'20 AL ATH Damarcus "Dee" Beckwith (Tennessee signee)

I thought Williamson was a blue shirt. Which is the opposite of a back count...it’s a forward count.
No, it's a back count, meaning he counts towards the next year. I guess we could be saying the same thing, but at the end of the day it counts towards next year.
Bylaw 15.5.6.3.3 A student-athlete not recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.8) by the institution who receives institutional financial aid (based in any degree on athletics ability) after beginning football practice becomes a counter but need not be counted as an initial counter until the next academic year if the institution has reached its initial limit for the year in question. However, the student-athlete shall be considered in the total counter limit for the academic year in which the aid was first received.

No, it's a back count, meaning he counts towards the next year. I guess we could be saying the same thing, but at the end of the day it counts towards next year.
Bylaw 15.5.6.3.3 A student-athlete not recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.8) by the institution who receives institutional financial aid (based in andegree on athletics ability) after beginning football practice becomes a counter but need not be counted as an initial counter until the next academic year if the institution has reached its initial limit for the year in question. However, the student-athlete shall be considered in the total counter limit for the academic year in which the aid was first received.

The more typical use of the term back counting is signing a guy this year and using an initial counter from a previous year where not all 25 of that years IC's had to be used. The bylaw you presented is the basis for Blue Shirts. Sign them this year and apply a following years IC to cover his scholly. This allows them to show up and play where the old Gray Shirt got them here, but could not participate until the following year. Typically they did not become full time students till the next year. BUT BUT BUT so many things change and I don't know how to look up absolute current interpretations and rules.

This has probably already been discussed, but does Barnes have enough scholarships available to offer Beckwith or Wideman, if necessary?

VN Store

Back