‘23 AL CB Rickey Gibson (Tennessee commit)

The only problem with that is if they do transfer, they come in behind where they would have been to begin with. JMO, but kids should really look at the path they face to playing time when picking a school. You don't get drafted from the bench.
I agree. But they are convinced they’re the best and want to try to prove it while getting the best training practicing against the best. Maybe after a few stories of players not getting picked up by good colleges when trying to transfer they may start reconsidering. Just consider what happened to a lot of players that transferred from us thinking they were going to be sought after like when they were recruited the first time.

I agree. But they are convinced they’re the best and want to try to prove it while getting the best training practicing against the best. Maybe after a few stories of players not getting picked up by good colleges when trying to transfer they may start reconsidering. Just consider what happened to a lot of players that transferred from us thinking they were going to be sought after like when they were recruited the first time.
I agree with you. My personal opinion is the portal should really be for those kids who were missed in the evaluation process, that end up at small schools and show out, and prove they deserve to be at a bigger school. Of course, that's not how it works, but these kids, especially with NIL now a factor, really need to take a more business-like approach and truly evaluate where they fit the best, how they fit, what is their best path to get to where they want to be? They have opportunities now that student-athletes of the past never had, and they need to be smarter, IMO, on how they make use of this opportunity.

And that statement isn't singular or particular to Gibson. I think every recruit needs to take that approach. If the goal is the NFL, choose your best chance at the NFL. If the goal is some other profession, then choose the school that gives you the best chance to succeed at that profession. I think too many kids make life decisions on whims rather than putting much thought into them.

What does that have to do with anything? I’m simply saying just because a guy is 6’2 and projects at corner doesn’t mean he will be a good corner in college. Sutton also didn’t get burnt time after time in his highlights and get bailed out by poor QB play. He also played in Georgia compared to Kentucky
Can you highlight these "time after time" plays for us. Maybe the coaches have missed something.

I think they are waiting to pick some up in the portal.
Between the new group that will emerge during this years high school kids and next years portal we should be ok. I have to admit it felt like things were rolling after the flurry we had a month ago so seeing it slow down some hurts right in the bvs.

The only problem with that is if they do transfer, they come in behind where they would have been to begin with. JMO, but kids should really look at the path they face to playing time when picking a school. You don't get drafted from the bench.
Kirby and Muschamp have a pretty good track record with DB's to sell unfortunately, and they've been at it a long time. Every kid thinks he can beat the odds.

Kirby and Muschamp have a pretty good track record with DB's to sell unfortunately, and they've been at it a long time. Every kid thinks he can beat the odds.
Yeah, I never get the ‘why go there where they have good players and you could sit the bench vs. come here where you can easily start’ arguments. Why do we want kids that don’t want to compete? We think it’s a bad career choice to be a competitor and go to a place that has had 6 dbs drafted in just the last 2 years? I want kids to come here bc they want to be Vols, not bc being on our team is easier than being on another team.

Reactions: VolByLaw
Yeah, I never get the ‘why go there where they have good players and you could sit the bench vs. come here where you can easily start’ arguments. Why do we want kids that don’t want to compete? We think it’s a bad career choice to be a competitor and go to a place that has had 6 dbs drafted in just the last 2 years? I want kids to come here bc they want to be Vols, not bc being on our team is easier than being on another team.
I get what you’re saying but if it was me I would rather go to a team on the rise and get on field right away.

The competitor in me wants on the field as soon as possible..

Gibson picking UGA really doesn't make much sense for him. I mean, I get it, he's enamored by their success, but they already have 3 higher rated CBs committed in this class, plus they're pursuing another in Chris Peal, who they supposedly lead on. They've also got a 5* safety committed. So where does he fit in there? It appears pretty deep down that depth chart. It just seems to me that he'd find playing time here well before he finds it there.
I would assume he is confident enough in his ability to beat those other guys out

Can you highlight these "time after time" plays for us. Maybe the coaches have missed something.
Just watch his “highlights” every vertical route he covers the WR gets by him and if a better QB was throwing those balls he’s not able to recover to break up the pass. Conyer is a nickelback who could be a solid player with help either on the inside or from a safety and maybe occasionally play outside in zone coverage. He’s not a guy you can put on the boundary in the SEC and expect him to play man coverage though. Which is what you have to have if you want a great defense

Reactions: Mccage
Just watch his “highlights” every vertical route he covers the WR gets by him and if a better QB was throwing those balls he’s not able to recover to break up the pass. Conyer is a nickelback who could be a solid player with help either on the inside or from a safety and maybe occasionally play outside in zone coverage. He’s not a guy you can put on the boundary in the SEC and expect him to play man coverage though. Which is what you have to have if you want a great defense
Don't underestimate Conyers so quickly...

The fact people can’t even remember his last name shows how insignificant he will be here. There’s no “s” at the end
You only show up when we are about to miss a guy… we don’t need elite defense under heup we not good defense that shows up situationally 3rd down and redzone… we will win a whole lot of games with elite offense and good situational defense…

VN Store

Back