Aggie looking for info about Vols football

Howdy Vols,

We are planning to move to TN soon. Daughter attended UTK for an event a couple years ago and loved it. She is considering being a Vol now. :)

I don't know much about Tennessee football/sports, other than the OT game at Kyle Field a couple years back.

Any important info us Aggies should know if we want to become adopted Vol fans?

Thanks, Gig 'Em, and GBO.

All orange all the time. Anything and everything orange is a must.

I was going to let it pass but I can't.

If Texas is viewed as a child of the Great State, it is more like the result of an ill advised cantina crawl. If Little Feat could write a San Antonio version of Dixie Chicken, that might work.

That being said, I've met many many nice people in Texas but not any that have the taint of Austin upon them.

I was going to let it pass but I can't.

If Texas is viewed as a child of the Great State, it is more like the result of an ill advised cantina crawl. If Little Feat could write a San Antonio version of Dixie Chicken, that might work.

That being said, I've met many many nice people in Texas but not any that have the taint of Austin upon them.
I thought Austin was part of California.

Howdy Vols,

We are planning to move to TN soon. Daughter attended UTK for an event a couple years ago and loved it. She is considering being a Vol now. :)

I don't know much about Tennessee football/sports, other than the OT game at Kyle Field a couple years back.

I’ve discovered that many transplants to Tennessee have no clue what the stars on our flag mean. The Tri-Star on the Tennessee state flag represents the three grand divisions, west, middle, and East Tennessee. So, that’s something you should know. Welcome to TN!

Reactions: HalfullVol
When I went to UT in 1971 I was amazed at how bad the Knoxville TV stations were. Having grown up near Nashville I was used to very good local TV news broadcasts and the poor Knoxville TV was a shock. A girl I dated told me how a girl that lived on her dorm floor went to one of the local stations and applied for a weather girl spot and got hired without any previous experience as a broadcaster or meteorologist. Very low standards. I used to cringe at the poor local commercials like the Caz Walker supermarket commercials. If you've never seen one you have missed a butt puckering treat. To each his own. I lived in Birmingham for 3 years while in school after UT and it was the same way though. I talked to a newscaster once in Birmingham who said he was reading the news one night and the guy running the teleprompter was so high that he passed out and the teleprompter went off. I would choose East Tn over West Tn though. Knoxville is remarkable, lol, junk post right there.
Oh man your not kidding...He was a mean SOB thats for sure...He let his dogs loose on me and my cousin once when we were trying to get a couple of apples off one of his trees...He had a farm down the road from my aunt and uncle...Here is one of those memories of ole Cas.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Things that a good UT fan knows

1. ESPN hates us.
2. Manning was robbed of Heisman.
3. Get "1980" into any discussion with an UGA fan
4. You "Wooo" at a Ric Flair promo. You dont "Wooo" during Rocky Top.
5. Never ever buy orange roses
6. If not for the Volunteer State, the other UT would be the University of North Mexico at Austin
7. Vol Twitter dont lose.
8. There is nothing like a Tennessee football coaching search.

Oh man your not kidding...He was a mean SOB thats for sure...He let his dogs loose on me and my cousin once when we were trying to get a couple of apples off one of his trees...He had a farm down the road from my aunt and uncle...Here is one of those memories of ole Cas.

Attachments

• cas walker.jpg
    cas walker.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: VOLnMiami
Important Traditions:
- Vol Walk
- Running through the T
- The Vol Navy
- Rocky Top (unofficial fight song)

But being a vol fan is more than just top notch tailgating, world class sailgating, and a game atmosphere most only dream about.

It’s about the people that made the school, and athletics, great.

3 people you have to know:
Robert Neyland
Pat Summitt
Peyton Manning

You have to tear up when you hear the Tennessee Waltz played over the bells of Ayres Hall.

You have to visit Gus’ on the strip, and when you hear those 5 magical words “it’s football time in Tennessee” you have to feel like you could run through a wall.

That’s a good start to being an adopted fan. Anything short of that and you’re not taking full advantage.

Best post so far, but I would add John Ward to your list.

Can anybody argue that? No. Sir. Ree.

Oh - and read every post on this forum by OneManGang.

Last edited:
Howdy Vols,

Biggest difference between now and the OT game in 2016 is now we have a real coach.

I also a suggest you brush up on General Neyland. Under his tenure, he made Tennessee the powerhouse we strive to be today. Just a few facts:

He led Tennessee to 4 national championship titles.

He had an 173-31-12 record at Tennessee, an 80% winning percentage.

112 of his 173 victories were shutouts, or 64.7%.

In the ‘38-‘39 seasons, he coached Tennessee to 17 consecutive shutouts (a record that will most likely never be broken).

He is responsible for the Seven Maxims of Football, which I believe (I assume Coach Pruitt carries on that tradition) are still recited by the players before each game.

The Sevens Maxims of Football are as follows:
  • The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.
  • Play for and make the breaks and when one comes your way – SCORE.
  • If at first the game – or the breaks – go against you, don't let up... put on more steam.
  • Protect our kickers, our QB, our lead and our ball game.
  • Ball, oskie, cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle... for this is the WINNING EDGE.
  • Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made.
  • Carry the fight to our opponent and keep it there for 60 minutes.
Welcome to Vol Nation.

Has anyone mentioned The Rock as a UT tradition?
If not, we have a large rock on campus that students paint messages on.
We had a really great female artist named Payton (as opposed to Peyton) who did some beautiful drawings on it while she was in school.
She graduated two years ago.
Now the paintings are still good and often funny, just not great like hers were.

Well, if you want a good, visual tutorial on Tennessee football, here are a couple of documentaries that provide a good start:

These are the seven, sacred surviving commandments passed down from Neyland to this day:

For our 1998 National Championship game victory, see .

VN Store

Back