After-Game Thread: Lady Vols versus Dozy BV Den Helder

Coach Jumper

I can be there tomorrow
group_DSC_1219.jpg

pasted from the LV website:

DEN HELDER, NETHERLANDS – Led by four players in double figures, the Tennessee women's basketball team opened its three-game European tour by rolling to a 97-45 victory over Dozy BV Den Helder on Thursday evening at Sportlaan 58 gymnasium.

Sophomore forward Rae Burrell joined junior forward Rennia Davis and sophomore guard Zaay Green as the team's leading scorers with 16 points each. Burrell added 10 rebounds, while freshman center Tamari Key contributed 15 points and 11 rebounds to give UT two with double-doubles. Den Helder was led by Janiek van Veen with 18 points.

"It was fun to finally get the team out on the floor and see them play," first-year Lady Vol head coach Kellie Harper said. "I think our players had a lot of fun playing together and facing a new opponent. It was good to get the win in our opener, and now we'll work on a few things and get ready for our next opponent in Belgium."

UT plays again at 8 p.m. local time (2 ET) on Saturday against Laarne at the Gemeentelijke Sporthall in Laarne, Belgium.

Junior center Kasi Kushkituah, redshirt senior forward Lou Brown and sophomore guard Jazmine Massengill all yanked down eight caroms vs. Den Helder, contributing to a 74-22 Big Orange advantage on the boards, including 34 on the offensive end. Massengill also added a team-high six assists, while six others had two or more dimes.

Tennessee scored off the opening tip, as Massengill grabbed the ball and fired it to a streaking Green for a layup. That bucket ignited a 9-0 introductory run that propelled the Lady Vols to a 24-12 lead after one. UT shot just 36 percent in the opening stanza but improved with each quarter, hitting 56.5 percent in the final frame to finish at 44.3 percent for the game. The Lady Vols ended up at 71 percent from the free throw line, hitting 17-of-24 overall, including eight of nine in the opening 20 minutes.

UT, which distributed minutes fairly evenly, blew the game open in the second period, outscoring the hosts 22-5 to take a 46-17 lead into the break. The Lady Vols also outscored Den Helder 22-12 in the third period and 29-16 in the fourth in improving to 22-7 all-time on foreign soil, including 15-7 vs. non-NCAA teams.

Defensively, UT limited the home team to 26.6 percent shooting from the field, including 23.8 percent from the three-point line. The Lady Vols also tallied 13 steals and forced the home team into 18 turnovers, including 12 in the first half. UT finished with 15 miscues, including just one in the third quarter.

++
Coach Kellie called for emphasis on stopping 3's and the girls responded.
This is what good coaches do in blowouts,,,they work on particulars..

group_DSC_1219.jpg

pasted from the LV website:

DEN HELDER, NETHERLANDS – Led by four players in double figures, the Tennessee women's basketball team opened its three-game European tour by rolling to a 97-45 victory over Dozy BV Den Helder on Thursday evening at Sportlaan 58 gymnasium.

Sophomore forward Rae Burrell joined junior forward Rennia Davis and sophomore guard Zaay Green as the team's leading scorers with 16 points each. Burrell added 10 rebounds, while freshman center Tamari Key contributed 15 points and 11 rebounds to give UT two with double-doubles. Den Helder was led by Janiek van Veen with 18 points.

"It was fun to finally get the team out on the floor and see them play," first-year Lady Vol head coach Kellie Harper said. "I think our players had a lot of fun playing together and facing a new opponent. It was good to get the win in our opener, and now we'll work on a few things and get ready for our next opponent in Belgium."

UT plays again at 8 p.m. local time (2 ET) on Saturday against Laarne at the Gemeentelijke Sporthall in Laarne, Belgium.

Junior center Kasi Kushkituah, redshirt senior forward Lou Brown and sophomore guard Jazmine Massengill all yanked down eight caroms vs. Den Helder, contributing to a 74-22 Big Orange advantage on the boards, including 34 on the offensive end. Massengill also added a team-high six assists, while six others had two or more dimes.

Tennessee scored off the opening tip, as Massengill grabbed the ball and fired it to a streaking Green for a layup. That bucket ignited a 9-0 introductory run that propelled the Lady Vols to a 24-12 lead after one. UT shot just 36 percent in the opening stanza but improved with each quarter, hitting 56.5 percent in the final frame to finish at 44.3 percent for the game. The Lady Vols ended up at 71 percent from the free throw line, hitting 17-of-24 overall, including eight of nine in the opening 20 minutes.

UT, which distributed minutes fairly evenly, blew the game open in the second period, outscoring the hosts 22-5 to take a 46-17 lead into the break. The Lady Vols also outscored Den Helder 22-12 in the third period and 29-16 in the fourth in improving to 22-7 all-time on foreign soil, including 15-7 vs. non-NCAA teams.

Defensively, UT limited the home team to 26.6 percent shooting from the field, including 23.8 percent from the three-point line. The Lady Vols also tallied 13 steals and forced the home team into 18 turnovers, including 12 in the first half. UT finished with 15 miscues, including just one in the third quarter.

++
Coach Kellie called for emphasis on stopping 3's and the girls responded.
This is what good coaches do in blowouts,,,they work on particulars..

Wish they would show the stats for this and all the games. With so many new players, and returning players playing more, would love to see what each one accomplished with her minutes played. GO LADY VOLS!

We all understand that these aren’t “real games” and that it’s so early for this team and staff for the stats for these exhibitions to be taken seriously. We get that.

But jeez. Would it hurt anyone to know whether Jessie has even taken a three? Has Lou been able to play much at all at this early point in her re-entry to the game? If so, has she scored yet? (I imagine that it would have been really, really nice for their families way down in Australia to seen their daughters’ names mentioned in ANY way for the Lady Vols in Europe.

What about our fourth-year senior, Kamera? Have she, Jaiden and Emily made any positive contributions at all?

Someone needs to remind UT that teams win and lose with the entire roster, so we need to see ALL of their names in game recaps and/or basic stats! How hard could it be to keep up with the number of shots taken and madeand the number of rebounds for each player since this is all we’ll have to chew on ‘til November?! lol

I’m gonna need some full-roster basic stats after Game 3, UT. Thanks. lol

We all understand that these aren’t “real games” and that it’s so early for this team and staff for the stats for these exhibitions to be taken seriously. We get that.

But jeez. Would it hurt anyone to know whether Jessie has even taken a three? Has Lou been able to play much at all at this early point in her re-entry to the game? If so, has she scored yet? (I imagine that it would have been really, really nice for their families way down in Australia to seen their daughters’ names mentioned in ANY way for the Lady Vols in Europe.

What about our fourth-year senior, Kamera? Have she, Jaiden and Emily made any positive contributions at all?

Someone needs to remind UT that teams win and lose with the entire roster, so we need to see ALL of their names in game recaps and/or basic stats! How hard could it be to keep up with the number of shots taken and madeand the number of rebounds for each player since this is all we’ll have to chew on ‘til November?! lol

From the looks of it everyone is playing minutes evenly split which is something Harper keeps saying. A lot of people playing a lot of min so I would think Lou is playing as many min as she is allowed to be with the coaches game plan. Kellie said she wanted to see what each player brings so to do that I would think they have to play. She also told them in a clip everybody wants to play so when you get in there do something with the minutes. I was impressed that we are getting stats on 6/7 players a game the write ups sorta remind me of the ones in seasons summing up the highs and lows.

Lou has scored on this trip it was on the latest highlight clip @45seconds. She looks to be getting up and down the floor OK but you can tell she isn’t where she will be. These 3 games against even inferior teams probably is giving her and some of the others a great chance to get some conditioning and contact against someone not in orange.

Does anybody remember if the last trip over seas had full game stats ?

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

Someone has to be charting things
Come Monday I will make a call or two and find out what I can

Exactly! I was questioning too about the aforementioned. Thanks for sharing.

From the looks of it everyone is playing minutes evenly split which is something Harper keeps saying. A lot of people playing a lot of min so I would think Lou is playing as many min as she is allowed to be with the coaches game plan. Kellie said she wanted to see what each player brings so to do that I would think they have to play. She also told them in a clip everybody wants to play so when you get in there do something with the minutes. I was impressed that we are getting stats on 6/7 players a game the write ups sorta remind me of the ones in seasons summing up the highs and lows.

Lou has scored on this trip it was on the latest highlight clip @45seconds. She looks to be getting up and down the floor OK but you can tell she isn’t where she will be. These 3 games against even inferior teams probably is giving her and some of the others a great chance to get some conditioning and contact against someone not in orange.

Does anybody remember if the last trip over seas had full game stats ?

It didn’t. The stats you see normally are produced by a team of 3-4 people that input into a program in real time by the host school. One person can’t do that and I can’t imagine UT or any team traveling a full stat crew to do that.

Regarding the question on Harris, I’d be very surprised if she plays many minutes this year. The new staff’s evaluation of her is much the same as the previous one.

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
It didn’t. The stats you see normally are produced by a team of 3-4 people that input into a program in real time by the host school. One person can’t do that and I can’t imagine UT or any team traveling a full stat crew to do that.

Regarding the question on Harris, I’d be very surprised if she plays many minutes this year. The new staff’s evaluation of her is much the same as the previous one.

Thank you. I appreciate and agree with what you’ve stated about the stats, and will add only that, I’m reasonably sure that the staff (be that coaches, administrators, both) will chart every shot, rebound, and any other imaginable stat, to which I think Coach Jumper was referring concerning this morning’s impending call. Again, thanks.

VN Store

Back