Air Canada 624

Coug

This was originally reported as a "hard landing".

Hard Landing or a crash? You decide.

image.jpg

16779026680_1e8e89261a_o260570_high2.jpg

When a commercial jet crashes - people die. This is a hard landing.

I've been in 2 hard landings..this was just a really hard landing.

What differentiates a hard landing from a crash?! Somebody has to die? Is that your determining factor?

The landing gear is completely gone, the nose is gone, The right wing for the most part is gone, none of the engines are even on the plane anymore. There were no serious injuries but 22 people were taken to the hospital.

Here is a great explanation as to why it's not a hard landing. I can't site the source as it was someone posting in a comment section.

"That is not a hard landing. We classify hard landings as higher than normal forces on the landing gear transmitted to the airframe during landing, but without ground contact of the wings, empennage, fuselage, or engine nacelles. This was a collision with the ground and with man made structures."

Also, ABC World News had a great graphic simulation of what happened during the attempted landing but I can't find it to post it.

I've been in 2 hard landings..this was just a really hard landing.

And I'll bet those two planes still worked shortly after those hard landings too.

Since it first touched down well short of the runway, I'd say it's a crash.

What differentiates a hard landing from a crash?! Somebody has to die? Is that your determining factor?

The landing gear is completely gone, the nose is gone, The right wing for the most part is gone, none of the engines are even on the plane anymore. There were no serious injuries but 22 people were taken to the hospital.

Here is a great explanation as to why it's not a hard landing. I can't site the source as it was someone posting in a comment section.

"That is not a hard landing. We classify hard landings as higher than normal forces on the landing gear transmitted to the airframe during landing, but without ground contact of the wings, empennage, fuselage, or engine nacelles. This was a collision with the ground and with man made structures."

Also, ABC World News had a great graphic simulation of what happened during the attempted landing but I can't find it to post it.

And I'll bet those two planes still worked shortly after those hard landings too.

Still think it's a hard landing

I've been through hard landings and crashes, that was a crash.

VN Store

Back