'19 AL DT LeDarrius Cox (Ole Miss signee)

From 247

“I’ve been leaning toward them (since) that visit,” said Cox, who’s ranked the No. 500 overall prospect and No. 35 defensive tackle in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite for the 2019 class.

“I didn't really think about (committing) when I was up there. I was just pretty much up there to get information about the school and about the football team and the program. But me and my mother talked about it, and I just decided to just go on and commit today, just out of the blue.”

Cox said he didn’t necessarily plan to decide on a college by this spring, but he’s “pretty much committing right now just so I can pretty much go into spring ball not thinking about it right now."

Georgia, LSU, Ole Miss and South Alabama also have hosted him since late February, but he said there was no clear runner-up among the other teams he was considering.

“It pretty much wasn’t, like, a top five or nothing like that,” he said. “I just decided to just commit to Tennessee because I really love them and stuff like that. I like the atmosphere and how everything’s close around the school, and just the town. I liked it very much.

“I just decided just to pull the trigger.”

He said Vols defensive line coach Tracy Rocker has started to build a strong relationship with him over the past few months, particularly since his visit to Tennessee last month, and Rocker played a major role in selling him on the Vols.

"Coach Rocker had a big impact on my decision — the type of coach he is, the type of man,” Cox said. “I just really love him as a coach.”

Cox said he also believes in Pruitt’s ability to turn around Tennessee’s program.

“I have faith in him, and I have faith in the coaching staff,” he said. “They’re going to bring the program up, and I want to be a part of it.”

He first told Rocker on Wednesday morning that he was ready to announce his choice, and Cox said Rocker was “very excited.” He said he later talked with Pruitt, who “was real excited about it,” too.

Cox said Tennessee has told him that he could “come in right away” and help on the defensive line. The Vols’ coaches, he said, have indicated that he could play both “three-technique and the nose tackle” in their new 3-4 defense, which also is expected to feature plenty of four-man fronts.

He said he plans to return to Tennessee before long to spend more time with the Vols’ staff and take another look at his future home.

But with the early signing period for the 2019 class still more than eight months away, he said he’s not ready to completely shut down his recruitment just yet.

“I’m still going to take other visits and stuff like that,” Cox said.

-Callahan

Tennessee Vols football recruiting: DT LeDarrius Cox commits to Vols, sold on new staff

Reactions: 5 people
giphy.gif

Reactions: 1 person
One year tops in S&C program and this kid will be a solid 320#... good Height for the weight and has a motor. Good pickup!

I think he was just saying that like Pruitt, kirby just wanted his own guy. I don't think he was saying anything bad about coach g.

Neither was I. I was pointing out the differences between the two departures. I haven’t heard anything negative about Gillespie...professional or otherwise. You saying the same applies with Rocker?

Neither was I. I was pointing out the differences between the two departures. I haven’t heard anything negative about Gillespie...professional or otherwise. You saying the same applies with Rocker?

I don't really understand the point you are trying to make. Maybe you don't like rocker for some reason? Don't really care and don't wanna clutter up the thread of a recruit that just committed today so I'll stop before going any further down this weird rabbit hole you are baiting.

Reactions: 3 people
darrius-coxjpg-edade0fddcb5a320.jpg

Cox finished his junior year with 26 tackles and six sacks in helping the Yellow Jackets to an unbeaten regular season and the team's third straight appearance in the Class 7A state championship game.

"The sky is the limit for this guy," said McGill head coach Earnest Hill, who served as the team's defensive coordinator before being elevated to head coach prior to the 2017 season. "Two years ago, I thought Darrius was going to be an offensive lineman, but he has been working his tail off and getting quicker, and he's changed my mind. He's so long, and he's getting faster."

McGill-Toolen noseguard Darrius Cox commits to SEC East school | AL.com

"You look at Darrius from his sophomore year or freshman year until now ... he's a different kid," Yellow Jackets' head coach Earnest Hill said. "He was big and sloppy. Now he's slimming up. He's done a great job in the weight room making fat into muscle. I'm very proud of where he is right now, but I want him to continue to grow and get better."
From 'sloppy' to 'nasty:' McGill DT Darrius Cox transforms into a top recruit | AL.com

Reactions: 5 people
I don't really understand the point you are trying to make. Maybe you don't like rocker for some reason? Don't really care and don't wanna clutter up the thread of a recruit that just committed today so I'll stop before going any further down this weird rabbit hole you are baiting.

Don’t know how you got that out of my posts. Did you READ what I posted? Or are you channeling some hippie ****? Kid loves Rocker. Says he’s WHY he committed. This is in conflict with what’s been put out BY UGA FANS about why Rocker was FIRED at UGA. My comments on Gillespie were to emphasize how we DID NOT personally disparage him after his departure. You’re usually pretty sound and reasonable but this got me thinking you’re hotboxing before posting. :blink:

Last edited:
Don’t know how you got that out of my posts. Did you READ what I posted? Or are you channeling some hippie ****? Kid loves Rocker. Says he’s WHY he committed. This is in conflict with what’s been put out BY UGA FANS about why Rocker was FIRED at UGA. You’re usually pretty sound and reasonable but this got me thinking your hotboxing before posting. :blink:

I like rocker and didn't believe any of that stuff about him. When he was hired I posted the article with quotes from the mother who supposedly didn't like him and got him fired, saying it was all untrue. I don't really think we disagree. I couldn't figure out why you wanted to argue about it. I just thought you misunderstood the other poster you quoted so I gave my interpretation. I'm gonna leave it at that and say boom. Glad we got this commitment. Looks like a solid prospect.

I like rocker and didn't believe any of that stuff about him. When he was hired I posted the article with quotes from the mother who supposedly didn't like him and got him fired, saying it was all untrue. I don't really think we disagree. I couldn't figure out why you wanted to argue about it. I just thought you misunderstood the other poster you quoted so I gave my interpretation. I'm gonna leave it at that and say boom. Glad we got this commitment. Looks like a solid prospect.

Help less. Like the feeling I had trying to explain myself. :pinch:

VN Store

Back