Alexus Dye out of Troy commits

remember the career, scoring and rebounding skills of Baylor's Nina Davis the under six foot forward , and the 6 foot center from Middle Tennessee who also played in the WNBA. She also brings - importance of and experience of winning. All of them will rebound the basketball.

my non expert opinion is to rely more on the decisions of the LV coaches than speculation of Boarders.

Agreed. The players Kellie and her staff have brought in so far all have a few things in common. First, they are all tough, no quit kind of players. All of them were leaders on their previous teams.

I like a player like Alexus. Reminds me of Shannon Bobbitt. Nobody would look at her because she was so small so she just played her way into their view. Alexus has done the same thing. She was barely recruited and went the JUCO route because she started playing ball later. Forced everyone to take notice at that level and then continued to draw attention at Troy. Shows perseverance and competitiveness. Two things that never go out of style.

Last edited:
As a seasoned glutton for punishment, I just watched a replay of Troy vs A&M.

Those girls of Troy needed one break at the end and those refs took the game and win away every time. The non over and back call, wtf?

That said, whose minutes will Dye take as a LV? She is just too small to play inside in the SEC. IMHO

Rennia's minutes lol she is only 2 inches shorter then Rennia

As a seasoned glutton for punishment, I just watched a replay of Troy vs A&M.

Those girls of Troy needed one break at the end and those refs took the game and win away every time. The non over and back call, wtf?

That said, whose minutes will Dye take as a LV? She is just too small to play inside in the SEC. IMHO
She torched TAMU and MSST, so I wouldn't be so sure she is too small for the SEC.

Her three point shooting is 0 for 1 in her entire career so she doesn't even take the shot. From mid-range and inside she is quite effective. She also has no effect on 2022 recruiting as she is a one year Grad Transfer. We will still have 4 scholarships available for that class. If we want to sign another player with more than one year eligibility we can do so.

Her three point shooting is 0 for 1 in her entire career so she doesn't even take the shot. From mid-range and inside she is quite effective. She also has no effect on 2022 recruiting as she is a one year Grad Transfer. We will still have 4 scholarships available for that class. If we want to sign another player with more than one year eligibility we can do so.
If she were going to be here 3-4 years, might want to see about adding 3 point shots, but she’s here one year, to keep the team highly competitive while the Freshmen learn. Let her do what Alexus does best, rebound and score!

My non expert opinion is she will bring experience and game. also for those who remember Baylor's Nunn who was a very successful undersized forward.

Her name was Nina Davis (5-11) she was from TN. Kentucky had Victoria Dunlap (i mistakenly said vivians earlier) and at 6-1 in the SEC she played the 4 (she did develop her 3pt shot) and i think she even won SEC player of the year.

Last edited:
Her name was Nina Davis (5-11) she was from TN. Kentucky had Victoria Vivians and at 6-1 in the SEC she played the 4 (she did develop her 3pt shot) and i think she even won SEC player of the year.
Victoria only played the 4 her senior year because MSST had no height on the team. She played on the wing for her first 3 years, and as a pro.

Victoria only played the 4 her senior year because MSST had no height on the team. She played on the wing for her first 3 years, and as a pro.

No, no sorry i meant victoria DUNLAP from KY. She played post and spread to the wing more and more.

sorry about the mixup

here’s the one i was talking about and while i’m at it she was the 2x Player of the year AND defensive player of the year. at 6-1 in the post she was putting in work

Her name was Nina Davis (5-11) she was from TN. Kentucky had Victoria Dunlap (i mistakenly said vivians earlier) and at 6-1 in the SEC she played the 4 (she did develop her 3pt shot) and i think she even won SEC player of the year.
Also was drafted to the WNBA by my Mystics

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Key, Dye, Green, and Striplin. I bet Marta does more from the three position along with Puckett. One through ten this team looks a lot better than last season. When we got to about seven players we got into some shaky ground. If everyone stays healthy this is the most quality depth of all the Harper team thus far. Besides the six I named there is Burrell, Horston, Wynn, Walker. The additional players are Darby, Rennie, Saunders, and Miles. This should be a real battle for the starting five and top five off the bench. It is already certain about four players aren't going to see much time next season.
PG- Walker, Horston, Miles
WG-Burrell, Wynn, Darby, Rennie
C-Key, Striplin, Saunders
PF-Dye, Green
WF-Suarez, Puckett

Key, Dye, Green, and Striplin. I bet Marta does more from the three position along with Puckett. One through ten this team looks a lot better than last season. When we got to about seven players we got into some shaky ground. If everyone stays healthy this is the most quality depth of all the Harper team thus far. Besides the six I named there is Burrell, Horston, Wynn, Walker. The additional players are Darby, Rennie, Saunders, and Miles. This should be a real battle for the starting five and top five off the bench. It is already certain about four players aren't going to see much time next season.
PF-Dye, Green
WF-Suarez, Puckett

I agree but need a pg Walker is not the answer against the top teams she folds. Don`t get me wrong she gets rebounds but we need a pg that can make things happen just my opinion.

I agree but need a pg Walker is not the answer against the top teams she folds. Don`t get me wrong she gets rebounds but we need a pg that can make things happen just my opinion.
She could be a lot better without the brace which definitely made her less mobile and her shot less effective. Her numbers were not horrible and improvement can be expected. Then there is Horston whom were expecting vast improvement from. The little freshman MIles can play the position has great passing and ball handling skills don't know how much she can do for us offensively. I don't see anyone else coming at point guard expect coaches think these three can cover. I would be more concerned about a wing that could make the three and guard. Right now that job to me looks to be Suarez and Puckett with Suarez needing to be quicker to guard there.

Also was drafted in the 1st round (11 overall) of the WNBA by my Mystics

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
No, no sorry i meant victoria DUNLAP from KY. She played post and spread to the wing more and more.

sorry about the mixup

here’s the one i was talking about and while i’m at it she was the 2x Player of the year AND defensive player of the year. at 6-1 in the post she was putting in work
I remember Dunlap. She was a great player.

Reactions: mlindsay
PF-Dye, Green
WF-Suarez, Puckett
I have a hard time believing that Horston won't be starting next year. She'll fill in at PG, but I think that she'll be the starting WF, with Suarez coming in behind her when she fills in for walker at the point.

She could be a lot better without the brace which definitely made her less mobile and her shot less effective. Her numbers were not horrible and improvement can be expected. Then there is Horston whom were expecting vast improvement from. The little freshman MIles can play the position has great passing and ball handling skills don't know how much she can do for us offensively. I don't see anyone else coming at point guard expect coaches think these three can cover. I would be more concerned about a wing that could make the three and guard. Right now that job to me looks to be Suarez and Puckett with Suarez needing to be quicker to guard there.
Her numbers were pretty terrible. 34% FG, 26% 3FG, 59% FT and a negative ATO are awful for a starting PG. At her prior school, her numbers weren't much better: 38% FG, 32% 3FG, 64% FT. She was a low-efficiency volume shooter at her old school. With the expected efficiency decrease with tougher competition and less dependency on her to be the primary shooter, her numbers last year were about what I was expecting from her and there's no reason to think that will change as a redshirt senior.

Tennessee still needs a portal upgrade for the PG, or bite the bullet and let Horston play their full time (not ideal, but at least her 1.5 ATO was relatively good).

I wonder what other schools Dye was considering. It’s always interesting to see what other schools were after a player. Anyone seen anything regarding this?

You are correct her numbers were not horrible and you might be right She could be a lot better without the brace. I`m just giving you my opinion after watching her, As for the wing it will all come down to the matchup. Like what team we are playing.

Reactions: makh and Volfan2012

VN Store

Back