Ainge on who should start at QB

orange plasma

Eric Ainge who seems to have trouble recognizing JG's inconsistencies and inability to make quick reads along with no mobility is already advocating that he should be moved back to the top of the depth chart for the remainder of the season. Would be a huge mistake IMO. While It's obvious JG along with Shrout had a decent game Saturday, I still believe that Maurer provides the best opportunity for long term success. JG would be much more valuable in a back up role
because it it seems to remove the mental strain and pressures that come with being the starter.

Eric Ainge who seems to have trouble recognizing JG's inconsistencies and inability to make quick reads along with no mobility is already advocating that he should be moved back to the top of the depth chart for the remainder of the season. Would be a huge mistake IMO. While It's obvious JG along with Shrout had a decent game Saturday, I still believe that Maurer provides the best opportunity for long term success. JG would be much more valuable in a back up role
because it it seems to remove the mental strain and pressures that come with being the starter.

It is a good point that JG seems to have improved with the ability to see the action from the sidelines and without the stress of being the lead. Hopefully, he can keep getting his confidence back from being snakebit early in the year and keep playing loose.

JT has proved that he can lead the team and gives that explosive deep ball threat that is needed to open the run game. JG, still not a big fan even though he had a good game. He wasn't consistently throwing to receivers in stride and lacks throwing them open. Also, with JG injury, it isn't worth putting him on the field.

Posted this in another thread, I think Maurer should still be the starter. Shrout and JG played GREAT against SC but I feel Maurer gives this team a spark on offense the others dont. With Maurer, Tennessee can beat anybody. Dont have that same confidence in the other 2. Just my personal opinion.

JG redeemed himself for the fumble by throwing the pass to Juan while taking a huge hit. Still, he has trouble with the deep ball. The defense can play closer to the LOS and destroy the run game when he is in the game. They just keep tightening up tightening up until he is out of air. Mauer and Shroud can throw it down field and must be respected. Its that simple.

Well...Ainge is entitled to his opinion as much as the rest of us.

JG had some good throws and managed the game well while he was in, but JT Shrout showed me that he is futher along in development than what the staff thought IMO. The way he read the field, was able to climb the pocket with pressure, and his throws (for the most part) were on the money. The staff will make the decision they will make, but I think Shrout could really show us a lot going forward in the season.

Its good that we got options. I see CJP going with the healthy guy with the hottest hand and everyone who is healthy enough to play and who had a great week of practice getting their turn.

Reactions: stephp4ut
I heard on the post game radio show that one commentator mentioned he believed we should sit Maurer the rest of the year due to the possible concussions and CTE. Give him extra time to recover. I believe Maurer is our best option, but long term health is more than football. I guess we will see!

I am just going to go with who the coaches pick they know more.

We may be in a situation to run a 2 or 3 QB system the rest of the year. Conventional wisdom says you can't win like that, but this team seems less than conventional. I don't see the likelihood of any of our QB's being able to perform consistently right now for 4 quarters, either because of injury or decision making. Maybe the three headed monster is what it will take to win out for now.

I think we should start JG if he is actually able to play. It’s hard to think he can have surgery on his hand and be ready by Saturday. If not then Shrout. Either way, I want to see Shrout get a lot of snaps and build on his experience.

If Maurer is healthy and cleared, I’d at least like him to take some snaps too. Even if he only played the first couple of series or so. I know it’s a risk, but I would like to see him get some playing time before Kentucky. If he sits this week, that’d be almost three weeks without taking any snaps.

It is a good point that JG seems to have improved with the ability to see the action from the sidelines and without the stress of being the lead. Hopefully, he can keep getting his confidence back from being snakebit early in the year and keep playing loose.
Agreed. And to add, I believe if it aint broke, dont fix it. Having JG come off the bench and play is working better than starting. If I were coach, we would stick with that approach until it no longer produced results.

I thought JG was having surgery on his hand that got jacked in the no call targeting play. I just assumed his year was over. I know it's his non throwing hand but still, it's not like he's gonna be out there wearing a cast on his wrist.

I do think JG plays better when he's sharing time with someone else. He didn't handle the pressure well of being the undisputed quarterback of the University of Tennessee, but last year with Keller Chryst as an option, JG had some good games. And this year his best games have come after Mauer and Shrout got some play. He excels when sharing the load with someone else, so why not let him share the load with someone else?

Last edited by a moderator:

Good post, cheers

I do think JG plays better when he's sharing time with someone else. He didn't handle the pressure of being the undisputed quarterback of the University of Tennessee, but last year with Keller Chryst as an option, JG had some good games. And this year his best games have come after Mauer and Shrout got some play. He excels when sharing the load with someone else, so why not let him share the load with someone else?
Yep...I think he may have found his role as a relief or change-up pitcher. He also seems to be good with that right now. I saw a sense of calm relief in his press conference the other day. His attitude around the demotion has been pleasant to see.

VN Store

Back