Aggie looking for info about Vols football

Howdy Vols,

We are planning to move to TN soon. Daughter attended UTK for an event a couple years ago and loved it. She is considering being a Vol now. :)

I don't know much about Tennessee football/sports, other than the OT game at Kyle Field a couple years back.

Any important info us Aggies should know if we want to become adopted Vol fans?

Thanks, Gig 'Em, and GBO.

Tennessee's sips are in Nashville.

You don’t say, “Gig ‘em” when you’re wearing true orange & white. You may be an Aggie with an offspring who is matriculating at Tennessee, but don’t play dress up and pretend to be a Vols fan. Tennesseans keep it real and don’t care for phonies.

I saw that too. What is gig'em? The only gig'um I could think of was what we do around here. Gig frogs. Is he talking about "horned frogs?"

Gamer, I think it's awesome that you're planning to move to Tennessee. Happy that your daughter enjoyed visiting Knoxville that much. Excited for you.

You're making the same trek as General Robert Neyland, though he came from Texas to Tennessee by way of West Point.

We Tennesseans like Texas. We think of it as our child, just as many of us think of North Carolina as Tennessee's parent. Tennesseans such as Davy Crockett played a big role helping Texas break free of Mexico and later join the Union. Think of fellas like Sam Houston, who was Tennessee's sixth governor, and later Texas' seventh governor.

All that to say that you will find welcome in the Volunteer state. You're already halfway family.

So, what to know about Tennessee football? Could write books. But other folks in the thread already hit a lot of what I'd say, so I won't be redundant.

It will all come with time living here. There's a fabric woven into the lives of every distinct group of people, and Tennesseans are no different. Most of us who have lived here since birth don't even think about it, never reflect on what it is at the core of our identity, but it's there. And some of it is really interesting. Has a lot to do with music and moonshine, hills and farms, selflessness combined with a joy at mixing it up a bit sometimes.

I'm glad you're joining us. Welcome.
Well said!!!!

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
The 3 parts of the state are quite different. West Tn is the pits, East is, well different. The only place to live is Middle Tennessee. Try Sumner and Williamson counties first. Williamson is full of rich folks, think Titans, Preds, rich musicians and rich business people with the accompanying attitudes. Williamson is supposed to have the best public schools if you have school aged children although Merrill Hyde Magnet School in Hendersonville is rated the best high school in the state. I moved to Sumner county 35 years ago and love it. Has houses on Old Hickory lake (Kelly Clarkson's is for sale for $7.5 million) and rural areas that are quite nice. Shelby County (Memphis) and Davidson (Nashville) are the only 2 counties to vote Dem in 2016. My subdivision is full of out of staters. Native Tennesseans, which we are, are considered unicorns. I see lots of vehicles with out of state license plates all the time in my area. Lots of Illinois, Ohio, and New York but I see more Texas plates than any other.

I believe this is a firm endorsement that East TN is the best.

Reactions: O.G.HomeGrownUTVOL
The 3 parts of the state are quite different. West Tn is the pits, East is, well different. The only place to live is Middle Tennessee. Try Sumner and Williamson counties first. Williamson is full of rich folks, think Titans, Preds, rich musicians and rich business people with the accompanying attitudes. Williamson is supposed to have the best public schools if you have school aged children although Merrill Hyde Magnet School in Hendersonville is rated the best high school in the state. I moved to Sumner county 35 years ago and love it. Has houses on Old Hickory lake (Kelly Clarkson's is for sale for $7.5 million) and rural areas that are quite nice. Shelby County (Memphis) and Davidson (Nashville) are the only 2 counties to vote Dem in 2016. My subdivision is full of out of staters. Native Tennesseans, which we are, are considered unicorns. I see lots of vehicles with out of state license plates all the time in my area. Lots of Illinois, Ohio, and New York but I see more Texas plates than any other.

I love how everyone fails to mention Chattanooga. It’s always Memphis, Nashville or Knoxville. All three are way more crowded and Chattanooga is hands down the the most scenic of them all.

A few more things:
1. Bammers hate Fulmer, not because he ratted them out tot he AA (which was later disproved), but because he owned their crimson butts
2. If you have the chance, go to a game on a boat, aka, Vol Navy. It might change your life forever.
3. We are WRU. Just look it up.
4. General Neyland may be the greatest human being to ever don the color Orange. Read about him here The Head Coach -- Part 4 -- The General

We Tennesseans like Texas. We think of it as our child, just as many of us think of North Carolina as Tennessee's parent. Tennesseans such as Davy Crockett played a big role helping Texas break free of Mexico and later join the Union. Think of fellas like Sam Houston, who was Tennessee's sixth governor, and later Texas' seventh governor.

The story of the Alamo was my favorite part of study of Texas history. Crockett, Bowie, Travis and the rest were some of the bravest men in history, IMHO. Crockett holds a special place in the hearts of all Texans, and we are all thankful for the sacrifice he made to help insure the freedom and secure a future for Texas.

No, not Williamson. It's already getting too crowded with all the traffic issues that entails, and we have a big tax bomb that is going to go off to pay for 12 more schools over the next 10 years that are going to cost a fortune. The county is already almost $ 1 billion in debt. The writing is on the wall. Big tax hikes are coming.

Howdy Vols,

We are planning to move to TN soon. Daughter attended UTK for an event a couple years ago and loved it. She is considering being a Vol now. :)

I don't know much about Tennessee football/sports, other than the OT game at Kyle Field a couple years back.

First thing, learn Robert Neyland's 7 maxims.

Second, go to YouTube and watch the following games with John Ward doing the play-by-play: 1985 Tennessee-Auburn game; 1986 Sugar Bowl, Tennessee-Miami; and 1998 Tennessee-Florida game. (Other games you could consider watching 1971 Tennessee-Penn State; 1991 Tennessee-Notre Dame.) If you like blowouts you can pretty much watch any Tennessee versus Kentucky or Vanderbilt game from 1990 through 2000.

Third, go to YouTube and watch any game with the Lady Vols Basketball team when Pat Summit was the head coach.

If you like women's sports, the basketball team is in a rebuild with a former 3-time National Championship point guard of Pat's, Kellie Harper, as the head coach.

The women's softball team is excellent.

There is an excellent theater on campus, the Clarence Brown Theater.

Finally, live in Maryville (20 minute drive to the National Park), work in Knoxville unless you're into country clubs. Then live in Knoxville and join Cherokee CC.

Welcome to Big Orange Country.

Reactions: GamerAg
I get tired of people referring to West TN as just Memphis. There are a ton of awesome places and people there. Very friendly and many represent true Southern hospitality. Clarksville is a military town so you get a peppering of people from all over. The growth in Nashville has pushed some lower income people that way. Williamson County is south of Nashville and it's lost it's way. If you need a Lexus and a tennis club membership it's heaven. It's literally like comparing a fake fern to a hemlock in regards to other areas of the state. There are a metric crap ton of UT fans in the Nashville area and on Gameday (see how I went with the big G lol) Interstate 40 is a river of Orange flowing East as Knoxville swells past capacity. West, Middle, and East all become Orange as we celebrate the greatest gift....Vols football.

We were raised listening to the games on radio, while our dad's yelled for wrenches working on cars. Work stopped for big plays. There were no pro sports here until recently so it was ALL Vol football. Grandad's recounted great battles of old to wide eyed children after a big win or loss. Johnny Majors came back home after winning a NC to fix things.

When Peyton announced he was returning the owner of the restaurant I was in in Nashville pulled out a bottle of Jack and started pouring everyone shots. It was lunch.

That's a snapshot and you'll need a few sit downs with the locals to gain more insight to what is truly one of the deepest running, heartfelt, lifestyle, and heritage that you'll ever encounter in any area of this country.

Go Vols!!

When I went to UT in 1971 I was amazed at how bad the Knoxville TV stations were. Having grown up near Nashville I was used to very good local TV news broadcasts and the poor Knoxville TV was a shock. A girl I dated told me how a girl that lived on her dorm floor went to one of the local stations and applied for a weather girl spot and got hired without any previous experience as a broadcaster or meteorologist. Very low standards. I used to cringe at the poor local commercials like the Caz Walker supermarket commercials. If you've never seen one you have missed a butt puckering treat. To each his own. I lived in Birmingham for 3 years while in school after UT and it was the same way though. I talked to a newscaster once in Birmingham who said he was reading the news one night and the guy running the teleprompter was so high that he passed out and the teleprompter went off. I would choose East Tn over West Tn though. Knoxville is remarkable, lol, junk post right there.
1971? It's 2020.

Howdy Vols,

Yea here's some advice. When u get to TN leave Texas in the past and forget about the Aggies. Adopt GBFO!!! and never look back.

VN Store

Back