Adam Schefter on what he's hearing about whether there will be a 2020 CFB season

I am an MD and an epidemiologist at the CDC in Atlanta. You need to be prepared for what I’m telling you. I’m not “fear-monger if”, as you put it. This is the nature of this virus. You will see as it unfolds and what we know is disseminated to the public. That’s all I’m going to say.

First time I’ve been on VN in a few months, and probably the last for a while because it’s been unbelievable at work. I’ve worked 42 days straight until this past Thursday. You guys take care, take this very, very seriously and be twice as cautious as they are telling you to for twice as long. GBO.

I respect the heck out of your education and training, as well as your role on the frontline of this with the CDC.

At the same time, anyone can over-react. Anyone can hyperventilate, so to speak. Even professionals, even when the issue is directly in their field.

Things are going to return to normal, in almost every way, much sooner than you're predicting. Thank goodness.

Wish you the best as you continue to work the long hours. Know how exhausted you must be.

Go Vols!

If it doesn't make Bearded Vol happy, which is only gloom and doom just like he is with the football team, then it is fake news.

For someone who claims to care so much about football you have an ironically calloused attitude towards the health and safety of the actual people that make up the team and the coaching staff.

I am an MD and an epidemiologist at the CDC in Atlanta. You need to be prepared for what I’m telling you. I’m not “fear-monger if”, as you put it.

Ah, yes, the guy who works at the fear factory isn’t actually a fear monger.

Might want to actually read the article that explains the concept of 'herd immunity' instead of jumping on buzz words that you don't actually understand the concept of.

The sad fact is that herd immunity just isn't a solution to our pandemic woes.

The garbage epidemiologist (boasting a cartoonishly-absurd name) who authored the tripe that you decided to share couldn’t be more detached from reality. Herd immunity absolutely is a “solution to our pandemic woes” provided you’re able to stomach the associated fatalities. Even if one were to delude themselves into believing the heavily-exaggerated rate presently being bandied about, the death toll stemming from selecting the herd immunity route is eminently preferable to indefinitely isolating society in a country (be it Australia, about which I couldn’t care less, or the United States) and utterly destroying the economy.

We ran out of the water when Jaws ate Mrs. Kitner's boy on the raft. Shark attacks go down when we're all standing on land. Duh. But Bruce is still swimming around out there.

Who's gonna make the Mayor happy and get back in first?

This ain't over, folks. See: Spanish flu 1918-19. The first wave hit in March then cleared up. Then the virus mutated and came back with a vengeance in the Fall... killing people within 24 hours of symptoms. It then came back for a third wave in the Spring again.

Roughly 50 million people dead.

Maybe we'll have a vaccine in 6-9 months. Until then, life sucks... including no football. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Reactions: Purple Tiger
I like what you say til the end. If we wait til the vaccine is released, forget this year for anything, school, for those so inclined, church and all gatherings,, anything. At some point we will just have to suck it up and get on with life as usual, just treat it like anything else just respect it and use common sense when around others. Now,,, how do you address close quarters, such as the seating at Neyland ?

Well as I said, No New Cases and we will have knocked it out; if we maintain the sanitary habits, and keep the travel ban on. As for Neyland, I would suggest taking temps at the gates. Fever? No admittance. Plus I would think by September everyone would have been tested and have proof . Also, by then we will have the Meds necessary to cure the virus at first sign,(may have them now In Trials) and the motivation to treat everyone with them. This will remove the fear. People will still Die, but possibly from the regular Flu (35K last year?) The ONLY advantage of cov19 is that we have all become more sanitation conscious. This will pay dividends for a long time. I hope by the time Vaccines are available, Corona is just a bad memory. And I think it can be.

Reactions: savannahfan

The garbage epidemiologist (boasting a cartoonishly-absurd name) who authored the tripe that you decided to share couldn’t be more detached from reality. Herd immunity absolutely is a “solution to our pandemic woes” provided you’re able to stomach the associated fatalities. Even if one were to delude themselves into believing the heavily-exaggerated rate presently being bandied about, the death toll stemming from selecting the herd immunity route is eminently preferable to indefinitely isolating society in a country (be it Australia, about which I couldn’t care less, or the United States) and utterly destroying the economy.

LOL so now someone's name impacts their education and experience in the field of epidemiology?

Or is that just you not being able to keep your antisemitic tendencies in your head?

The key part of 'herld immunity' is immunity, of which right now humans have zero concerning covid 19, which is why herd immunity won't come into play on any significant level without a vaccine.

LOL so now someone's name impacts their education and experience in the field of epidemiology?

Or is that just you not being able to keep your antisemitic tendencies in your head?

There’s nothing “antisemitic” about pointing out how comical the author’s name is, but I’m not surprised that doing so offends your PC sensibilities.

We ran out of the water when Jaws ate Mrs. Kitner's boy on the raft. Shark attacks go down when we're all standing on land. Duh. But Bruce is still swimming around out there.

Who's gonna make the Mayor happy and get back in first?

This ain't over, folks. See: Spanish flu 1918-19. The first wave hit in March then cleared up. Then the virus mutated and came back with a vengeance in the Fall... killing people within 24 hours of symptoms. It then came back for a third wave in the Spring again.

Roughly 50 million people dead.

Maybe we'll have a vaccine in 6-9 months. Until then, life sucks... including no football. Hopefully I'm wrong.

IF they will quit doing "Blind Studies" and just Treat people with one or the other drugs they are testing, (the Malaria drug and the ebola/aids drug) Hell do a Blind Study with either of those Meds. There's your Data. You could see No New Cases within 30 days of stay home; and 95 masks when you shop; and many less fatalities. And evidence shows that healthcare workers can be protected with Hydroxychloroquine and Zinc. And so could the rest of us, to the point that we feel safe Living again.

I’ll admit it’s taken longer than expected (for me that is), but there are people in power starting to realize this can’t go on forever.

Govt can’t print a trillion dollars a month, pandemic or no pandemic.

Life has to go on

It's ABSURD to destroy the livelihoods of 100 million over 50-60,000 deaths...

Author of your article: Jeff Howe is an associate professor of journalism at Northeastern
Author of my article: Gideon Meyerowitz-Katz is an epidemiologist working in chronic disease in Sydney, Australia

Might want to actually read the article that explains the concept of 'herd immunity' instead of jumping on buzz words that you don't actually understand the concept of.

The sad fact is that herd immunity just isn't a solution to our pandemic woes. Yes, it may eventually happen anyway, but hoping that it will save us all is just not realistic. The time to discuss herd immunity is when we have a vaccine developed, and not one second earlier, because at that point we will be able to really stop the epidemic in its tracks. Until we have a vaccine, anyone talking about herd immunity as a preventative strategy for COVID-19 is simply wrong. Fortunately, there are other ways of preventing infections from spreading, which all boil down to avoiding people who are sick

But, this is the issue (and I'm not necessarily talking about football here. Ignore the aspect of sports in this).

Can we afford to sit around and wait for a vaccine? How long will that take?

Problem with herd immunity is we can’t handle the sick we have now, and why U.K. abandoned this theory. If our supply chain on medical supplies and caretakers was up to speed...maybe. That being said, check Germany cases. Very low because they got on it early, and had adequate medical supplies built up, and will probably return to normal early...along with soccer.
Germany Prepares for Soccer’s Return

The real reason the UK government pursued “herd immunity” – and why it was abandoned

There’s nothing “antisemitic” about pointing out how comical the author’s name is, but I’m not surprised that doing so offends your PC sensibilities.

Please, do elaborate on what is comical about his name, and how it impacts his credentials, education, or the content of the article.

But, this is the issue (and I'm not necessarily talking about football here. Ignore the aspect of sports in this).

Can we afford to sit around and wait for a vaccine? How long will that take?
No - Every year they dont even know if the flu shot is the right strain -- and still no vaccine was even found for a freaking cold virus

Last edited:
Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
I am an MD and an epidemiologist at the CDC in Atlanta. You need to be prepared for what I’m telling you. I’m not “fear-monger if”, as you put it. This is the nature of this virus. You will see as it unfolds and what we know is disseminated to the public. That’s all I’m going to say.

First time I’ve been on VN in a few months, and probably the last for a while because it’s been unbelievable at work. I’ve worked 42 days straight until this past Thursday. You guys take care, take this very, very seriously and be twice as cautious as they are telling you to for twice as long. GBO.

Thanks for your service, Bert. Now, let's see which VN idiot-posters completely ignore it, call you a troll and that you hate the Vols, Mr. Doomy-Gloomy.

It's ABSURD to destroy the livelihoods of 100 million over 50-60,000 deaths...

Beginning to agree with you on that. If I thought the Hospitals & Dr's would treat the sick with everything available in their toolbox, I'd be for reopening tomorrow. Unfortunately some are stuck on the "Unproven, Possible side effects" narrative. Politics is costing lives and Billions. UH TRILLIONS.

Things are looking better, everyone keep it up till the 30th. As bad as it has been, thank goodness the model projections were terrible off for whatever the reason. No doubt feeling good about how things are looking as a whole. God Bless us all. GBO!!!!

It's because they are models. Garbage in = garbage out. The climate models are just as bad. Complete rubbish. I have studied weather models for over 20 years and they have tons of data pouring into them. Still, they struggle more than 3 days out.

Poppa----
You know, you can still have your service. I am not sure God would care if you were the only one in attendance. Or are you wanting to be seen at worship? My interaction with the MAN doesn't require me to have an audience nor do I think he requires me to have one. So go ahead have your service, he will know it.
No where in his statement did he insinuate wanting to be seen at his service. He was making a lot of sense. Why would you suggest such a thing? Be better.

When I write what I do, I am not trying to discount the seriousness of this virus. I'm really not.

However, right now, there are millions, not a few thousand....not tens of thousands, but millions of Americans who are not able to work, not able to pay bills, etc.

Now, at some point, we have to worry about the millions. And the government handing out a check for (name your dollar amount here) is not going to solve the problem. You can not do this for months on end without dire consequences for an amount of people that dwarf those effected by the virus.

Personally, I've had to take a pay cut and I'm thankful because others aren't so lucky. But, it's only April 11th. If you carry this to June 1st, July 1st, August 1st, people are going to be begging to purchase a Hazmat suit in order to go back to work.

In addition, no one has any problem putting health care professionals (of which my wife is one) at risk, because we've deemed it to be a necessary risk. We have no qualms about putting their lives or the lives of their families at greater risk. At some point, we are going to need to ask the same of everybody.

Yes sir. Livelihoods are just as important as lives. I know that melts some people's hearts, but it's the truth.

I received an email this afternoon from a friend that works at another university that’s also in a P5 conference.

The university has left the door open to “the possibility” that football players, basketball players and other student athletes could return to campus to begin training and workouts this summer. It also keeps the door open for the university to host other campus events such as graduation, orientation and those things.

For someone who claims to care so much about football you have an ironically calloused attitude towards the health and safety of the actual people that make up the team and the coaching staff.

First of all, I am pretty sure that none of the players will die from this. Almost everyone under the age of 30 who contracts this is completely fine. The coaches will be fine too. Would be a small risk only to them. Second, as I said in another post that livelihoods mean just as much as lives. Ever look up to see who makes up the majority of fatalities? People over 70, People with Complications from heart disease, lung disease. and diabetes. The usual suspects. Now tell me why we should still keep a 22 trillion dollar economy shut down, particularly when we now have successful treatments for this? If the government wants to mandate stay at home orders it should be for those vulnerable, not for everyone else. They are dissembling some mass field hospitals as we speak. We can't hide in the corner and be whiny little pu$$ies over a weak azz virus all our lives. This happens. Time to get your antibodies to this and move on with life.

VN Store

Back