Airbnb thread

gordonr24

Vol in West TN
I haven’t seen a thread on this, but I’m curious what y’alls thoughts are on it. I booked an Airbnb in Knox for the Mississippi State game weekend. It’s my first time using one. It’s just so much cheaper than booking a hotel, and it seems to really have its perks.

I’m curious how many have considered or switched to using Airbnb’s when going out of town rather than hotels.

We use them almost all the time when we travel now. I do my best research the areas as best I can before booking and usually only book ones that have a decent amount of reviews. Have yet to have a bad experience but there is always some risk involved.

We use it and have never had a bad experience. Most people take care of their rentals to get more bookings.

I live in a small college town with only a couple hotels and I rent my entire house for graduation and other university events and avg 1k a night.

My wife and I rented a condo in Maui for our anniversary and planned the rest of the trip ourselves. We saved a ton of money compared to what a travel agent had offered us.

I don't know anything about this, so excuse the stupid question. Do you stay with someone in their home using this?

I don't know anything about this, so excuse the stupid question. Do you stay with someone in their home using this?

From what I can tell, some listings have you share the home with the owner, like a private room or private section of the house. Other listings give you an entire apt, condo, or house to yourself.

Reactions: joevol33
From what I can tell, some listings have you share the home with the owner, like a private room or private section of the house. Other listings give you an entire apt, condo, or house to yourself.
Thanks. I just don't know if I could do that, too many crazies out there now😄

Thanks. I just don't know if I could do that, too many crazies out there now😄

I researched the reviews first before I settled on mine. My booking had 5 stars across the board and over 80 reviews, so I feel good about it.

Reactions: joevol33
I researched the reviews first before I settled on mine. My booking had 5 stars across the board and over 80 reviews, so I feel good about it.
I'm sure most are fine, I just have luck that would hook me up with a serial killer😂

Used one in Chattanooga over the summer. It was a good experience. 2 bedroom house that was right by the Incline. Was about $200 less than a decent hotel the same weekend.

We use Airbnb, Vrbo, or Homeaway for probably 80% of our stays. We've stayed all over from Oahu to Sevierville and have never had a bad experience. We booked a 4 story townhome 2 blocks from Mile High in Denver with a hot tub on the roof for a game weekend once. You really can find whatever you're looking for.

I use it for long term rentals for my travel nursing assignments and have always had good experiences.

Did I see the other day that there’s now an Airbnb model for car rentals? 👀

Did I see the other day that there’s now an Airbnb model for car rentals? 👀

Turo is an app I’ve heard of. You rent cars from people. Similar interface as Uber. Cheaper than Enterprise and other car rental services

The gf and I always AirBnB. Never had to share the same building as the owner. Usually a good deal because you have all household facilities and none of the hotel negatives.

Turo is an app I’ve heard of. You rent cars from people. Similar interface as Uber. Cheaper than Enterprise and other car rental services
I've considered Turo in the past but haven't pulled the trigger. I think it's because I'm so meticulous with my car and could just see getting a ding or chip in the Turo and having an owner freak out. I would think the bigger agencies (and their employees) would be less likely to charge you.

I did use Audi's rental arm, silvercar.com last trip to Vegas. It was an easy process and you know what you're getting. Not the cheapest option though.

We use Airbnb a lot.

Earlier this summer we had one where you had to meet the owner for the key. I reached out the day before to plan a meeting. No response. No response the following morning. Call him and he says he'll send the info in a few minutes. Still nothing as we starting driving down for a 3 night stay. Half way there I get a message that the reservation had been cancelled. I had no idea what would happen next. (This was a $120/night place)

Airbnb called me. Apologized that due to a gas leak they had to cancel the reservation. They said they would reimburse me up to $250/nt for 2 nights of lodging to help out. I booked a nice hotel room next to the starting line of the race in downtown Atlanta. Sent a copy of the bill when we checked out. Airbnb credited my account for the amount within a few hours. Nice and easy. For the third night we moved across town. So, 3 nights of hotels in downtown Atlanta for $110ish. We had a lot of good karma that trip.

I've used AirBnB all over the US, in Cancun, and in Lima, Peru. Wife and I are staying most of an upcoming trip to Japan in AirBnBs.

So much cheaper than most hotels and in places like Japan you get a nice home feeling you wouldn't get anywhere else.

Watching the Braves game last week and they mentioned that one of the pitchers doesn’t have a place to live. When they’re on the road he stays in a hotel, and when they get back in town he stays in air bnbs.

I'll be staying at one next week for the first time, near Fort Jackson, SC, to attend my son's basic training graduation. Reviews were good, and for only $32/night, I couldn't pass it up.
Congrats to your son, and thank him for his service.

Reactions: Volinmem
Has anyone used an Airbnb or any other similar sites to stay somewhere in the Keys? Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA

VN Store

Back