Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

She seems marginally smarter than AOC. Better looking, too. She’s about as left wing loony as AOC, which probably won’t go over all that well in GA.

I’m sure there’s areas around ATL that’s at least that looney.

So she cost her district over 20k jobs and billions in revenue and wants to be thanked for it...the comments help restore my faith that most ppl understand economics and reject the corporations are evil talking points

Reactions: BigOrangeD
So she cost her district over 20k jobs and billions in revenue and wants to be thanked for it...the comments help restore my faith that most ppl understand economics and reject the corporations are evil talking points

I don’t know if there’s a dumber person in congress and that a very very low bar to try to get under . She cost them 23,000 jobs to settle for 1300-1500 and she’s waiting for an apology ? LOL

Last edited:

Do you believe she got a better deal for NYC than what they offered Amazon first and what having Amazons Headquarters in the city would have brought in ? She’s telling us year 1 was 700 , what was the estimated jobs after they got the building up ? She’s cheery picking and gloating over 1500 jobs from the largest company in the country . She can spin it anyway she wants ... losing an estimated 23k for 1500 is just stupid .

Reactions: tbwhhs
Do you believe she got a better deal for NYC than what they offered Amazon first and what having Amazons Headquarters in the city would have brought in ? She’s telling us year 1 was 700 , what was the estimated jobs after they got the building up ? She’s cheery picking and gloating over 1500 jobs from the largest company in the country . She can spin it anyway she wants ... losing an estimated 23k for 1500 is just stupid .
Yeah but they could have just taken that money from the tax incentives they were offering Amazon and just given it to the local people... right?

I think they’ll be okay. I find it ironic how the right is anti-government, but when it comes to using people’s tax dollars to subsidize multi-billion dollar corporations (that can certainly afford it themselves) they’re all for it.

Reactions: midnight orange
I think they’ll be okay. I find it ironic how the right is anti-government, but when it comes to using people’s tax dollars to subsidize multi-billion dollar corporations (that can certainly afford it themselves) they’re all for it.
It’s never about the money, it’s about the mascot on the cheerleading uniform.

Of course that's how you see it.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83

I didn’t ask if they will be ok , The question was do you think by giving up 23k jobs for 1500 she got NYC the better deal ?

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
From what I understand
I didn’t ask if they will be ok , The question was do you think by giving up 23k jobs for 1500 she got NYC the better deal ?
From what I understand, Amazon was going to receive close to 3 billion in incentives. 1.2 of that looks like it was going to be in tax relief, which is fine. The other 1.8 was going to come out of taxpayer’s wallets, which is not fine. This is central planning at its base and an example of privatized profits and socialized expenses. I don’t care how many jobs it creates (I’m not a utilitarian), stealing more money from taxpayers to create “jobs” is morally wrong. So good on AOC if this is the case, although the truth is that Amazon probably didn’t offer sufficient bribes or didn’t bribe the right people.

Reactions: Persian Vol
From what I understand

From what I understand, Amazon was going to receive close to 3 billion in incentives. 1.2 of that looks like it was going to be in tax relief, which is fine. The other 1.8 was going to come out of taxpayer’s wallets, which is not fine. This is central planning at its base and an example of privatized profits and socialized expenses. I don’t care how many jobs it creates (I’m not a utilitarian), stealing more money from taxpayers to create “jobs” is morally wrong. So good on AOC if this is the case, although the truth is that Amazon probably didn’t offer sufficient bribes or didn’t bribe the right people.
explain the 1.8 you are talking about. How does it come directly from taxpayer's wallets?

explain the 1.8 you are talking about. How does it come directly from taxpayer's wallets?

“The agreement comes with a number of incentives: Specifically, Amazon will receive $897 million from the city’s Relocation and Employment Assistance Program (REAP) and $386 million from the Industrial & Commercial Abatement Program (ICAP). It will receive an additional $505 million in a capital grant and $1.2 billion in “Excelsior” credits if its job creation goals are met. That brings the total amount of public funds granted to $2.988 billion—in other words, the city and state will pay Amazon $48,000 per job.”

Amazon’s HQ2 deal with New York, explained

Basically a bunch of NY alphabet agencies are paying amazon in the form of grants. That is money that has been or will need to be extracted from the taxpayer.

Well they would have been creating 23000 additional taxpayers, so it was pretty much a wash. Oh well.

That’s a one year payback!!
I don’t care. That’s also Amazon’s rosy projection. Stealing from me the taxpayer to pay a company to hire another taxpayer so they can pay taxes is the definition of cronyism. It’s also the govt picking winners and losers. And this could happen.

“Massive taxpayer subsidies and a contract that blocks refunds
Electrolux didn't just get tax breaks, it got huge cash grants to bring the 750,000-square-foot plant to Memphis, where it opened in 2012. Taxpayers paid more for the new factory than the company did, even reimbursing the company for purchases of conveyor belts and other equipment.
Hale said the company received $137 million in incentives to bring its $195 million plant to Memphis. According to a construction agreement from 2011, the government's $137 million was for up-front costs alone, while the company would pay about $60 million.”
Electrolux to close Memphis facility, 530 people to lose their jobs by 2020

Reactions: LouderVol

VN Store

Back