'20 AL WR Kris Abrams-Draine

Jeremy Pruitt's connections in the state of Alabama run deep. One of those connections is a 2020 four-star receiver who has been a hard commitment to LSU for the last 10 months. Kris Abrams-Draine, from Spanish Fort, Ala., committed to the Tigers back in March, but the Tennessee head coach, and his staff, are staying in regular contact with the 6-foot, 160-pound receiver.

“I talk to them like everyday,” Abrams-Draine told GoVols247 of the Tennessee staff. The connection goes back to Pruitt’s time at Alabama. “I just have that relationship with Coach Pruitt,” Abrams-Draine said. “He’s one of my favorite coaches.” “A playmaker,” Abrams-Draine said of his game. “I can line up anywhere on the field and make plays.” Aside from Tennessee, Abrams-Draine has offers from Arkansas, Florida, Mississippi State and Ole Miss, among others.

He took an unofficial visit to Tennessee in the spring, following a visit to Arkansas in March, a couple weeks removed from committing to LSU. The Tigers offered on March 1, he visited on March 3 and committed four days later. “When I went down there it just felt like home,” Abrams-Draine said. “For real.” Abrams-Draine said “everything is good” with his commitment to LSU and his relationship with the Tigers, but he’s leaving his options open as his recruitment continues.

Moving forward, it’s Pruitt and his coaching staff — including wide receivers coach David Johnson and safeties coach Charles Kelly — who are pushing for a visit from Abrams-Draine. “Coach Johnson, Charles Kelly,” he said of the coaches he’s hearing from at Tennessee. “Coach Pruitt, he’s texting me sometimes. “They want me to come back up there for a visit. I most likely will.”

Visiting March 2 weekend...

Kris Abrams-Draine visited Tennessee in April for his first impression of Jeremy Pruitt's group in Knoxville, but plenty has changed since. So next weekend the Spanish Fort (Ala.) four-star athlete will be back at Rocky Top for a closer look at the Vols.

"I'm visiting Tennessee next week," he said. "March 2.

"I visited last spring, Coach (Jeremy) Pruitt was there but not Coach Tee Martin. He’s cool," Abrams-Draine said. "He can relate to me a lot because we are from the same place. I also want to meet the rest of the staff that's new and I'm looking forward to watching the basketball game."

The 6-foot, 160-pound two-way talent, who projects as a wide receiver or defensive back at the next level, remains locked in with LSU considering his verbal pledge has stretched nearly one year to this point. Another SEC West program could get him back on campus before the Tigers do, however.

"I'm suppose to visit Arkansas again March 9," he said. "They been busy down here."

"I have been thinking about this for about a month, and after talking it over with my mom, I decided to decommit from LSU," said Draine. "It was hard to do, but after talking to LSU almost every day for the first six or seven months, things had changed. "I am now going to take my time and make sure I pick the right school for me. "Tennessee, Arkansas and Georgia Tech are some of the schools recruiting me the hardest. I have been talking to them a lot.

"I was at Tennessee for a Junior Day (March 2) and I am going back for their spring game next week. Since Tee Martin got there, things have really changed with Tennessee. They are recruiting me hard and they are definitely up there for me now. "I like how real the coaches are at Tennessee. They make you work for your spot and I like how honest they are. I have some good relationships with players too.

"I have visited Georgia Tech too. I was up there right after I visited Tennessee in March. I know they are changing their offense this year, so I will be looking at that during the season. "Arkansas is a school I want to visit. Oregon is another one. I am going to look around now and see what is best for me. "I am not going to make another decision soon. I will probably decide before Signing Day. I am not sure if I will sign in December or February yet."

RIVALS REACTION
This did not come as a surprise to most that cover or follow Draine. He has always liked LSU, but the two parties appear to be on different pages. He recently visited Florida with his 7-on-7 team, so the Gators are a school to watch as well. Auburn is on his radar and he would like an offer from the in-state. He did not want to go all the way and say that Tennessee is now the clear favorite, but he was very close to it. The Vols are in a good place. It will be about communication with Draine. If you want one of the top playmakers in Alabama, then recruit him and be consistent. That will be very important.

-Chad Simmons

VN Store

Back