All my friends say, “Look at that Defense, aren’t you happy?”

They post on FB or make statements in conversation. “Look at that defense! Aren’t y’all excited for Pruitt now??!!”

My response has always been, “Bama D is like Pruitt putting lipstick on Gigi Hadid. Sure he may have some small part in that success, but god**** if it doesn’t help to have the absolute cream of the crop of 5* players to work with.”

I really don’t think Bama defense is a 100% reflection on Pruitt at all. Maybe Pruitt factors into it perhaps 40%.

JMO

I am curious to see the factors and formula you used to arrive at 40%.

Reactions: 1 person
They post on FB or make statements in conversation. “Look at that defense! Aren’t y’all excited for Pruitt now??!!”

My response has always been, “Bama D is like Pruitt putting lipstick on Gigi Hadid. Sure he may have some small part in that success, but god**** if it doesn’t help to have the absolute cream of the crop of 5* players to work with.”

I really don’t think Bama defense is a 100% reflection on Pruitt at all. Maybe Pruitt factors into it perhaps 40%.

JMO

yeah lets just overlook his recruiting and defenses at the other places aswell.....

Pruitt is probably a pretty good defensive coach. I get that he's always been at schools that pretty much always recruit well and play good defense, but you don't get "allowed" on those staffs if you're some idiot. FSU's defense was good before he got there, but they were even better when he was DC and won a national title. Georgia's defense was good before he got there but he made them better while he was there. As far as the recruiting, he's had a hand in assembling these recruiting classes.

IMO, Pruitt's success or failure at Tennessee will largely be driven by the quality of the offensive staff he's able to put together. It's a bit of a risky hire, but I do think he has a pretty high ceiling.

Well said.

we're all in wait and see mode once again, so wait and see, and

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure the D will be fine, but when looking at Alabama on the field you are seeing a polished product. UT is going to be rough around the edges for a while.

Reactions: 5 people
I'm sure the D will be fine, but when looking at Alabama on the field you are seeing a polished product. UT is going to be rough around the edges for a while.

I'll take inconsistency early since that means they'll also be showing flashes of good play. If by year 3 or 4 we still see lots of inconsistency, it'll be clear that he isn't a great coach.

I'll take inconsistency early since that means they'll also be showing flashes of good play. If by year 3 or 4 we still see lots of inconsistency, it'll be clear that he isn't a great coach.

Yeah, he will have every tool at his disposal to succeed here. He has to do what Butch couldn't and develop players.

Our corners were really bad this year.. Historically bad against average to below average Qb TALENT IN THE LEAGUE

JMO

I prefer Gigi without lipstick

Probably, it's ironic how poorly they did.
Like Kiffin when he left Bama
Or off top of my head, Heupel at Missouri

Not in ALL cases, but when a coach leaves early, it typically hurts the team and kids...that's why Pruitt stayed to honor his commitment, and finish what he started.

Cutcliffe said hi.

Our corners were really bad this year.. Historically bad against average to below average Qb TALENT IN THE LEAGUE

Our secondary, and corners in particular, have been really bad (even worse than the program has been overall) for about a decade.

Before Cam Sutton last year, the last cornerback we had drafted was Jonathan Wade in 2007. The only other guy we had drafted out of the secondary over that same time was Eric Berry, and he wasn't a good player because of the coaching he received at Tennessee. He was an impact player as a true freshman and achieved everything he achieved at UT because of his own talent and work ethic.

Interestingly, we have had a lot of trench guys (offensive and defensive linemen) drafted over the last 10 years. They make up the bulk of NFL talent we have produced, but we haven't been a good line of scrimmage team in a long time either.

Is that why Saban praise Pruitt for his game plan for Clemson, because its only part a reflection of him when he designs the plan to stop a top 20 offense and number 1 ranked reigning national championship team?

In all fairness, Saban had praise for Dooley, too.

Of course he did. You don't publicly bash fellow coaches, especially one that worked under you.

Pruitt's resume is more impressive than Dooley's pre-Tennessee resume could even hope to be though.

To this day, Dooley has never even been a coordinator anywhere. He went from position coach straight to two head coaching jobs (Louisiana Tech and Tennessee) back to being a position coach. The only managerial-type coaching jobs he's ever had are at LA Tech and Tennessee. That's incredible. At least Pruitt has managed staffs at multiple top schools.

But the key was he gave all credit of the defensive game plan to Pruitt, and that game plan kept the reigning champs out of the endzone, and he did it while recruiting for Tennessee( many would argue fairly well).

Could I coach that defense vs Clemson and hold them to 6 points... nope... but I could probably hold Tennessee scoreless....

Bamas offense is a mess. Not impressed. Saban probably lamenting Kiffin running off those stellar 5 star QBs.

Makes Pruitt's 6 points even more impressive.

It will be refreshing to actually see players being developed here. Its seems like the only excitement under Lyle was the hype of our recruiting classes only to be followed with underwhelming performances, especially in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Cool story but what does it do with Pruitt being a HC honestly? Hold your horses. Be excited but we should be at the point where we have to see to believe.

Utkcrew, agree. However good coaches make everyone better. Even the walk ons can be coached to be better. If u start with 5* your foundation of skills & abilities is just better.

I think we can all agree we will see the difference during in game coaching and adjustments. Butch kept beating his head against the brick wall too stubborn.

VN Store

Back