STOCKS

When buying individual stocks, keep your winners. Read what Warren Buffet says on this. Actually read his Berkshire-Hathaway annual letters to the shareholders.

Sure wish I had gotten into Amazon back in the day, now that is a behemoth of a stock.

Sure wish I had gotten into Amazon back in the day, now that is a behemoth of a stock.

Even 6 or 7 years ago. I thought that the e-reader they started selling was a joke and they were heading into a death spiral. I think that Circuit City tainted me when they tried to invent their own version of DVD rentals. Seems like it was called DIVX.

Edit: yep... "DIVX"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIVX

Last edited:
Late 20's guy here just starting in the investing world. Any advice? Have vanguard mutual funds in my Roth IRA. Believe I have around a 9% ROI on lifetime of the IRA (7 yearsish)

Buy companies that dominate their space.. Reinvest your dividends

Buy companies that are heavy into AI.. Its the next transformation wave in our society.. Machine learning, Autonomous driving, robots

Stay with Vanguard and keep studying. Do not get crazy with your Roth IRA... you have decades of tax free, compound growth ahead of you. Equities with dividends are your friend. If you nibble on a risky investment, do it outside of a retirement account so that when you lose your money you can write it off of your taxes.

Vanguard is great... they are a mutual company that is owned by the investors. If they make a profit (they're a not-for-profit, but they're allowed to be profitable) they put it back into the organization to reduce the fees they charge client/owners for their investments. I can't say enough good things about Vanguard.

Don't disagree with anything you say here about Vanguard, they are a fantastic organization that I work with and recommend all the time. However, the only thing I'd add is that they can become bubble susceptible at times, for lack of a better term. I often will suggest that people find a way to diversify with something or at least consider an indexing strategy that might weight differently.

If you get professional help, actually writing a check to a fee-only financial advisor is probably less expensive than going to a fancy broker that will bury their charges by taking huge cuts disguised as fees in their investment options. There's a fiduciary rule kicking in in a few weeks that will require RETIREMENT account advisors to act in the interests of the investors over their own interests. It's hard to believe that the financial industry has been able to skirt this requirement... it will be interesting to keep an eye on it.

Some of us have been doing that for quite a while now.

Apple
Google
Amazon
Nvida
Tesla

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you meant AI companies. With the possible exception of NVDIA those companies are into many other things and AI is a small part of their product mix. I think that Analog Devices might be heavy into AI.

Or THC companies.

High risk. GW Pharma seems like the best of breed. Scott's Miracle Grow is aligning their business model to incorporate the reefers. There are a bunch of micro-caps in the space that look like sucker bets. It seems like there might be an ETF with a legalized marijuana theme.

Best Buy is up 22% today. Their online sales are way up and I bet they're getting a pop in appliance sales with Sears crumbling away.

Look for Ford to move their special yearly dividend up to gain investor interest in the new CEO

Cumulus has been swinging 25 or 30 percent every day. Ripe for trading. However I don't see how it can dig out of it's debt load and avoid bankruptcy in the next year or two.

There's a strong possibility that MMDMU raised their $200 million specifically to buy CMLS. It'd be cheaper to buy it after it defaults on the billion or two of debt though. MMDMU is a blank check company that had it's IPO about three weeks ago. It only has 3 or 4 employees, a plan to acquire media properties, and the $200+ million that it's raised.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back