Alec Abeln new TE coach

I'm sure there were other good choices out there, but Heupel is very familiar with this guy (played for Heupel at Mizzou and been with him since he got to UT) and likely has a very good read on his character, potential and his football IQ and his ability to tranfer that into coaching up kids. Young guy and in today's game these players tend to respond to young guys that played the game just ahead of them. Heupel has done well so far at getting the right personnel in place, Martinez is about the only question mark for me, so I'm comfortable letting Heupel do what Heupel does.

I'm sure there were other good choices out there, but Heupel is very familiar with this guy (played for Heupel at Mizzou and been with him since he got to UT) and likely has a very good read on his character, potential and his football IQ and his ability to tranfer that into coaching up kids. Young guy and in today's game these players tend to respond to young guys that played the game just ahead of them. Heupel has done well so far at getting the right personnel in place, Martinez is about the only question mark for me, so I'm comfortable letting Heupel do what Heupel does.
This is the take. Heupel knows exactly what he needs to stay competitive and build a great team of players and coaches.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
UT recruits itself with success… one TE coach won’t stop what CJH is building plus this is a guy unproven to the public but Heup has seen this guy in action both as a player and coach… his system runs like a well oiled machine for a reason… as long as the wins come the recruits will follow…

I think he’ll hold serve (at worst) with TE’s, but increase our profile with OL offers and add to coaching that position group.

Hiring within certainly worked with Kelsey Pope. Obviously we don't really know a ton about this guy, but Heupel has certainly earned the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: jim43
Still beating that “you can’t beat Bama without Bama talent” drum even after we literally beat Bama lol

You’re confusing 1 game with consistent success. You can beat Bama and/or Georgia every 5-10 years without their level of talent. But I’d like a little more than that.

I’d like the Bama/Georgia level of talent so that when we have an off night against USC for example, we still win like Georgia did against Missouri. Instead we have USC level talent

Reactions: hog88
At some point the bubble may burst, but as of now, Heupel has proven all the naysayers wrong. Many of our "experts" thought Danny White was out of his mind when he hired him. They wanted a "Big Name" coach.

I, for one, was excited to see him hired, and have been very pleased that he has proven so many who think they know so much, wrong.

I have been a Tennessee fan all my life, and I always tried to have high hopes and expectations, but I, for most of the later years, have been bored with our offense. Heupel came in and made Tennessee the most exciting team in the country on offense. Our defense is getting better also.

I love his loyalty to his assistant coaches, and I believe that loyalty means a lot to our players. I trust him to make the best decisions for Tennessee. I really do not care what any other coaches do, or how they do it. I love our coach, and I fully expect even greater things.

GO VOLS!

There are only 2 questions to ask 1. Does this and the OC hire help us take the steps to move closer to Bama, Georgia, Michigan and Clemson, 2. Do you see Saban, Smart, Dabo or Harbaugh making these kind of hires?
Jim Harbaugh is the smartest coach in America. Just ask him.

It's about the fit and the culture. Heupel knows the type of coach he wants for the staff to grow not only good players but make men out of them.

There are only 2 questions to ask 1. Does this and the OC hire help us take the steps to move closer to Bama, Georgia, Michigan and Clemson, 2. Do you see Saban, Smart, Dabo or Harbaugh making these kind of hires?

#1 is the only thing that matters. Whether Saban, Smart, Dabo, or Harbaugh would make this hire is irrelevant. Heupel has HIS system, HIS culture, and HIS methodology. It's working so far. There is more than one approach to building a winning program.

I will agree with you that there is more than one way to build a program, but can you agree that hiring an OC that has never called plays in a college game or ever been an OC in his coaching career, "Is a huge risk". There is HIS methodology and then there is a head scratching move. It very well could work to be awesome but defiantly outside the box. Blind trust has led to many an affair and then a divorce.

I will agree with you that there is more than one way to build a program, but can you agree that hiring an OC that has never called plays in a college game or ever been an OC in his coaching career, "Is a huge risk". There is HIS methodology and then there is a head scratching move. It very well could work to be awesome but defiantly outside the box. Blind trust has led to many an affair and then a divorce.
Golesh had never called plays and may not have at UCF or UT. Playcalling streams from Heupel. Nothing he doesn’t want happening actually occurs. That’s why you’ll never see an outside hire of a PROVEN OC. They wouldn’t sign up for that. Salee on Swain the other day invoked the most recent fail of Streater at Clemson as a cautionary tale for hiring from within. Vital difference is that Dabo didn’t create the offense…Chad Morris did. I don’t believe the latest narrative that Heupel is super-protective of his offense and doesn’t want outsiders to steal it. Any football film forensic nerd can break down this offense and chart the plays. What’s being protected is how Heupel and his coaches TEACH it to the players and make it second nature. Difficult if not impossible to replicate. Golesh will implement his own version down at USF. Doubt it’s a carbon copy.

Heard some struggles on his name. It’s ABE-lin.

VN Store

Back