'21 AL S Jay Jones

pRKdWiK.gif

Just spoke with Tennessee CB commitment Jay Jones of Demopolis, Ala., who was back on campus today for the first time since the Vols’ game Nov. 2 against UAB.

He said he’s still solid with Tennessee but he’s still hearing from several other schools, and he plans to visit at least a couple of them. He said he expects to visit Auburn and Troy at some point in the near future.

The 6-foot, 189-pound Jones said he’s still hearing plenty from Vols defensive coordinator Derrick Ansley, and he likes that Ansley is a straightforward guy. He’s not sure yet whether he will be able to graduate early, but he said he’s looking into it and he’s interested in being an early enrollee, if he can do it.
- Callahan

Cautiously optimistic that Ansley is as good a finder of talent as Pruitt. Could be a test case for how good this secondary is gonna get. I want other schools to come for our prospects, just not Auburn. They’re like that kid who only sits beside you to cheat off your test.

Cautiously optimistic that Ansley is as good a finder of talent as Pruitt. Could be a test case for how good this secondary is gonna get. I want other schools to come for our prospects, just not Auburn. They’re like that kid who only sits beside you to cheat off your test.
😂 I hated those kids. Describes Auburn perfectly!

2 years to change his mind. Doesn't sound 100%
As of right now, this is where I feel I need to go to,” he said. “I’ll still take some more visits just to be sure.”

I love these so-called commitments

Commitment on layaway works both ways.

China?

Frame: Compact and well-proportioned. Adequate width across upper body. Long, muscled arms. Tightly-wound thighs and trunk with degree of natural size. Room for more weight, but doesn’t need much.

Athleticism: Good speed; clocked 4.59 40-yard dash at Tennessee’s camp in 2019. Adequate short-area quickness. Overall mobility somewhat limited by lack of flexibility in hips, ankles. Functional play strength. Natural hand-eye coordination.

Instincts: Tracks ball well in air. Enough recovery speed to chase receivers vertically after falling step behind. Solid aerial body control; leaps for deflections and interceptions. Quick to diagnose and help in run game. Mostly sheds blockers with finesse.

Polish: Inconsistent footwork and technique. Struggles mirroring receivers at LOS; needs better jam to compensate for quickness disadvantage. Slow to flip hips and run.

Bottom Line: Jones committed to the Vols in wake of posting standout testing numbers at their 2019 camp. May not have the wiggle and flexibility to stay at corner, especially if he continues adding weight. Surefire contributor for Tennessee regardless, who’s capable of starting at cornerback or free safety depending on development.

SI All-American Candidate Jay Jones Highlights and Evaluation

Could be wrong but don’t see this kid ending up with us on NSD

I believe a lot of people feel that way.
Mostly because lack of offers or star ranking and so many highly ranked guys interested.

However....and I can't believe I'm saying this.
He's very similar to a Memphis kid we missed on the year before last.

He looks like Maurice Hampton out there running around. Size speed and physicality.

It's so hard to gauge what's going to happen because of this pandemic...but if this kid plays this season he's going to get more attention. All the southern kids. Jones could blow up.

6'0 200 lbs runs a legit 4.5.
And he knows how to break down and tackle.

Has this coaching tree ever went back on personal camp offer and gitshirt them??
Because I can't think of one. I don't think they ever will, because that kind of goes against their own ability to gauge a player in person (camps) idea. I'm starting to change my mind with Jones. I think the staff likes him a lot.

I believe a lot of people feel that way.
Mostly because lack of offers or star ranking and so many highly ranked guys interested.

However....and I can't believe I'm saying this.
He's very similar to a Memphis kid we missed on the year before last.

He looks like Maurice Hampton out there running around. Size speed and physicality.

It's so hard to gauge what's going to happen because of this pandemic...but if this kid plays this season he's going to get more attention. All the southern kids. Jones could blow up.

6'0 200 lbs runs a legit 4.5.
And he knows how to break down and tackle.

Has this coaching tree ever went back on personal camp offer and gitshirt them??
Because I can't think of one. I don't think they ever will, because that kind of goes against their own ability to gauge a player in person (camps) idea. I'm starting to change my mind with Jones. I think the staff likes him a lot.

I think if they get Nyland Green, they’ll probably tell him to look around. They can like a player’s potential and still think there’s 4 other CBs higher on their board. I think they’d be very happy to end up with Green, McGhee, Howard, Rucker, White at DB.

I think if they get Nyland Green, they’ll probably tell him to look around. They can like a player’s potential and still think there’s 4 other CBs higher on their board. I think they’d be very happy to end up with Green, McGhee, Howard, Rucker, White at DB.

I believe Howard is beginning to become a legit RB prospect for them. Before it was for certain DB. Chaney wants to give him a shot on Offense.

True, you can like a guy and then others you like more want in later. Green and Jones both fit the athletic safety mold, rather than CB imo. So yeah, i do believe that would be a reason for them to let go of Jones.

The kid last year from GA that was a WR then moved to CB then transferred was a camp guy. Even started the GA State game at DB. If anything Green and Jones will probably be Vols.

I believe Howard is beginning to become a legit RB prospect for them. Before it was for certain DB. Chaney wants to give him a shot on Offense.

True, you can like a guy and then others you like more want in later. Green and Jones both fit the athletic safety mold, rather than CB imo. So yeah, i do believe that would be a reason for them to let go of Jones.

The kid last year from GA that was a WR then moved to CB then transferred was a camp guy. Even started the GA State game at DB. If anything Green and Jones will probably be Vols.

Brandon Davis didn’t start any games in his career and I don’t see Chaney getting a shot at moving Howard from DB.

VN Store

Back