‘23 AL RB Jeremiah Cobb (Auburn commit)

Small getting constantly met at the LOS against Ball State was an indicator of problems to come. I’m not sure why either because we didn’t really have that issue last year. I think we need to get Hooker more involved in the zone read game. It helps keep the front 6/7 more honest on those dive plays of the QB is a threat to keep it. I’m honestly surprised we haven’t seen more of it along with more triple options (faking the dive to Small with Wright/Holiday/Sampson as the pitchman) being ran out of split back sets

Maybe I am nuts but it seems like we never run things like RB screens. I think with Smalls shiftiness or Wrights speed, that would be a good play call every now and then. If there is one thing that frustrates me about Heupels offense it’s that. I felt like there could have been a few times yesterday where a well executed RB screen could have done some serious damage.

He’s also coached at Texas Tech and Washington State. Both places are extremely hard to recruit at, and Mississippi State isn’t much better. Would he have been a better hire than Heupel? That’s yet to be determined, but he definitely would’ve been a better hire than Pruitt and at the very least would’ve made Tennessee a more desirable destination for other coaches had he peaked at 8-4 by this time and been fired
Thanks for proving my point for me. Why haven't any of the big dogs ever came calling?

He’s also coached at Texas Tech and Washington State. Both places are extremely hard to recruit at, and Mississippi State isn’t much better. Would he have been a better hire than Heupel? That’s yet to be determined, but he definitely would’ve been a better hire than Pruitt and at the very least would’ve made Tennessee a more desirable destination for other coaches had he peaked at 8-4 by this time and been fired

That’s always brought up. But Mike Price won conference titles at WSU. Dykes won a conference title at Texas Tech. Leach has 2 10-win seasons out of 21 and 0 conference titles.

Leach performed below those guys at the same program. There’s a reason he hasn’t gotten interest from a big time program. He’s a high floor/low ceiling coach.

Plus, he’s an immature jerk.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Maybe I am nuts but it seems like we never run things like RB screens. I think with Smalls shiftiness or Wrights speed, that would be a good play call every now and then. If there is one thing that frustrates me about Heupels offense it’s that. I felt like there could have been a few times yesterday where a well executed RB screen could have done some serious damage.
Was thinking the exact thing yesterday. They were pinning their ears back trying to get to hooker. A rb screen would’ve burned them

Thanks for proving my point for me. Why haven't any of the big dogs ever came calling?

I have brought this same thing up. And usually the excuse given is some lame excuse about him not sucking up to the AD or something like that. I mean how many big time programs have changed head coaches since Leach was at TT? There is a reason no big time program has wanted him.

Reactions: SugarCC
Apparently he doesn’t like lineman blocking downfield or moving outside of the tackle box so they can get lined up quicker. That can make screens difficult to run. The only screen pass I recall since him being here was against Florida last year

Leach is the perfect coach for Mississippi State. Potential for an occasional 10 win season. Floor is roughly 6 wins. Entertaining offense. But, will never win the SEC. Not a coach that Tennessee fans would accept, but State fans will be okay with a career like that.
Nice summary.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
That’s true. That also makes him overrated, since so many think he’s a great coach.

I guess. But historically, the programs he has been in have struggled to win 7-8 games/year before he arrived and after he left. He isn't an elite coach by any means, but he's a good coach, imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: walkenvol
He’s not going anywhere. I want him to but Cadillac will survive a coaching change. And that’s who he’s going to play for, not Harsin. We don’t get Cobb unless the next guy decides to hire his own RB coach, and the way Auburn boosters are he may not have that choice
Hope you're wrong

He’s not going anywhere. I want him to but Cadillac will survive a coaching change. And that’s who he’s going to play for, not Harsin. We don’t get Cobb unless the next guy decides to hire his own RB coach, and the way Auburn boosters are he may not have that choice

What’s so great about playing for Cadillac? There’s great RB coaches all over. Putting your career in the hands of a dumpster fire program with a trash OL only Bc you like Cadillac Williams is pretty weird.

What’s so great about playing for Cadillac? There’s great RB coaches all over. Putting your career in the hands of a dumpster fire program with a trash OL only Bc you like Cadillac Williams is pretty weird.
Yeah Tanks Bigsby could’ve been eating in our offense had he not gone back to Auburn.

VN Store

Back