All Beck related discussions from last night (merged)

The issue I have is I strive to be an example every where I go. The coaches probably preach that. There were 500 10 year olds in the stands who look up to Beck. Him doing that is him being an example. Doesn’t sit well with me. To bed, pumped for Supers!

I agree with some of your sentiment. I would also exercise caution when judging some 20 year old kid for being indecent. Unless I'm mistaken, Beck has been a good example thus far and made his first public mistake.

Even All Pros make mistakes and can and should be forgiven, assuming they learn from it and get the help they need. Heck, Superman himself got 2 DUIs while on the BaseVols coaching staff. Not really a good example from a grown man, especially one that EVERY SINGLE VOL BASEBALL FAN EVER looks up to.

We as a society are quick to judge, but take a long time to forgive. We all need to work on that imo.

Reactions: SmokinBob
If I was the coach and one of my players did that it would be a private conversation about maturity and that’s about it. unless it persisted after the talk.

the time will come when you will be called "OUT" if you release your bat after hitting the ball and it swaps ends in the air! And that will be a good rule! I've been watching baseball a long time, and this is just a new classless fad! But it will be halted!
Lol. I love baseball, but a lot of people don't. The energy and emotion is making the game fun for a lot of new fans. Take away the fun and you take away a lot of the new intrest in the game. A rule like that would just help kill of the sport a little more.

Shocklngly predictable responses. You don't flip off an opponent--that is bush league and terrible sportsmanship, period. We take things too far at times.
Glibert's 15-foot-high bat flip last night was also too much--disrespectful. Sure, flip your bat--but you don't flip it 15-feet in the air.
Gilbert's over-the-top celebratory bat flips and Beck's antics rounding 1st base would catch them a 95 mph fastball in the ribs, or possibly worse, in pro ball in their next AB at the pro level. The nature of college baseball sort of insulates them from retaliation and gives them an added sense of security and bravado to act out more than they would in the minors or MLB.

I know Vitello is competitive, and probably a little youthfully immature as a coach, himself, but I think he needs to start to rein the guys in a bit. Beck's reaction was too much and disrespectful. It's exactly the kind of thing we'd see a thread 20 pages long about full of seething comments towards Sonny D of Auburn had he done it to Tennessee, calling him a classless punk, amongst any number of other things.

I love seeing our guys celebrate and having fun. What Beck did crossed the line. I think he'd say as much if you asked him, today. He got caught up in the heat of the moment and reacted poorly, regardless of the situation or his own personal slump. He didn't represent himself, his family, or his school well in that moment.

The bat flip is the equivalent of an endzone dance, nothing wrong with it.

Exactly. I don’t want to watch a sterilized version of sports. It’s as much theater as it is a competition. I want to be engrossed in the moment. Players scoring touchdowns and walking to the bench right away or a hitter stroking a bomb and just doing nothing are boring. Give me ALL the juice and all the fire. It’s fun to watch. It’s okay to have fun.

Exactly. I don’t want to watch a sterilized version of sports. It’s as much theater as it is a competition. I want to be engrossed in the moment. Players scoring touchdowns and walking to the bench right away or a hitter stroking a bomb and just doing nothing are boring. Give me ALL the juice and all the fire. It’s fun to watch. It’s okay to have fun.
Yup. It's sickening to watch MLB players hug and hang out before games. Rivalries and passion makes sports fun, this buddy buddy crap is boring.

nope it was badass
What in the world is going on in your avatar?

Bat flip was awesome and a positive release of excitement. Bird flip was a different story IMO. However, I don't see it as a huge deal, think it should be addressed between coach and player and move on.

Just curious, if this happened in MLB, would the player be fined?

For God’s sake, no more posts about Beck’s celebration.

No fan in attendance saw it live.
Only a replay saw it.
I, myself showed my finger to the tv screen with the hit.

Let’s quit making obscene mountains out of petty mole hills. GaTech guys- if they saw it, would not have been offended.

My video where I thought CTV made same gesture night before war no more or less offensive.

Let it go Karen

I saw it go right in the middle of two or three Florida players around home plate!
It was Auburn and he tossed it underhanded towards the circle behind home plate where it did bounce and roll towards Auburn players near the on-deck circle, after having that same bat literally slung at his feet at the entrance to the Vol dugout. You said he THREW the bat AT the players, which couldn’t be further from the truth.

Gilbert's over-the-top celebratory bat flips and Beck's antics rounding 1st base would catch them a 95 mph fastball in the ribs, or possibly worse, in pro ball in their next AB at the pro level. The nature of college baseball sort of insulates them from retaliation and gives them an added sense of security and bravado to act out more than they would in the minors or MLB.

I know Vitello is competitive, and probably a little youthfully immature as a coach, himself, but I think he needs to start to rein the guys in a bit. Beck's reaction was too much and disrespectful. It's exactly the kind of thing we'd see a thread 20 pages long about full of seething comments towards Sonny D of Auburn had he done it to Tennessee, calling him a classless punk, amongst any number of other things.

I love seeing our guys celebrate and having fun. What Beck did crossed the line. I think he'd say as much if you asked him, today. He got caught up in the heat of the moment and reacted poorly, regardless of the situation or his own personal slump. He didn't represent himself, his family, or his school well in that moment.
Immature for sure. People forget that these are still young people. Some times young peeps don’t use the best judgement. I think Beck probably regrets that this morning.I told my wife the same thing about the celebrations in pro ball . She said if they throw at that little Drew they are going to have a problem with her. 🤦‍♂️

I’ve got zero issue with the bat flip. Emotional act. There is a ton of trash talking during a game too. It’s just another form of that.
As for the BIRD. Bad form but about as equal as cussing each other out on the field which happens ALL THE TIME. If a guy says “F you” and I flip him off in response, is that so much more egregious?

VN Store

Back