Alex Golesh UT OC - What were you thinking?????

First downs, not touchdowns
Last time I checked, Wins and Losses were based on the score.......not the number of 1st Downs. Three and Outs weren't our problem. There was only one in the first half. Missed opportunities on open receivers, penalties and turnovers were our problem.
1631634230358.png
1631634464391.png

Reactions: Rooster1
L
Probably never have been so mad at my curved 55" TV than I was the other day FFing through the game.

* We had an early lead of 7-0
* It's a known fact that QB Milton, who has a rocket of an arm, tends to over throw his receivers
* So, instead of grinding it out and getting first downs w short passes and runs - which in terms keeps our D on the sidelines resting, Coach Golesh attempts an air raid on the Pitt secondary and wants to run the score up
* It doesn't work on one series, so hey, let's try another series of 3 and out and well, how about yet even another. Why not? After all, I am the UT OC and I know what I'm doing
* WRONG!!!!!!!!!
* I don't blame Milton for one second for his errant throws because the coaching staff knew that going into the game. Of course I wish the kid was accurate, but he's a Hairball UM reject. Nuff said.

We had the chance to set the pace early in this game and keep momentum on our sides. Instead, the fans and players are disappointed w Milton's long tosses when all the time, it's the guy calling these repetitive plays that deserves the blame.

Coach Golesh - Please use the talent you have on the team properly. I know other teams might be better and or have more scholarship players, so that makes your job, IMO, the single most important job every Saturday afternoon. We have good kids who want to win and deserve to win but, can only do so with proper play calling. And personally, all I want is a W at the end of the game. I don't need a blow out to satisfy my fragile ego.

First downs, not touchdowns, is a philosophy most successful football teams adhere to as their MO. Grind it out, move the yard sticks, wear down their defense, control the clock and you will score points. And your fresh as a daisy defense will thank you by stopping their offense.
Love a good couch coach…there is a reason you’re not one.

Reactions: BanditVol
Probably never have been so mad at my curved 55" TV than I was the other day FFing through the game.

* It's a known fact that QB Milton, who has a rocket of an arm, tends to over throw his receivers
* So, instead of grinding it out and getting first downs w short passes and runs - which in terms keeps our D on the sidelines resting, Coach Golesh attempts an air raid on the Pitt secondary and wants to run the score up
* It doesn't work on one series, so hey, let's try another series of 3 and out and well, how about yet even another. Why not? After all, I am the UT OC and I know what I'm doing
* WRONG!!!!!!!!!
* I don't blame Milton for one second for his errant throws because the coaching staff knew that going into the game. Of course I wish the kid was accurate, but he's a Hairball UM reject. Nuff said.

We had the chance to set the pace early in this game and keep momentum on our sides. Instead, the fans and players are disappointed w Milton's long tosses when all the time, it's the guy calling these repetitive plays that deserves the blame.

Coach Golesh - Please use the talent you have on the team properly. I know other teams might be better and or have more scholarship players, so that makes your job, IMO, the single most important job every Saturday afternoon. We have good kids who want to win and deserve to win but, can only do so with proper play calling. And personally, all I want is a W at the end of the game. I don't need a blow out to satisfy my fragile ego.

First downs, not touchdowns, is a philosophy most successful football teams adhere to as their MO. Grind it out, move the yard sticks, wear down their defense, control the clock and you will score points. And your fresh as a daisy defense will thank you by stopping their offense.
Of course, if Milton completes those throws, we are up 28 to 0 before everyone is even seated, we coast to an easy win with plenty of playing time for everyone, and we are all happy and jolly today. The staff had EXACTLY the correct game plan early. We just didn’t have the right skill players on the field to execute it.

* WRONG!!!!!!!!!

Thank You Coach Pruitt for taking time to visit volnation!!!😁

Reactions: GoVolunteers
Or over throw badly and prove to the nation that our QB "is trash," as you might say. He can't make the throws and the misses are BAD.

Call me crazy, but the coaches should know this already. Why think Milton will miraculously improve over night?

I don't, so yank him. And, if not, Huepel is inept.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Our OL can't run block well enough to establish a solid running game against a decent team. Been a problem for years. Hopefully that will improve during the season as they get more experience with each other and the new offense. We have no choice but to pass - at least pass to set up the run.

Reactions: Woke

* WRONG!!!!!!!!!

I literally lol'd... If you have wide open receivers in the backfield there is no coach in the history of football that would not jump all over his qb if they didn't take the shot. Does Milton need to know how to back the power off just a little yes. Those passes not being caught were just not on the qb. Receivers need to know that when they break open to run full speed and not back off unless they need to adjust to the ball in the air. First downs don't win games points do... Give the guy a chance before throwing him under the bus. He only has 7 starts under his belt and a total of about 150ish throws in game before this season. He is still a freshman in terms of in game knowledge.

* WRONG!!!!!!!!!

You can't fix this. Fancoach has all the right answers, FBcoaches are all wrong.

For the sake of argument let's say Milton hits every open receiver during practice. OK great. Now he gets into the game gets excited because a receiver just broke wide open and gets the yips and over throws it. I remember the first time I went deer hunting and actually got to take a shot at a deer, I missed badly because I got "Deer Fever". Now the next time I got a shot at a deer I did not miss and have not missed many times since. You would think by 7 games in ( 5 at Mich) that Milton would no longer get the yip's. I think coach Hype is going to have to move on if Milton does not hit the wide open receivers this week.

This place is like a porta potty on a nice August day in Tennessee. Just all of our terrible takes marinating in the hot august sun. It stinks, this place stinks.

Reactions: StoneColdStunner
And here I thought he dialed up some excellent play calls with multiple receivers open for TDs on each series. It's clearly insane for him to think that his QB might complete a minimum of 1 out of 3. The one to Tillman was a pass most HS QBs could complete.

Spot on.

* WRONG!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, scheming plays for wide open TD passes is the first sign of an OC that doesn't know what he's doing. Lmao. Only a UT fan could come up with this and not use blue font.

And here I thought he dialed up some excellent play calls with multiple receivers open for TDs on each series. It's clearly insane for him to think that his QB might complete a minimum of 1 out of 3. The one to Tillman was a pass most HS QBs could complete.
Can you really call it an excellent play call if you know your QB can't execute the play? Open receivers are only a part of it. I think that's the OP's point.

Work within your limitations. If your QB is struggling, call plays he can make, build his confidence, keep the ball moving at a steady clip. You only need 3.34 yards per play to keep moving the sticks. You don't need 3 TD bombs to win a game.

Second strike is not having a QB who CAN execute those plays on the field. Or not having a QB prepared to execute those plays on the field.

It's like putting the petal to the floor in your Geo Metro and expecting it to go 110 mph. And if you want to go 110 mph, you need to trade-in your car for one that can do it. Golesh clearly keeps his foot on the gas when he's driving his Vespa.

VN Store

Back